Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

m6 conversion problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:22 PM

m6 conversion problem

Hey all we are trying to do the six speen conv on my 95 T/A. we have followed the steps from this writeup http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm to a "T". The problem is the car won't start it the starter has no activity at all. No clicking or cranking at all. The brown and orange wires they say to connect into the sensor on the clutch are connected and we even have tried just wiring them together, still nothing. If any of you that have done the swap have any suggestions we would love to try them out. We want to have the car going by at least this weekend. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 09:51 PM

Re: m6 conversion problem

Are you getting a security light? Wiring can be a pain sometimes. When you say you wired them together, did you wire extensions together, or the actual wires that came out of the A4 selector? I just butt connected mine, been that way since day one. No issues really, except that it will start in gear, but heck a lot of cars did that before 1989.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:07 AM

yea, I tried just wiring them together right from the harness and it still doen't make a sound. I guess I could get the starter tested but it worked perfectly before. I don't know what it could be I need to figure this out. The cars pretty much done but it just won't start
Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 AM

ttt for ya
Old 04-20-2005, 11:15 AM

This is what "Fast Caddie" told me to do when i did mine. I never wired up the clutch sensor or reverse lights, or reverse lockout for that matter. Just the VSS. Sounds like you did the brown and orange instead of the yellow and brown. Worked for me, good luck.
To wire the reverse lights and hatch release, you have to work with the plug that goes into the side of the auto shifter assembly (inside the car, under the console). You cut the 6 wires off the harness and wire the large yellow and brown wires together so your starter will work (these are part of the ground circuit for the starter... this is what keeps you from starting an auto car in gears other than park and neutral, and in M6 cars, it's wired to a sensor on the clutch pedal so the starter won't work unless the pedal is depressed). The orange w/black stripe and black w/white stripe need to be connected to work your hatch release. And the last two wires (one green, and the other i can't remember right now) need to be connected to the reverse light plug in the trans. Just get some speaker wire and run it from these wires through the hole you cut for the M6 shifter and connect them to the reverse light plug. That's about all the wiring you need to do. The CAGS and reverse lock out don't need to be connected... it's hard enough to engage reverse in these cars and you'd have to be REALLY uncorordinated to push the shifter into the reverse gate when going from 4th to 5th gear. Feel free do wire it in, however.

Last edited by SSmoked; 04-20-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:39 PM

I have the brown and orange 12 guage wires connected I checked to make sure. All the wires that were on the wire pack that were in the connector are wired up. I have no Idea whats going on. The car has a gm security system with that horn thing under the hood. we cut those black and red wires that were connected to it but then we hooked them back up still nothing. No security light is on either. there was a little box under the dash with a red light and a little white **** but it had a connecter coming out of it with four wires but it wasn't connected to anything. I'm so lost. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 PM

any additional info would be great. thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeezT/A
any additional info would be great. thanks
Read This

wire the large yellow and brown wires together so your starter will work (these are part of the ground circuit for the starter... this is what keeps you from starting an auto car in gears other than park and neutral, and in M6 cars, it's wired to a sensor on the clutch pedal so the starter won't work unless the pedal is depressed).

Now read what you said you did.

I have the brown and orange 12 guage wires connected I checked to make sure.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Yep... I had the same problem. Just hook the brown and yellow wires into each other (if you already haven't).
Old 04-21-2005, 05:04 PM

just checked the wires agin and the yellow and brown are conected just as they should be. i am going to take the starter in and have it checked to see if it works. any more ideas?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:57 PM

did you try jumping the starter solenoid?? I dont even have my starter going through the key...I have a push button start...what wiring have you done so far?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:33 PM

do you have a charged battery in?, or is your battery hooked up?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:31 PM

Bypass the switch for now... just hook the brown and yellow wires into each other to see if it starts.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:15 PM

The battery is hooked up and still no starter activity. And the brown and yellow wires are just butt connected up by the shifter just to make sure. How do I just wire it up to a starter button? Thats looking to be a good option if I can't figure it out. Also if I do just wire up a start button would I be able to just turn the key then hit the button to fire it? Thanks for the help so far everyone.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:50 PM

I did the swap one time and didn't seem to have too many problems. You might want to use a meter and check for voltage on the yellow and black wires. I can't remember which has the 12volts on it, but one should have power with the key on. If neither does, then you might have a blown fuse.

Quick Reply: m6 conversion problem