Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Proform Universal Pinion Depth Setting Tool HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:20 PM

Proform Universal Pinion Depth Setting Tool HELP!!

I purchased this tool around a year back thinking I would use it to freshen/rebuild the Moser 12 bolt rear in my Z this spring.I have set more than a few gear sets up before so I know the processes involved and I usually go by the tooth pattern with marking compound to figure out pinion depth.Well I wanted to set this one up to Richmond specs exactly (being **** about it so hopefully it doesn't whine this time) so I purchased the Proform tool hoping to make this a one shot deal.I always use the honed head bearing on the pinion so swapping shims is easy..but how the he** do I set this tool up?Does anyone have experience with it?I know there are better tools out there for this process..but I have this one and it is paid for..so I need to make it work.The instructions included with it leave alot to be desired...in other words they suck.I have done searches on the board finding members mentioning the tool..but no one seems to mention set up or use??Proform seems to be of no help either..emailed there Tech and the sent me a PDF of the same instructions.Please help!!I am hoping to finish this before the summer is over.I want to use the damn tool so I can feel like I spent the $100 for some reason..please help!!TIA
Old 08-28-2004, 11:05 PM

Re: Proform Universal Pinion Depth Setting Tool HELP!!

i am right with you on this. i bought the same tool and am planning the install next weekend but i'm still trying to figure out how to set it up. the instructions are really half a$$.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:05 AM

I ended up selling the POS Proform tool.I set the gears up the 'ole fashioned way..with a honed pinion bearing and trial and error.I tried using the tool for about two days.I got is set up correctly but it would never give an accurate reading..along with the fact the readings were different every single time.Do yourself a favor and get rid of it and get your money back...seriously.I advise anyone looking into this tool..DON'T BUY IT.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 AM

well, i doubt i can get my money back but i also need a dial indicator to measure backlash so i'm thinking about fabricating a bracket that bolts to the housing to hold the guage from the Proform POS tool against the ring gear. that way i'll get some use from it.
i've got an extra bearing honed out and plan on starting out with the same amount of shims used on the set that's in it now.
BTW, how much gear marking compound did you use? i got a 1 oz tube from the local GM dealer but that doesn't look like much. should i get 2 or 3 more tubes in case i have to paint the gears several times.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:30 PM

You will probably end up running the stock shim..but check gear pattern to be 100% sure.I used the included 1oz squeeze pack that cam with the gears from Richmond..still had like 1/4 left when done..and I went thru many pattern checks.You'll have enough.