Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by KYWes
These are the numbers I'm getting off my Valeo Clutch kit pressure plate. This is not some other sellers kit, like AutoZone, but the Valeo kit. Do these numbers look right? I'm trying make sure I didn't get the wrong PP. The PP does have Valeo stamped on it.

382109-D0
187384 or maybe 167384.

These numbers look familiar?

My clutch guy says there number for the kit is K0082 HD. Any famliarity with that kit number.

Car is 95 Z28 M6
This is straight from Valeo on the pressure plate.....I had just emailed him the number on my "SLP" modded LT4 pressure plate(382109-D0).

"Actually, the part number for that assy. is 167954, the 382109 number is for the aluminum cover by itself not the whole assembly."

I think you have the right kit.

You can check it here.....http://www.valeoclutches.com/mysearch.asp
Old 01-30-2009, 07:49 AM

I added this info to the list.
If anyone has part numbers to any kit in the list please post them. Some of these kits just say "performance clutch kit"
Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 AM

The Valeo kit number for 93-97 Z28's, Trans-Am's, and Formula's is.....

This kit comes with the LT4 plate and valeo disk(stock GM).

I got mine on ebay from here.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALEO...Q5fAccessories

I want to post up my thread on the "white x" on the flywheel and the yellow, red, or white dot on the LT4 pressure plate. It also documents my vibration troubles with the Autozone Duralast kit.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=663827
Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 AM

I now have the NU31265 kit that is a Chinese knockoff at Auto Zone/Schucks/OReilly etc. and it is working quite well...smooth at take off, holds well (but I am still in the 500 mile break in period so not jumping on it yet) and no vibration (balanced ok). I'll keep you all posted. Oh, I also have a reman flywheel that is a GM part and is $59 after core return. All is well again...so far... Total cost for clutch and flywheel parts < $300.00
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The Autozone clutch is the same LT4 pressure plate you can get from GM for a lot less. The Autozone disk is a very similar OEM organic disk you can get from GM for a lot less but is best for bone stock applicatios. The pressure plate is the exact same pressure plate as Spec, Centerforce excluding the weights, SLP excluding the holes and even Mcleod, zoom etc. In fact Spec just paints them blue, throws a sticker on them and jacks them $200+. The best thing about the Autozone clutch is the lifetime warranty. Guess what, the Autozone TOB is the same too.

There are only 2 pressure plates in existence for LTx cars. The LT1 plate fingers are ribbed and the LT4 fingers are flat, they even share the exact same casting number on the surface of the PP. I am personally not convinced that the LT4 plate is stronger, I have a LT1 plate that has 10#+ more pressure than my SLP plate. You can even have your stock pp resurfaced as a cheaper alternative.

All aftermarket clutches have the exact same LT4 pressure plate right down to the casting number period, they are all made by Valeo or a Chinese knocker. I once saw the chinese knock-off, it had no Valeo logos at all, it came from Advance Auto Parts and even looked better than the valeo. Most of the current Valeo PP's have rough finish and flashing that makes them look bad, bt this is only cosmetic.

There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to beef-up or strengthen these pull type pressure plates, they are what they are. The key to stronger clutches lies in the disk, the aftermarkets makes their own custom disks out of organic, ceramic, Kevlar etc. I had a local clutch maker make me a dual friction composite asbestos/Kevlar disk for my ride, it grabbed good and engaged buttery smooth when I was making 300 RWHP. Now I am much closer to 400 RWHP and I get a bit of slipping when I beat on it.
I just bought a Spec 3 and let me tell you that Spec modifies there Valo PP Alot!!!! It's lighter then the stock one and I can NOT put a flat edge accrost the face because it hits the TO bearing. they LOOK the same BUT they are NOT!!!! I'll try to get Pics up of the differance.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 PM

Just trying to keep the research results going. I just purchased the Spec Billet flywheel and a Ram Powergrip HD clutch kit. I suppose the pressure plate included with the ram clutch kit is the chinese knock off since it doesnt say Valeo anywhere on it. All pieces are supposed to be zero balance, but I dont see any spots on the pressure plate where material has been removed for balancing. Considering what I've read in this post I decided to play it safe and dropped the flywheel and pressure plate off today to have the balance checked on them. I'll report with the balance results and pics of the Ram pressure plate next to a stock pressure plate when I get them back from the shop.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Great idea. Thanks for posting about this. I'm using the SPEC Billet Flywheel also. I'm using the SPEC Stage 4 clutch pressure plate. It's holding my turbo powered car perfectly. No slipping at all. I installed it in 2004.

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
Just trying to keep the research results going. I just purchased the Spec Billet flywheel and a Ram Powergrip HD clutch kit. I suppose the pressure plate included with the ram clutch kit is the chinese knock off since it doesnt say Valeo anywhere on it. All pieces are supposed to be zero balance, but I dont see any spots on the pressure plate where material has been removed for balancing. Considering what I've read in this post I decided to play it safe and dropped the flywheel and pressure plate off today to have the balance checked on them. I'll report with the balance results and pics of the Ram pressure plate next to a stock pressure plate when I get them back from the shop.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Centerforce make a flywheel. (Centerforce 700177) steel billet and about 500 buck.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 PM

The SPEC is a billet flywheel w/Removable counterweight (for neutral balance) and is only $345 retail.

Originally Posted by camaro383ci
Centerforce make a flywheel. (Centerforce 700177) steel billet and about 500 buck.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 95zsean
I just bought a Spec 3 and let me tell you that Spec modifies there Valo PP Alot!!!! It's lighter then the stock one and I can NOT put a flat edge accrost the face because it hits the TO bearing. they LOOK the same BUT they are NOT!!!! I'll try to get Pics up of the differance.
I am very anxious to see these photos. Please take numerous shots and put this issue to rest.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM

I just got my 2 piece rear seal externally balanced centerforce steel flywheel in and how do you know which way to mount the clutch to it. It doesn't have any marks on it. I don't have my clutch but i plan on running the lt4 pp and havn't decided on the disc. Is there a certain way i have to mount the pp to the flywheel. I the previous post it says something about lining up marks. What do I do or will I be ok?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
Results are in. The Spec flywheel was balanced perfectly right out of the box. The pressure plate however was off by 14 grams . That really irritates me that such an expensive clutch set comes with an out of balance pressure plate . It only cost me 40.00 to have the balancing done, but after paying 500.00 thats something I dont think I should have to concern myself with.

P.S. They called me on the phone to tell me it was ready and thats when I got all the info about the pressure plate, so I dont have it back yet. I'll have the pics I promised after I get it back

Last edited by breakmyfootoff; 03-27-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:24 PM

OK, here's the pics.

I'm assuming the pressure plate that came with my t-56 was a stock replacement from one of your typical auto parts chains since it was a Valeo PP and the clutch looked to be fairly new.
The pp tha came with the Ram Clutch is on the left and the Valeo pp on the right
[IMG][/IMG]

Closer shot of the Ram pp
Name:  DSC02091.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  134.8 KB

Closer shot of Valeo pp
[IMG][/IMG]

The pp that came with the Ram clutch had absolutely no material removed for balancing when I got it out of the box and was out of balance by 14 grams. Here are the spots where material was removed from the Ram pp by the machine shop during balancing.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Valeo pp that came out had holes from the balancing process, so it was a balanced unit, but I cant say whether or not it came that way or if it was balanced by the previous owner. Also note that the Valeo pp needed less material removed to be balanced, there were only 3 drilled spots on it as opposed to the 5 spots they had to drill out on the pp that came with the Ram clutch. Heres pics of the balancing spots on the Valeo pp
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After closely inspecting both units they appear to be virtually identical except for the valeo name casting. If you buy a clutch kit and it hasnt had any material removed for balancing, I would either return it or have it balanced.

Last edited by breakmyfootoff; 03-29-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM

ok so i have a 96 trans am w/ 6speed and my clutch is slipping, so what yall are saying is that i need to go to oriellys/autozone and buy the lt4 kit part#31265 and use the pp and not the disk? then where do i get my disk from and what kind? i am on a low budget so please any help would be greatly appreciated, only mods really are lt headers and shorty throw shifter, and K&N cai...so please let me know what way i should go to
Old 03-31-2009, 08:30 PM

To figure out what its gonna cost you to get the pieces separately you'll have to figure out what you want first. There are a few companies that will let you buy the clutch disc by itself listed in the original post. For me the price would have worked out like this.

Autozone clutch set 237.00
Clutchnet.com clutch 200.00 (I think you can also get the Spec stage4 for about this price)
for a total of 437.00 (IF you dont end up having to balance the pressure plate)

What it cost me to go with a Ram kit
Ram powergrip HD clutch kit w/pressure plate 500.00
Balancing the pressure plate 65.00
total of 565.00

If you dont race the car that much you might even be able to just use the stock replacement disc that comes with the Autozone kit and get off for a measly 237.00 bucks

I definitely had to spend more buying it as a kit from Ram, and its the same exact pressure plate. Next time I'll be getting the Autozone kit for the pressure plate and ordering my clutch disc separately to save a few bucks. Plus when you buy the clutch kit at autozone you can open it immediately to see if its balanced or not.

Quick Reply: We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options