Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:54 PM

If you get a spec disc there thicker then the factory disc. By about .050 thousands of a inch. Im not sure if that would cause a problem but the tech guy at spec says it will, but he could just be saying that to get you to buy there pp.

I just got my Ram powergrip HD and its identical to the factory lt4 pp. Actually to me it looks like someone has already run the pp and I'm not impressed. I'd at least figure the pp would look all new a everything but nope it looks used. The pp surface where the clutch rides is machined but besides that looks used. The aluminum looks like junky and spotted.
You can pick it up on jeg's for 479.00.

I dropped it off my clutch with the flywheel to get balanced. Will see what they say after I get the pp bolts. GM dicontinued the bolts so ive had to get 3 bolts from one dealership and 2 from another and a couple from another.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 PM

hey breakmyfootoff, how do u know if it has been balanced or not? this is my first time messing with the clutch and i think i am gonna have a mechanic i know put it in for me cause i have never done it before!! but like i said its pretty much all stock right now, and im not sure performance wise what i will do next probably nothing major, just looks as it is right now, but i am gonna get the autozone/oriellys lt4 kit, so u think i should put the oem disk back in or get one like mcleod or spec? how much does those run?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by camarostripe96
hey breakmyfootoff, how do u know if it has been balanced or not? this is my first time messing with the clutch and i think i am gonna have a mechanic i know put it in for me cause i have never done it before!! but like i said its pretty much all stock right now, and im not sure performance wise what i will do next probably nothing major, just looks as it is right now, but i am gonna get the autozone/oriellys lt4 kit, so u think i should put the oem disk back in or get one like mcleod or spec? how much does those run?
For balancing, look for the holes drilled in the pressure plate edges. The problem was documented above with the RAM pressure plate and I have documented it with the Duralast Pressure Plate.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=663827

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Ok gents, I've got an update.

My Valeo LT4 clutch kit arrived today. Here is the kit.....

There is a difference between Valeo and the Duralast that is major(in my opinion).

Here is the Valeo LT4.....

Here is the Duralast LT4....

The drilled holes in edges of the pressure plate are where Valeo BALANCED the plate. The Duralast one does not have any weight drilled out of it. It appears that the Duralast one is not balanced. I have been through two new Duralast ones and both have bad vibrations above 4000rpms.

For reference again....my SLP plate has weight drilled out of it.....it is a Valeo LT4 plate.

I'll know for certain if the Valeo is right when I put this bad boy in tonight. I'll update then.
I had ZERO balance problems with the Valeo pressure plate.

Edit 7-3-10: Updating thread with where to get a Valeo clutch kit.

http://www.oereplacement.com/advance...=CLUTCH%20KITS

http://www.oereplacement.com/

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 AM

Well, I said I would report back here when I had my new clutch kit for awhile. I am up to 1200 miles on my new Duralast kit with no funky vibrations (ACE1252) at up to 6000 rpm or chatter and it grabs as well as a good stock clutch. The SPEC 2 I had was done and not driveable by this point of mileage. The cheap Duralast was installed in the same shop, in the same way as the SPEC. Tells me that the shop is competent and that the rest of the existing components in my car are still working fine. The only thing left is what another member said, "You must have a faulty (SPEC) kit." Now if SPEC customer service would only make this right and offer some form of partial or complete refund. Better not hold my breath But hey, I am really happy with my Duralast! It doesn't even have the balancing holes in the post above.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 AM

I wouldnt use a spec 3 or lower. Nothing with a sprung hub. After mine cracked and came apart I wont ever touch one again. One the other hand they offered me a stage 4 for half price so I took it. Its a 6 puck solid disc and they tried to talk me into the stage 3 but once again I didnt want their springs. Ive run it several years now and absolutely love it. They say you cant slip it and its rough etc, but I can drive this thing like its stock. Very smooth, and doesnt slip a bit when I let out all the way. Even with drag radials it holds very nice
Old 10-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Ive ran with the centerforce dual friction and it had to good grip. The only problem that I had out of it was that I didn't use lock tite on the clutch fork and the screw kept coming out and burnt up the discs and the pressure plate. I would run with it again after I finish my engine build and give you some info on it a little later on.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
I wouldnt use a spec 3 or lower. Nothing with a sprung hub. After mine cracked and came apart I wont ever touch one again. One the other hand they offered me a stage 4 for half price so I took it. Its a 6 puck solid disc and they tried to talk me into the stage 3 but once again I didnt want their springs. Ive run it several years now and absolutely love it. They say you cant slip it and its rough etc, but I can drive this thing like its stock. Very smooth, and doesnt slip a bit when I let out all the way. Even with drag radials it holds very nice

I don't know how you like that thing man. It's ON or OFF, and it's barely lasts at all. If you look at the amount of material on the pads before you hit the rivets it's almost nothing. I got a stage 3+ that I'm happy with so far. As long as it doesn't crack.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by blue
I don't know how you like that thing man. It's ON or OFF, and it's barely lasts at all. If you look at the amount of material on the pads before you hit the rivets it's almost nothing. I got a stage 3+ that I'm happy with so far. As long as it doesn't crack.
My Spec stage 3+ is still going but it is not quite as grippy as it used to be. I dont detect slippage but it does not bark the tires as much any more. When it was new, it was so grippy, it would destroy a 10 bolt almost instantly if you dumped it.

I am very anxious to see the Monster LT1 clutches when they come out hopefully early next year.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:04 PM

Hello all, new to the board, I found this thread extremely helpful and have a question I'm hoping I can get some help with. Does the pedal pressure vary much from the Valeo LT4 pressure plate to the Centerforce DFX?..thx Ron
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 AM

Huh? What Monster LT1 clutches ?
Got any links on that?
I just took off all my T56 stuff
  • Viper internals T56
  • SPEC Billet Flywheel(Resurfaced and rebalanced)
  • SPEC Stage 4 pressure plate(balanced)
  • PRO 5.0 shifter
  • Hurst T-Handle w/built in LineLock button
to put on a built th350 w/vigilante.
I ran the SPEC Stage 4 clutch from 2003 till this past Sept thru a Nitroused 355, a solid roller cammed 383 and the current 600rwhp Turbo 355 and it held fine. It is amazing to see how very thin the clutch material is on the brand new SPEC 4 clutch disc. Your first thought upon seeing it is "This is going to be useless in a year at most" but it held perfectly fine until my last trip to the drag strip in Sept 2009. At that point, it wasn't that it wouldn't hold. It was that it wouldn't farkin let go. Lol.... That lasted several minutes. After that, I was able to drive it home and it was normal. I just decided for the sake of ultimate boost performance on the track, I'd go back to the TH350.
Originally Posted by wrd1972
......I am very anxious to see the Monster LT1 clutches when they come out hopefully early next year.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Pulling a Centerforce DFX 11361020 pressure plate and dual friction disk out of my car...low miles....plate alone goes for over $500 at Summit...looking for $250 for both...anyone interested?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 PM

I brought a Valeo LT4 clutchkit direct from them at their ebay store for $268 shipped and now I'm looking for a disc to hold about 450-460 rwhp and 430-450 rwtq na then the occasional 150-200 N2o hit. I was looking at this disc from Clutchnet.com, what do you guys think, will it work for me?
http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php...4&cat=0&page=3
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Was it a Valeo store on ebay or someone elses store selling Valeo...I ask since I could not find a Valeo store...if someone else can you let me know who...How is that Valeo LT4 kit, I'm wanting to install that in place of my Centerforce DFX ...for a lighter pedal...thx
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Google gripforce-clutches I think that was the ebay store name, anyway I paid $268 shipped for the complete Valeo LT4 clutch kit but I'm building an all forged, splayed billet 4 bolt main 383 with LE3 heads & LE ported intake, 847 cam yada yada yada so I want a better disc than the stock LT4. I found some nice discs on Clutchnet.com and I am going to order the disc this weekend when I get paid.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 87Aerocoupe
Google gripforce-clutches I think that was the ebay store name, anyway I paid $268 shipped for the complete Valeo LT4 clutch kit but I'm building an all forged, splayed billet 4 bolt main 383 with LE3 heads & LE ported intake, 847 cam yada yada yada so I want a better disc than the stock LT4. I found some nice discs on Clutchnet.com and I am going to order the disc this weekend when I get paid.
I have got that exact clutch in my car right now, in my sig. Its VERY STRONG! and holds anything i throw at it. havent been tot he track yet, but im not worried about the clutch. I have Nittos (nt555r) in the back, and it can break them loose if i want to.

here is the pic of the disk next to a LT4 Disk

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/816/dscn2118y.jpg

Quick Reply: We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options