Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Whats the going rate to have a T56 Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:52 PM

Whats the going rate to have a T56 Rebuilt?

Just curious if anybody has had this done and how much they spent

Thanks in advance
Channon
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

Re: Whats the going rate to have a T56 Rebuilt?

I thought they were pretty much bulletproof.
-b
Old 08-30-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bdc95ta
I thought they were pretty much bulletproof.
-b
Theyre strong, but that doesnt mean stuff cant go wrong wtih them. Mine's 3rd gear synchro is a little rough, I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this question as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:35 PM

Im curious, mines fine but im hoping to break the 500hp mark soon. So its always a possibility.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:41 PM

I think the t-56 is actually rated for like 400hp or something like that. I'm not sure on the going rate. It has been discussed before. Some companies are selling built t-56s for like 2-3k. They are supposed to handle a but load then. I know a guy near me that is running the t-56 has a 383 LS1 makes like 480hp and 480tq and it's still living but he had it rebuilt.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Honestly it's like $900.00 on up .. that $900.00 being rare...

I got qoutes for like $1,200...
To be serious with you Parts for the T-56 are cheap as ever... I'm taslking synchros and all.

It's not that hard to rebuild these things once you see for yourself... it's intiminating to look at but very simple.

Most important tools you'll need are an O-ring extractor... & an available Press.

There's a Borg Warner T-56 rebuild guide out there that is dead on.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:08 PM

is there somebody you can ship it to who will rebuild them...stronger...with a good reputation...
Old 08-31-2004, 02:49 PM

There's a few T56 performance guys out there like D&D Transmissions, and Westtech Automotive, but if you have the parts there should be a local shop with T56 experience. Checkout the viper and vette clubs in your area, guarnateed someone knows a guy.

Personally I wouldn't give my T56 to anyone but Kirkland Transmission here in WA. Their local T56 expert has done dozens of build-ups, installed every performance clutch on the market, and worked on every model of T56 out there. The whole staff are friendly car nuts and have always been professional and knowledgable with me and my race team. Coincidentally their T56 guy frequents this board from time to time and has his own 4th gen running 10's through a 4L60E (rumor has it he was running 11's on a 10-bolt without problems... how? I have no idea).

But yes, there are plenty of people who want to rebulid these, but I'd definitely ask around for some endorsements first.

Must-have rebuild parts:
- Carbon-fiber syncros
- Viper 3-4 shift fork
- new bearings (duhh)

Expensive, but durable upgrades:
- Viper output shaft conversion (requires a 31-tooth yolk on the DS, and careful machining of the extention housing)
- VESPAR <sp?> high-temp shift fork pads (for high-temp reace duty... and nearly indesructable)
- oil cooler... requires tapping the case and including a small pump to handle moving the hot oil.
- GTO/93-Fbody OD gears... good for Open Road Racing with high speeds that actually use 5th gear, otherwise keeping the deep stock gears will save you MPG
- fully splined Viper output shaft... helps keep 5th and 6th gear in place, and permits changing gear independant of eachother. Again, only nessesary for those with HIGH torque, and operating at HIGH vehicle speeds. Requires custom/matching gears machined for the splines.
- straight-cut gears... a bit crazy for a street-driven car, but definitely stronger than the helical-cut gears we're used to. Expect plenty of lash noise, although you'll be able to pop the tranny out of gear at high loads that helical gears won't permit. Good for WOT racing...
- the 2004+ viper gears also have longer/thicker teeth on the gears for engauging the syncros better... again, good for replacement, but probably not cost-effective for a street-strip build up.

There might be more, but as you can see its basically a list of HOW much farther you want to go with this. Sure the Z06 uses triple-syncro's on 1st gear, but it doesn't interchange with the Viper/Fbody/CobraR/03+Cobra design... just like the vette output shafts (which are available in 300M for high torque capability).

Unless you're running ultra-high speeds (Bonneville / ORR), or high speeds for very long times (endurance road racing... say 8+ hours?), you'll be fine with a master rebuild kit, the must have's above. MAYBE the viper output shaft conversion would be useful for high-TQ shocks (like say... slicks at the drag strip with high TQ / low 60' launches)... but it's fairly pricey and only needed for drag racing from what I've been told.