Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Whose good on clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:17 AM
S.E. Region Moderator

Whose good on clutches?

Well, after 3 years and 6000 miles its clutch time

My SPEC stage 2 is slipping like a *****, and I've got the bird at my buddies shop with the tranny waiting to be pulled. So whose got the best bang for the buck (i might go with another SPEC).

I've just go CAI,Exhaust,Headers and a few other misc things. I'm out of the loop. Whose good these days?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hey KWKSLVR, there is a fairly new forum here... the Drivetrain forum. I'll move this over there
Old 09-22-2003, 03:18 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Thanks buddy! Thats what I get for making a groggy post after 3 hours of sleep.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:29 PM

Even though the SPEC is less expensive than the Street Twin, 6,000 miles isn't much! I wore out a ST, but that was after 12,000 miles in a 4,100lb combo with >700rwhp and included a couple of accidental 3rd gear 5,000rpm launches at the strip. At that, McCleod made it like new for $400. So I'd say ST all the way.

Rich Krause
Old 09-22-2003, 05:24 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Well, it’s the weirdest thing. We can't figure out what killed it. Steve97Z, a bunch of the other Nashville crew and myself installed it. It was definitely a good install. Between all of us we've probably done 80 clutch installs on various cars over the years

I didn’t have the desire to work on it this time around so I took her to a trusted shop (needed A/C work anyway). They yanked the tranny today and upon further inspection I discovered that the flywheel is still smooth but has some serious burn marks on it. The clutch disk itself has burn marks on it, but the Kevlar is worn smooth and isn’t excessive. Now, the pilot bearing has what I think is too much flex in it. You can also see where some of the fingers on the pressure plate have a mark or to (not so much a ding) from the play in the bearing as well. But over all it doesn't look grenaded, just burned . I wish I had a digi cam to take some shots for you guys.

My mechanic did hand me a bolt that was sandwiched inside the boot around the slave cylinder. It popped out when he removed the assembly. The head of the bolt is chewed and the threads are shredded. This, in itself is interesting. What is even more interesting is the fact that we have NO idea where it came from or what it goes to. I've never seen a bolt like this on an F-Body. Somehow, something nicked the outside of the pressure plate because there is slight but definite damage on the outside of it in one place.

The car has been down for 6 months because it needed a fuel pump. It worked fine before she went down but at some point, while sitting, decided to go bye bye. The only theory I have is that before it went down I tried to pop in a CVR Starter that never would quite catch the flywheel right so I yanked it out and put the stock one back in. I don't see how that would have damaged the pressure plate, but the nick on the pressure plate looks like it might have been consistent with that starter gear. I’m clueless on the cause of this but its more than premature wear. I guess it’s probably linked to the stock pilot bearing. The inside of the flywheel also has uneven shaft wear so now I’m debating if I need to replace the flywheel along with the disk/pressure plate.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-22-2003, 05:27 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Also, to go back to this mysterious bolt, if it really fell out from where my mechanic said then I don't see how it could have done any damage. Even though its pretty chewed
Old 09-22-2003, 06:15 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Alright, heres the cheapest setup I can come up with (which pains me seeing how I have a bolt on car)

Stock Pressure plate/TOB = 245.62
Stock Flywheel = 151.63
SLP or Mcleod Disk = 99.99
Total = 497.24

Anyway to beat that?