Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Would a different TQ arm really help traction that much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM

Would a different TQ arm really help traction that much?

As of now my car has BMR boxed LCA, relocation brackets, and a rear airbag. I can notice a big difference with overall traction after installing the LCAs with the brackets, the brackets making the biggest difference. But now I have the problem where the suspension feels like it loads up to the point it cant hold, and then the tires break loose, then grab, etc...causing a wheel hop that I never use to have because the tires would just light up the whole time. Would an aftermarket TQ arm fix this problem, or at least help? Also, what is the advanted of an arm that bolts to the car itself up front instead of the tail shaft of the tranny?

Aaron
Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 PM

Re: Would a different TQ arm really help traction that much?

I would also like to know? Anyone?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 PM

Yes a new torque will help you out. BRM's are very good. As for the advantage of an arm that bolts to the car itself opposed to the tail shaft of the tranny. Is that it reduce's tail shaft housing stress and flex or possilbly breaking your tail shaft itself. Not common, but possible. When its monted to the car itself, you take all those factors away, and keep your rear end in one spot always. Thus reducing wheel hop, ect.. So you can't go wrong with a new torque arm.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:52 PM

I'll give a little different perspective. An aftermarket TA will not necessarily change your Instant Center geometry a great deal. It is certainly much more rigid than the factory piece. This can be both a blessing and a curse. If your having severe wind-up problems with the stock TA you may be on the verge of twisting it into a pretzel (been there). The down side of a very rigid TA is that drive shaft torque is transmitted to the wheels more abruptly (due to increased chassis stiffness)and may either plant the tires or break them loose.Also the additional stiffness adds additional stress to drivetrain components such as Ring & Pinion, T56 Output Shaft, etc. Now, My disclaimer here is that all of the above really only becomes significant during hard launch 4500+ RPM clutch dump drag racing.

FWIW - I was getting the same 60' times with my stock Torque arm that I get with Spohn. I just needed the strength cause the stocker "expired"

Last edited by SABLT194; 01-25-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by SABLT194
IAlso the additional stiffness adds additional stress to drivetrain components such as Ring & Pinion, T56 Output Shaft, etc. Now, My disclaimer here is that all of the above really only becomes significant during hard launch 4500+ RPM clutch dump drag racing.
this may be true , its an advantage and a dissadvantage, the TA is design to reduce wheel hop which we all know is one major factor of rear end failures,

they have both their pros and cons
Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 PM

O.K guys im going to make this super easy,I went from a stock torque arm to a bmr trac-pac adjustable.Previous best was a 1.60 60ft with my 28x 11.50 e/t streets, new best after new arm with -2 degrees pinion angle was a 1.48 60 ft and 1.5 ft of air under the front left tire. adjustable arms work and its been proven time and again, Its far more rigid and allows for critical pinion angle adjustments for ultimate traction.I also run air bags as well,mostly to cure a hard hook to the left when the front wheels left the ground.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:08 AM

I cut decent 60's with a stock TA....never had a problem.

Things to consider....will it work with a bigger exhaust down the road...how much noise do you want to hear from the rear that you might hear because of the TA?

Some pretty fast guys running stock TA's....IMO.