Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Finally doing it, need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:30 AM

Question Finally doing it, need a little advice

I have decided to take the next step with my car and order a 396 short block from Victory Racing Engines..But I have a few questions.

Engine package I am ordering
Callies Drangonslayer 3.875" Stoke 4340 Crank
Compstar H-Beam Connecting Rods
Diamond Pistons & rings (What compression ratio should I shoot for?)
Clevite connecting rod bearings
ARP Main Studs
Dura-Bond Cam Bearings
Balancing
Block Machining
Blueprinting and Assembly

To go with that I have a bunch of parts that I have been buying slowly to include:
AI ported LT1 heads - CC977 springs, Ferrea 2.0 6000s intake, Ferrea 1.6 6000s Exhaust, CC730 retainers, .530 Teflon seals, average chamber volume is 55.6cc (Intake CFM is 277 from .550-.650 lift, Exhaust 202 & .650)
Cometic gaskets for everything
CC 224 Int 236 Exh @ .50 115LSA
4130 Chromoly pushrods, comp 875-16 pro magnum hydraulic roller lifters, comp Hi-tech stainless 1.6 rockers
AS&M 58mm throttlebody
ATI Super Damper, GM extreme Duty timing chain
Racetronix Fuel LT1 HP Fuel Pump kit
50lb/hr injectors
along with a couple other goodies. This will all be mated to my ATI P1SC and I will be shooting for the 12-13psi range. I would like the motor to be able to handle 15 psi some what safely. I will buy a Alky kit as well. I have one on my Grand National and it seems to help.

Is there anything that I should look for or consider? I know I should probably get a D-dish piston (-31cc???) or something to that effect.

Will the 50lb injectors be enough? I am also going to order Edelbrock's new LT1 intake (7107). Any advice or words of wisdom? ... Of course I have the full exhaust setup and the McLeod Street Twin Clutch and I will be ordering a Moser rear with all this. Should I go with the 12bolt or a 9"? I also plan to give PCM for Less a call and do the ODBI conversion.
Did I leave anything out that would help with guidence?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:54 AM

Re: Finally doing it, need a little advice

50 lb injectors should be plenty for your application. As as compression goes, I would get some dished pistons and shoot for around 9.5:1. That's pretty boost friendly. I know the stroker I am looking into getting was 11.5:1 with flat top pistons, and 9.6:1 with dished pistons. I too will be running low comp as this will be a turbo motor. Of course, the compression you get will depend on the CC size on your head. I can't remember right off hand what CC head they used to get their compression numbers on the motor I was looking at.

You probably can't go wrong with a 12 bolt or a 9 inch. The 9 inch will handle a little more , but will also suck a little bit more power up. Personally I prefer to run an intercooler over alky injection, but to each there own. Running both would be even better. I would also spring for a windage tray for the motor if it doesn't already come with one.

Your combo should put around 600 to the wheels. Good luck and have fun with it when it gets done.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:45 PM

I have the twin high flow setup for the P-1SC kit so I am covered with intercoolers .... may try to upgrade those to the newer thicker ones though, Mine are about 6 years old.

I will check with the windage tray. Thanks. I plan to call VRE tomorrow and give them my CC number.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:45 PM

Good choice made on all parts. We will end up at 9.05:1 static compression, coated Diamond pistons, Dragonslayer crank, Compstar rods, billet caps and a bullet proof rear end.

Your gonna have a monster on your hands Chris. Thanks Again
Old 05-16-2006, 09:10 PM

Cool Re: Finally doing it, need a little advice

Originally Posted by Nick@Victory Racing
Good choice made on all parts. We will end up at 9.05:1 static compression, coated Diamond pistons, Dragonslayer crank, Compstar rods, billet caps and a bullet proof rear end.

Your gonna have a monster on your hands Chris. Thanks Again
Thanks Nick. It was good talking to you and I am excited. I feel like Christmas is coming early.

Btw, I will be out of town for most of June. I may want to have you delay shipment of the block a few days if it is ready before I get back. Please give me a call when you have a project ship date.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:19 PM

Sounds like a nice setup. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by ProchargedZ
Thanks Nick. It was good talking to you and I am excited. I feel like Christmas is coming early.

Btw, I will be out of town for most of June. I may want to have you delay shipment of the block a few days if it is ready before I get back. Please give me a call when you have a project ship date.
Roger that, I'll drop you a call tail end of this week.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 AM

That blower is way to small for that motor. Have fun with it, but those intercoolers and blower are gonna get maxxed out. Maybe step up to a D1 down the road.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:35 PM

I'm tracking, I have been thinking about upping the blower to a D-1SC. Thanks for the advice