Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Procharger on stock LT1, worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:04 PM

Procharger on stock LT1, worth it ?

Hi
I have a stock 94 TA 25th anniversary edition. I am looking to increase the HP without doing engine modifications since it is all original and limited production vehicle.
My thought was a ATI Procharger with 8 lbs of boost. Procharger claims it will fit into the engine compartment with no modifcations to the hood or engine components.
Questions are
1. Has anyone installed one on their LT-1
2. Is it worth it
3. HOw much HP increase is there
4. Did it fit without doing any body or engine modifications
Old 12-20-2004, 04:11 PM

Re: Procharger on stock LT1, worth it ?

LT1s don't respond well to boost in stock form, their compression ratio is high and the pistons were not designed for it. You will blow the motor, it will only be a matter of time. It may blow in a day and it may blow in a year. Your glambing with your motor when running boost on it in stock form.

If your concerned about value, cars are not a good investment. If your concerned about going fast, well thats expensive because speed cost money.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:39 PM

There is no way I would go with a ATI procharger, for the same money you could build a seperate 383/396 (Pick your poison) and stick your stock motor on a stand and make more HP. Read this guys saga and you will see why, I told him before he started to go with the 383 but he found out the hardway how to spend 10K for 333whp/381rwtq.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=963150
Old 12-20-2004, 04:49 PM

Sounds like the Vette guy needed someone to tune his car. I made 380hp and ran 12.3s w/ a completely stock LT1 w/ a puny-*** P600B back in 2000.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mongse_1
Sounds like the Vette guy needed someone to tune his car. I made 380hp and ran 12.3s w/ a completely stock LT1 w/ a puny-*** P600B back in 2000.
He used two tuners so I don't think it was the tune. BTW what MPH did you run because a simple LE2 cam and head package will be in the 380 RWHP 12.3 range. Unless you just wan't to say your car is procharged then there are better less expensive ways to make more HP/TQ
Old 12-20-2004, 05:33 PM

The numbers in the sig. Stock motor,heads, cam, with 1.6rr, as&m headers borla catback,24#svo's stock tuning except retarded the boost at 95-100kpa. Ran it like that for 4 years. It is just a matter of time before it lets go but you can do it and have fun with it to......John.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:56 PM

with a good tune you should be safe for a decent amount of time, but like any modified motor, its not a matter of if, but when you'll need a rebuild
Old 12-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

stock for you can run 4.5-6 psi ....

Anything over that is pushing it... can be done though... with the right goodies to keep things in check. No big deal....
Old 12-20-2004, 09:32 PM

our cars are 10.5:1 CR. Running boost on our engines is less than ideal. You're better off with some N20 if you just want it for occasional racing. I agree witht he guy above who said buy another used engine and build it up. Fort he price of that supercharger kit you can get a used LT-1 engine and build it up to make the same kind of power that the supercharger will give you and now you have two engines. If the new engine blows go back to stock - also works when you want to sell it etc.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:18 PM

A supercharged LT1 is just plain "cool", but if you are looking for a more robust alternative, I would look to heads/cam systems. The heads/cam systems probably won't be quite as "streetable" to drive as a S/C though.(talking about 400+ rwhp)

Dan
Old 12-20-2004, 11:34 PM

i installed a ati procharger, 8# of boost with a 3 core intercooler. i picked it up used for 2 grand. yes there are other alternatives that would be better, but i always wanted a blower. even with the puny p600b it makes real good power. i still have some work to do with it, like change plugs and get a dyno tune. last time i went i ran a 12.8 @ 110mph with a 1.99 60' would i do it again? in a heart beat. its definitely worth it, the potential is amazing. i can still do the heads and cam and build a motor to actualy handle the boost. then i can change pulleys and make even more power. plus the coolness factor is great, there just arent too many blown lt1's running around, and when people hear the whine of it and the blow off valve, they about crap their pants. and to address body/engine modifications, no real body modifications, but i did have to move my air pump and traction controll (which NOTHING was said about in the instructions) like what was said before, lt1's dont like boost at all because the compresions too high for it. if you go the blower route plan for a rebuild. i have about 7K on it and going strong, however, i think i have some new oil leaks towards the back of the engine. maybe im getting blowby now? if you dont want to rebuild the motor, then only run 4 pounds of boost, and if thats all your gonna run, then i dont think it would be worth spending 2+ grand for that little power. i say have some fun with the car and dont worry about if the car is stock or not. blow it up and build it better
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by ejfagala
He used two tuners so I don't think it was the tune. BTW what MPH did you run because a simple LE2 cam and head package will be in the 380 RWHP 12.3 range. Unless you just wan't to say your car is procharged then there are better less expensive ways to make more HP/TQ
The last pass it made @ a track it went 117. I actually had a couple Vericom runs in the 12.2x, 119mph range, but it never went that at a track.This was with a stock as a rock long block and converter. Sure there's much cheaper ways of making power (I've done them all now), but at the time, I wanted a blower car. Also, there was no Lloyd Elliott ported heads back then. Hell, there was barely a CZ28.com

Mine held up just fine for 3 years. It finally blew up because I turned the timing retard (ran an MSD 6BTM @ 1.5* of timing/# of boost) down to 0.5 to race a modified 600. Took his money, but the car took a dump.

The Vette's dyno #s just seem off. 370#/ft, but only 330hp. Did he go to any other dynos and get the same #? What did it run in the quarter (didn't read the entire CF thread)?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 AM

I put a P600B on a stock motor / heads / cam and with long tube headers it made 405 RWHP / 418 RWTQ and ran a best of 11.81 @ 116.5

It lasted about 16,000 miles, 75 or so runs at the track and probably 20ish dyno pulls.

Be careful.....Boost is addictive

Started at 7 and up to 19
Old 12-22-2004, 04:02 PM

I installed P1SC on my 95. Not all that hard to do.Worth it,hell yes.Went from 13.25@105 w/1.85 60 ft to 12.02@115 w/2.3 60 ft , got traction problems again should probally be high to mid 11s when I get that worked out.It took alot of thinking to choose between stroker,nitrous,or boost but a wiser man said go with boost you'll love it and when you blow it up you will still have it.I can smoke my 315 Nittos anywhere under 40mph the whistle makes those who know not challange and Cobras,LS1's and Vettes are not a problem.Find somebody with one and beg them for a ride it will help you make up your mind if its worth it. I love mine.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by purple95formula
I installed P1SC on my 95. Not all that hard to do.Worth it,hell yes.Went from 13.25@105 w/1.85 60 ft to 12.02@115 w/2.3 60 ft , got traction problems again should probally be high to mid 11s when I get that worked out.It took alot of thinking to choose between stroker,nitrous,or boost but a wiser man said go with boost you'll love it and when you blow it up you will still have it.I can smoke my 315 Nittos anywhere under 40mph the whistle makes those who know not challange and Cobras,LS1's and Vettes are not a problem.Find somebody with one and beg them for a ride it will help you make up your mind if its worth it. I love mine.
what are you running for boost? i wanna get the ati kit with the intercooler and run 8lbs soon, i have always been told it was more tuning issues when lt1 cars blow up.

Quick Reply: Procharger on stock LT1, worth it ?