Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Question on the sheet metal intakes for the FI cars...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by FireChicken1995
someone said something about 2k for a single plane conversion... $1200 should be the norm on average.
My $2k estimation was including a new fuel system with something like an A1000 and braided lines, bigger rails, etc. No sense in using the stock stuff at that point.

I still have the stock lines and rails (with twin Walbros in the tank), and have yet to max them out.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
My $2k estimation was including a new fuel system with something like an A1000 and braided lines, bigger rails, etc. No sense in using the stock stuff at that point.

I still have the stock lines and rails (with twin Walbros in the tank), and have yet to max them out.
ok that makes more sense.. with that said i spent more than 2k
Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM

im running a stock LT4 intake and ported LT4 heads and i should be seeing roughly 600HP at the wheels on 15 lbs of boost. I tossed the idea around of going with a single plane when I do my 383 but i'm just gonna port the LT4 intake to use with a set of heavily ported AFR 220's. I don't think it's really necessary to go with a single plane for what i'm trying to do.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 PM

in all honesty the main reason i did it was b/c 1 i was able to at the time and 2 it adds to the bling bling factor and everyone that has seen my motor love it. i have not had one person yet tell me that it doesnt look clean and sick. im my opinion my intake looks way better than a LT1 intake with one exception that a setup i have seen but no longer have pics. it was a all black and polished/chrome engine bad that just look beautiful. if you can do it and dont mind spending the money you WILL pick up a lil power on a FI setup but maby like 20-30HP (thats what iv been told). seriously if anyone in the texas area wants to do this i have full faith in my ability to do the conversion in my garage (well my ole mans garage that has every tool known to man) and i would love to help someone do it.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM

I am by no means an expert in this area, as I have not tried it (as of now), but for you Ben, and your power level, it would likely be a waste of money. I'm a firm believer that on forced induction applications the factory intakes are not bad at all. Hell, look at my car. I'm running a STOCK LT4 intake, NOT PORTED, with a STOCK 48mm throttle body.

Don't get me wrong, single plane and sheetmetal intakes have their place (expecially in N/A apps), but with single plane conversions running close to 2k, and just a sheetmetal intake alone being $3K++, it's just not worth the money.

Just my $.02.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in Josh. I am more curious of all the facts on this stuff than actually interested in actually doing it, especially since my car has much more potential elsewhere to make more power (AFR 180 heads, cough cough, 1 3/4 headers, stock hand ported LT1 intake cough cough ). If I do want to step things up drastically for the price, I'd probably sell my D1SC and just call you up for a good price on an F1A

I got lots of other things I need to spend my money on right now, but who knows, if I get tired of the setup on the Z several years down the road, I've got some options, but honestly I really like the way it semi-hooks up for the power level I have, and I don't really want to toss that away by adding a bit more power, so it'll probably be left right were it is.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 PM

well at least with this thread you learned a few things and it gives a some more people info when they search for this stuff on here.

yea go F1A just force more air through the intake and heads

when everyone explains boost using the blowing in a "straw" vs "big pipe" example i just think that i could just use a air compressor instead of blowing.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Another thing about the sheetmetal intakes being overrated for boost:

The fastest Centrifigal Supercharged car in the country is Mark Micke (at the bottom of the page in this link: http://www.procharger.com/racing-news/home.shtml). The car has been as fast as 6.25 @ 233 mph. Guess what? It still has an Edelbrock CAST intake on it. Edelbrock says it's the fastest car that they have ever had an intake on.

Granted that car is a long ways away from what all of us have, but if he can go that fast, they must not be all bad.

Even our own Ric Fleck (posts as 'Tubby' on here) has a cast manifold on his ProCharged Pro Mod Camaro that has been 6.40's.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM

any people say that the LT1/4 intakes suck...
Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 PM

Re: Question on the sheet metal intakes for the FI cars...

Okay, time to ressurect this old thread.

It has been a few years now, and this is where I am at;

Basically I am running the same setup. However I did change my Hooker LT's 1 3/4 headers for a better suited set of Kooks 1 7/8. The car picked up a little torque from the header swap, but I am still not entirely happy.

I actually like my power level, but I really hate the fact that up top north of 5,000 RPM's my large cam, and blower are being choked by my small AFR 180 heads and LT1 intake. I don't want to go all out and change the heads, as I don't want that kind of a power gain. But the thought of just 40 ish more HP would be great (I like my current traction abilities). More than anything, I just don't want the car to be choked that much on top, and if at the same time I could make less stress on things with a couple less pounds of boost, that would be an added bonus.

Does this sound like what a single plane conversion would do for me?

Another question I have is fittment. I have a SS hood by suncoast creations. How would I go about making this fit?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Okay, time to ressurect this old thread.

It has been a few years now, and this is where I am at;

Basically I am running the same setup. However I did change my Hooker LT's 1 3/4 headers for a better suited set of Kooks 1 7/8. The car picked up a little torque from the header swap, but I am still not entirely happy.

I actually like my power level, but I really hate the fact that up top north of 5,000 RPM's my large cam, and blower are being choked by my small AFR 180 heads and LT1 intake. I don't want to go all out and change the heads, as I don't want that kind of a power gain. But the thought of just 40 ish more HP would be great (I like my current traction abilities). More than anything, I just don't want the car to be choked that much on top, and if at the same time I could make less stress on things with a couple less pounds of boost, that would be an added bonus.

Does this sound like what a single plane conversion would do for me?

Another question I have is fittment. I have a SS hood by suncoast creations. How would I go about making this fit?
I'd hate to say it Ben, but just my opinion the stock intake is a lot better than what people give it credit for. I don't think you'll pick up much of anything by converting to a single plane, especially if that's the only change you're going to make. I would have to say your intake flows better than those heads. Just my opinion, I don't have any hard data to back it up.

A setup like this should fit under your SS hood, I really think it will fit under my stock Z hood:

Name:  IMAG0115.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  68.0 KB

I still need to order my solid motor mounts, then I will be dropping the motor in for mock-up too see if it will clear the hood. It's an Edelbrock Victor E manifold with a elbow from Aaron at Intakeelbows.com, which is now 6160.com.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Well thats the thing for me. I am not really looking to gain the kind of power that new heads would provide, but more just looking to ease things up top a little bit so the blower and big cam aren't being choked up top in the RPM band. I was thinking that doing just the single plane intake would help alleviate this and gain just small power amounts.

Are you thinking though that because of my smaller ported AFR 180 heads that swapping to the single plane intake won't help the breathing up top the way I am looking for?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Are you thinking though that because of my smaller ported AFR 180 heads that swapping to the single plane intake won't help the breathing up top the way I am looking for?
Nope. I think your heads are the restriction. Changing the intake will do little if nothing to help you. The flow is only as good as the restriction, and in this case I think yours is the heads.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Nope. I think your heads are the restriction. Changing the intake will do little if nothing to help you. The flow is only as good as the restriction, and in this case I think yours is the heads.
That was my thought when I read this... AFR180's probably don't flow as well as nice ported castings. Not sure if you will gain much with the swap.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM

I guess it makes sense that no matter what, there is only so much air the valves in the heads are going to let through. I was hoping that the factory LT1 intake would also be somewhat of a restriction, and after seeing other similar boosted applications gain what they did in the exact portion of the powerband that my car falls on its face, I was hoping that just by changing the intake that it would alleviate some of the breathing.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 AM

...still, I can't getover roguedrivers results in this thread; https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...t+metal+intake

Granted he had a YSi trim (a bit more CFM than my maxed out D1SC), but he was running smaller ported LT1 heads with 2.00/1.56 valves, 218/224 115lsa Comp cam, whereas I have AFR 180 heads, CNC’d by TPIS (260 @ 550 lift), and a monster 244/254 .050 570/570 114 LSA cam.

I am not sure what the difference would be in the end, but up top he gained right where I would like my gain.

Quick Reply: Question on the sheet metal intakes for the FI cars...