Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Took the Turbo LT1 out for another 'evaluation' drive :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Took the Turbo LT1 out for another 'evaluation' drive :)

Before I had to change contracts, the plan was to continue to Telecommute during the week, then race the car at New Lebanon Drag strip (Upstate NY) on weekends so I put in a race prepped TH350 w/2800 stall vigilante Torque converter thru a Ford 8.8 3.55 geared differential. Now, I have to physically be in Rochester, NY all during the week and commute there on Sunday night, returning home (near Albany) on Friday evenings. That's a 250 mile flight each way. Kinda tough on the LT1 spinning 3,200 rpm to only go about 55 mph. That's nearly 5 hours each way. Driving my wife's soccer mom van at 73ish most of the way, I get there in about 3.5 hours. So, after all the parts, labor, promise of the six speed to TH350, I'm going back to the 6 speed for the mileage aspect alone. Still... I wanted to take the TH350 version off for another 'fun' drive today. Last week, I tried a dead stop, dead idle, stomp the gas 'leave'. When I ran NA with a CC 224/236 cam, this meant 1.6 sixty foots all day long. With this turbo setup and low compression, it just kinda went, 'Zzz, Zzz.. whaa? oh, we're leaving now? <Yawn> okay <mumbling noises..><stumbles awake with sleep encrusted eyes>.. stretches.. ' then when the motor got to about 3K and boost started hitting, it got fun.

All during the past week, I wondered, "What if I foot braked it and got some boost going?". So I just tried that. Damn... I need slicks bad for this setup. The Nitto DR's won't hold in first or second. In first, it just spun till I let off or hit the rev limiter. When I shifted to second, more spinning. I hit the 'Max boost attained' button on my boost controller and I'd only gone to 12.3 at that setting. It certainly is a lot of fun to drive with this TH350.

I've got the new Clutchnet solid hub 6 button disc on the way here to mate up to my balanced SPEC stage 4 PP and SPEC billet flywheel. I don't know if I want to get slicks and race it one time before swapping on the transmissions or swap them now and swap them again in the fall to go racing.

I have seen several cocky Suby WRX and the odd EVO up on the way to/from Rochester that I'd dearly love to annihilate with the 6 speed iteration
With their loud mufflers and stickers on their cars, they'd make a boring drive a bit more fun.

I forgot to mention, when I was in Houston a year ago, a beefed up (to what degree, I'm not sure) Nissan Skyline tried to race me from 2nd gear on up two times. In both runs, I spun a bit at first but, feathering the throttle to keep traction, I pulled past him. He couldn't believe I was pulling him. When we stopped he wanted to know what I had in the engine compartment. The look on his face was priceless.

Thanks Realquick for the hotside setup. It's been working well!

Last edited by DirtyDaveW; 06-13-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
Before I had to change contracts, the plan was to continue to Telecommute during the week, then race the car at New Lebanon Drag strip (Upstate NY) on weekends so I put in a race prepped TH350 w/2800 stall vigilante Torque converter thru a Ford 8.8 3.55 geared differential. Now, I have to physically be in Rochester, NY all during the week and commute there on Sunday night, returning home (near Albany) on Friday evenings. That's a 250 mile flight each way. Kinda tough on the LT1 spinning 3,200 rpm to only go about 55 mph. That's nearly 5 hours each way. Driving my wife's soccer mom van at 73ish most of the way, I get there in about 3.5 hours. So, after all the parts, labor, promise of the six speed to TH350, I'm going back to the 6 speed for the mileage aspect alone. Still... I wanted to take the TH350 version off for another 'fun' drive today. Last week, I tried a dead stop, dead idle, stomp the gas 'leave'. When I ran NA with a CC 224/236 cam, this meant 1.6 sixty foots all day long. With this turbo setup and low compression, it just kinda went, 'Zzz, Zzz.. whaa? oh, we're leaving now? <Yawn> okay <mumbling noises..><stumbles awake with sleep encrusted eyes>.. stretches.. ' then when the motor got to about 3K and boost started hitting, it got fun.

All during the past week, I wondered, "What if I foot braked it and got some boost going?". So I just tried that. Damn... I need slicks bad for this setup. The Nitto DR's won't hold in first or second. In first, it just spun till I let off or hit the rev limiter. When I shifted to second, more spinning. I hit the 'Max boost attained' button on my boost controller and I'd only gone to 12.3 at that setting. It certainly is a lot of fun to drive with this TH350.

I've got the new Clutchnet solid hub 6 button disc on the way here to mate up to my balanced SPEC stage 4 PP and SPEC billet flywheel. I don't know if I want to get slicks and race it one time before swapping on the transmissions or swap them now and swap them again in the fall to go racing.

I have seen several cocky Suby WRX and the odd EVO up on the way to/from Rochester that I'd dearly love to annihilate with the 6 speed iteration
With their loud mufflers and stickers on their cars, they'd make a boring drive a bit more fun.

I forgot to mention, when I was in Houston a year ago, a beefed up (to what degree, I'm not sure) Nissan Skyline tried to race me from 2nd gear on up two times. In both runs, I spun a bit at first but, feathering the throttle to keep traction, I pulled past him. He couldn't believe I was pulling him. When we stopped he wanted to know what I had in the engine compartment. The look on his face was priceless.

Thanks Realquick for the hotside setup. It's been working well!
Dave, i would love to see what you can do with more boost and the auto at the track. I'd like to see if you can get in the 9's before you swap back.

Also, if you decide you want to upgrade the kit, I'll take care of ya
Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm heading home again either tomorrow or Friday from the work site and I'm going to see what kind of boost (if any) it builds off of foot braking. I've been reading some threads elsewhere that some guys haven't been able to do squat on leaving the line w/o nitrous, transbrakes and two steps. I know one guy that has a twin 76 setup pushing 1,000 to 1,300hp on the dyno. He said his car is laaaazy off the line just foot braking it(TH400 tranny with a 3.00 ish rear gear) and the best he's been able to do is a 2.00 sixty foot (high 130 mph though). I'm going to do a few odds and end things too. My car has had a weak idle ever since I put these heads on. I wish I'd had them CC'd while it was down. I wonder what CR I'm realizing with them? I know with the stock ported LT1 castings, my machinist calc'd my CR to be 8.5 or 8.8 to 1.

On another note, I'm seeing people talking about 80lb high impedence fuel injectors. That's great for power at WOT but am I also correct in saying that quite a few people are reporting that they are having trouble getting the 80's to fuel well enough at idle?
If they are a good option, I think I might order a set and see if I can get in the 800hp range.

Last edited by DirtyDaveW; 06-16-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 PM

hey dave, maybe you can try the quick spool valve set up for the lag, I might try this at some point.. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...ke-graphs.html
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks I'd read this some time ago and it is so tempting. I have to admit, my play time is mostly on the street so I can't justify buying a new housing to get the twin scroll but it certainly looks appealing, no?

I really enjoy the automatic with the boost. Being able to stay in virtually any PSI I want as I go thru each gear (no drop for shifting) sure puts a smile on my face. As you know up here in upstate NY, there's tons of cocky Suby WRX owners. I want to humble them as much as possible. Even the Turbo Neons and the boosted Cobalts think they can swat the lowly LT1 Z28.

Originally Posted by crazycat
hey dave, maybe you can try the quick spool valve set up for the lag, I might try this at some point.. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...ke-graphs.html
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 PM

I've got a few weeks till mine is on the road, but in the mean time I'm in Schenectady, so if you want to shoot a video and need someone to hold the camera or follow in a second car, I'll volunteer!

And once my Z is running, I bet Jon would love to see his work running
Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 AM

Sounds like a plan! I'll be in contact once mine's all finished. Same goes for you too. I'll video your car as well.

I'll PM you my cell number.
Thanks,
Dave

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
I've got a few weeks till mine is on the road, but in the mean time I'm in Schenectady, so if you want to shoot a video and need someone to hold the camera or follow in a second car, I'll volunteer!

And once my Z is running, I bet Jon would love to see his work running
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Dave.
Glad to hear the car is running well! I didn't realize you were in Rochester now for contract work. Hit me up with a PM sometime and we'll grab some dinner some night.

Jason
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 AM

Sure thing Jason ! I'm getting hammered at work due to a software delivery deadline right now but when I can see some daylight, I'll be in touch.

Originally Posted by Jason Short
Dave.
Glad to hear the car is running well! I didn't realize you were in Rochester now for contract work. Hit me up with a PM sometime and we'll grab some dinner some night.

Jason
Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Sounds good man!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Have you dyno'd it or turned it at all since you got the canfields on the car?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Not yet. I'm still hunting for a few gremlins, hopefully taken care of when I swapped the comp lifters out and installed some new LS7 lifters. I'll start it up on Sat and find out
Originally Posted by 94irocz
Have you dyno'd it or turned it at all since you got the canfields on the car?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:53 PM

Well, got everything finished and took her out, warmed her up, then got up into just shy of 13 psi a few times. Sure feels good, but I wanted to see how much boost (if any) I could build by foot braking it.
I found a lonely stretch of highway, stopped, footbraked it and then stepped on the gas to while watching the boost gauge. Ugh... it flickered between .0 and .1 and that's it. I let go of the brake and floored it. It spun the tires a bit, the about a second later, the good boost got going and it pulls hard. I think my wifes soccer mom van could pull a better 60 foot than my current setup. Lol...

I was hoping to go to New Lebanon drags tomorrow but I hear it's supposed to rain. I wanted to get a couple of passes before I swap back to the 6 speed (next weekend in all likelyhood)

Hope you guys are having a great weekend!
Dave
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 AM

On Friday(June 25th, 2010), I had a few spare minutes to go out and see how the engine was running with the new lifters. I started it. Perfect idle. I pulled out onto the highway, then drove about 10 miles to let 'er warm up. Then, checking for traffic/troopers on a lonely straight stretch, I somewhat slowly pressed the gas to let the boost get into the 3 to 5 psi range. I watched the pillar mounted boost gauge as the negative pressure diminished and got up to the 3 psi. At that point the power dropped precipitously, the motor coughed and so I let off. I thought, "WTH was that?". I repeated the process but this time watching the Wideband. Aha... it's going dead lean once it's into boost. "What could cause that?" thought I... Hmm.. "it's a MAF based tune. I wonder if the MAF is hooked up"? So I pulled back into my spacious 4 car garage...(okay, it's a 2 car gravel driveway) and lifted the hood. "Hmm..MAF is hooked up. What could it..." then I noticed that one of the 3 wires going to the MAF connector looked odd. Upon closer inspection, I found it had broken. No doubt from the hundreds of times I've taken it on and off. I snipped the dead ends of the connector and harness side, stripped the insulation back, slid on a shrink wrap, soldered it up, put the shrink wrap in place and used my Harbor Freight heat gun to shrink it. Took it for a test drive. MUCH better. It runs a tad rich under boost now at 10.x but lean (16. to 17) during idle and cruise. I'm going to have to log what's going on under those condtions and tweak the tune a little.

The weather looks a little better than the forecast indicated last night. I hope I can get to the track for a pass or two today.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
On Friday(June 25th, 2010), I had a few spare minutes to go out and see how the engine was running with the new lifters. I started it. Perfect idle. I pulled out onto the highway, then drove about 10 miles to let 'er warm up. Then, checking for traffic/troopers on a lonely straight stretch, I somewhat slowly pressed the gas to let the boost get into the 3 to 5 psi range. I watched the pillar mounted boost gauge as the negative pressure diminished and got up to the 3 psi. At that point the power dropped precipitously, the motor coughed and so I let off. I thought, "WTH was that?". I repeated the process but this time watching the Wideband. Aha... it's going dead lean once it's into boost. "What could cause that?" thought I... Hmm.. "it's a MAF based tune. I wonder if the MAF is hooked up"? So I pulled back into my spacious 4 car garage...(okay, it's a 2 car gravel driveway) and lifted the hood. "Hmm..MAF is hooked up. What could it..." then I noticed that one of the 3 wires going to the MAF connector looked odd. Upon closer inspection, I found it had broken. No doubt from the hundreds of times I've taken it on and off. I snipped the dead ends of the connector and harness side, stripped the insulation back, slid on a shrink wrap, soldered it up, put the shrink wrap in place and used my Harbor Freight heat gun to shrink it. Took it for a test drive. MUCH better. It runs a tad rich under boost now at 10.x but lean (16. to 17) during idle and cruise. I'm going to have to log what's going on under those condtions and tweak the tune a little.

The weather looks a little better than the forecast indicated last night. I hope I can get to the track for a pass or two today.
Goodluck Dave!

Quick Reply: Took the Turbo LT1 out for another 'evaluation' drive :)