Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Twin Turbo LT1 kit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008 | 10:18 AM

Question Twin Turbo LT1 kit question

Does anyone out there build a system similar to what APS offers, but for the LTx F-bodies?

http://www.airpowersystems.com/fbody/tt.htm

Some pics of the kit for those not familiar with it;

I'm looking to build something with ~700 RWHP. Maybe turbo or supercharged... preferably turbo if I can clean up the engine bay a bit. Still haven't made my mind up on this though.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 11-09-2008 | 11:59 AM

Have you spoke to Jon at www.lt1boost.net? His systems are different than the ones you have pictured, but he builds several "kits" and gets very nice reviews from his customers.
Old 11-09-2008 | 12:25 PM

if your looking for ~700 rwhp im sure you could do that with a built engine and a single turbo kit with a big turbo... im in the proccess of puttign a turbo kit on my lt1 camaro and im only runnin a lil 60 trim on it and im looking for about 400-450. So im sure a bigger turbo and a built engine and a good tune will get you where you want. and like boosted z28 said, lt1boost.net is a great place to go. im not actualyl buying one of his kits but have been talking with him as far as power goes with the ones he does have. just gotta kno your budget i guess sicne you know where you wanna be hp wise... you plan on keeping a/c? AIR? EGR? all that would kinda play in to your build also.
Old 11-09-2008 | 04:16 PM

What I like about the APS kit is the fact that it's a very clean looking install. Open the hood and there isn't a whole lot of duct-work staring you in the face. Not only that but I'd like to retain my PS and AC (gets hotter than hell here in Texas), which the APS kit also does.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of where I'm going with this. I may very well just go with an SC. Big plus there, since I can use my headers... and I think my goals are well within reason for an intercooled setup.

Thanks to the link Boosted, I'll dig a little deeper into it after this post.
Old 11-09-2008 | 09:48 PM

well also this kit is a LS Twin turbo kit... not an lt kit. that site he has a twin turbo kit he made and i believe hes in the process, or going to be soon of making a twin lt set-up that keeps ac. i understand the ac thing, im not as worried about it, but i do live in florida... lol. so it does get hot, but mines not my dd, i have a 94 subaru impreza that is fully loaded and my camaro is my toy, so im not worried bout a/c but some people are, and as for not wanting to see alot of duct work i can understand too. it all depends on your budget like i said earlier. im using manifolds on my kit and they can run up to 600 so a header kit should be able to hold more obviously... and a bigger turbo as i said also you could be well near the mark you want to be near. Regardless, good luck, and feel free to pm me any questions and be sure to keep us updated with what choices you make.
Old 11-10-2008 | 08:02 AM

If you want, shoot me an email and we can talk about a layout that might interest you.

jon@lt1boost.net
Old 11-12-2008 | 06:58 PM

>see the current edition of GM High Tech Performance didn't http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com do a twin turbo LT1?
I need to get home and read this
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:13 PM

That car has an ls1 in it and I believe speed inc built the turbo kit if I remember right?
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:30 AM

id love a kit like this also that would be from downpipe-headers filter-t/b complete tt with at least an upgrade available for twin 67's so we could make 1100rw....

i loved intimd8r car which made 890 and ran like it made every bit of it...but it was all custom...
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:41 AM

I can do it... and it would support T60 thru T76's.
Old 11-14-2008 | 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I can do it... and it would support T60 thru T76's.
Are all accessories retained (A/C, Power Steering, etc)? Also, what modifications need to be made? Such as standing the radiator up? It doesn't indicate on the website.
Old 11-14-2008 | 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Are all accessories retained (A/C, Power Steering, etc)? Also, what modifications need to be made? Such as standing the radiator up? It doesn't indicate on the website.
Two ways to do it:

1. Alt relocation kit to the pass side - This will allow you to keep all the accessories and run 2 DP'd to the back of the car.

2. Keep all accessories in stock location and merge both DP's into 1 before it goes over the K-member.

The radiator can stay stock and leaning... just need slimmer fans. You will want an oil scavenge pump as well.
Old 11-14-2008 | 03:45 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've got a number of options at my disposal right now. Build an LSx (swap LSx in place of LT1) and use the APS kit. I have an LQ9 block that's begging to have something done to it.

Go with an LT1 TT build or just utilize a simpler/cleaner s-charge kit. I think my performance goals are well attainable and streetable either way.

So I have some thinking to do but I'll keep everyone updated on the project.

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2008 | 08:59 PM

If you are considering an S trim, then why not go with a clean single turbo setup?
Old 11-15-2008 | 01:46 PM

hell, go LTx with a T76 and be done with it. Or go with an s400 and be done with it as well.

Or go big, go with a gt88 and have room for 1000rwhp

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo LT1 kit question