Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel pump died, replaced it with a new one, now engine won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Fuel pump died, replaced it with a new one, now engine won't stay running

As the title says, my fuel pump died, so I replaced it with a new one. The engine will start but won't stay running for more than a couple seconds. My father in law thinks that it could be a problem with air in the fuel lines since I swapped in the new pump... but I have some pressure at the Schroeder valve on the fuel rail.

When i turn the key, I get the BZZZT of the fuel pump priming... so I'm not sure what else I could do. Is my new pump bad? Did my regulator go bad?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Re: Fuel pump died, replaced it with a new one, now engine won't stay running

You need to put a fuel pressure test gauge on it. “some pressure” may not be the right pressure. How did you determine the old pump failed?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 AM

Figured it out, I think:

When I lifted up the spare tire, i noticed that the fuel line had gotten kinked, which I believe had starved the pump and prevented the rail from reaching full pressure. I also believe that this is why my other pump started squealing the way it did. After priming the pump a few times, the engine turned on and idled as it should.

The new pump is still making some noise - it's one of those Walbro 255 external style pumps, which supposedly are notoriously loud... although this seems especially loud.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Are you sure the Walbro is genuine? There are many Chinese rip-offs on the market.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:49 PM

The old pump was a Walbro, i got it off JEGS a number of years ago. The new one is most definitely a chinese knock off, which is probably why it's so loud. It's an odd whine - instead of a continuous WHEEEEE like the old pump developed, this one "undulates" - WEEEEoooooWEEEEoooooWEEEooo... very obnoxious... but it was only 13 bucks off ebay, so...
Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Administrator

You really need to check the fuel pressure, to insure it can supply your engine's need at max power/WOT. You don’t want it to lean out and cause detonation, beyond the knock retard system's ability to eliminate it.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Wow, yeah - so just to cap off this thread - tested the fuel pressure, and it came up at like 10~, obviously not good. It was JUST enough to keep the engine running at idle, anything else and it would start to struggle and die.

I checked around to see what the issue could be - tested the fuel pressure regulator, which appeared fine. Then checked the hoses, which also were fine. Finally I checked the XJ6 "changeover" valve, which is a small electrically operated valve to switch between the two gas tanks. Sure enough, inside the valve, there was some varnish/bits of crap clogging the valve, which was causing the obstructed fuel flow.

I decided to just pull the change over valve and run from the left tank, which is the only one i run from anyways.

Car is back up and running, although the knock off Walbro is still louder than i wish it was... although way quieter than what it was doing previously. Still need to check the fuel pressure now that the obstruction is gone. Once I do, I will post.