Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Racetronix Fuel Pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:51 AM

I just received my racetronix fuel pump kit from thunder racing and I got the walbro fuel pump with the center inlet. This has to be incorrect. I called and spoke with Gene and he says they have not had an issue with this. This has to be BS. How do I get the correct fuel pump with the proper offset? I can't even drive my fricken car.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 AM

I just received my kit and the pump has the center inlet as well???? Maybe with all of us calling and addressing this, they'll realize the snafu.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I just received my kit and the pump has the center inlet as well???? Maybe with all of us calling and addressing this, they'll realize the snafu.
Dream on. I called them back in 01 or whenever it was that I first did mine. They've had 8 years to figure it out. Go look at the APE web site under LT1 fuel pumps - there is some pictures of them there all lined up.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Wow, so the direct fit Walbro pump came out back in '04? I'm buying A.P.E.'s LT1 kit and sending the Thunder kit back.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM

Sure enough, A.P.E. sent a Walbro with the off-center inlet. wtf Racetronix?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 PM

I will be interested to see what one i get, since mine will be arriving today.....
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM

So i put my racetronix pump in the other and had no problems with the install. Overall i am pleased with the kit!!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Just to clarify what is going on here...

There has not been any change at our end with regards to the FLT1 pump assembly which thousands of other customers have bought and used successfully over the past 7 years. Please do not let misinformation from forum members or other vendors cloud the issue here.

We recently had a small production run of pumps which are having issues with seating in the bucket. We believe this has something to do with the o-rings and possibly the age of some plastic sender buckets which may have shrunk slightly with age due to immersion in fuel. So far we have only had TWO customers send their buckets in so we do not have a wide field of data to draw from yet.

If you have an issue with your pump seating properly, do not force it in place. Please contact support@racetronix.com with as much info as possible listed in our support link: http://www.racetronix.com/support.html

All pumps being shipped from Racetronix for the past few weeks are being double-checked for tolerance before they ship and we have NOT had any reoccurrences of this problem since.

New production pumps will be changed to allow for a wider variation in the bucket's inlet ID so that a good seal can be guaranteed with both new and old units.

Please be patient with us as we try to isolate and deal with this problem. Everybody will be taken care of and I am sure this will not be a problem again.

Our pumps have always sat on a SLIGHT angle in the bucket but the o-ring provides a perfect seal which prevents unfiltered fuel from shortening the life of your pump. We have done this for years with 100% success.
The F20000169 pump with the offset inlet forces one to use the old factory rubber seal which in most cases DOES NOT seal anymore because it is dry and shrunken.

We have had a number of customers e-mail us about having melted in-tank wiring at the pump or bulkhead connector. Due to the age of these cars it was only a matter of time this would start to happen. B-body and G-Body owners have been dealing with this issue on an increasing basis for a number of years now. To address this age-related issue we will be releasing a new bulkhead connector assembly just like our B and G-body units. This in combination with our new 14 gauge in-tank harnesses (supplied with all FLT1 pump assemblies) will replace ALL the potentially problematic factory wiring.

Thank you,

Jack
Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 PM

I wish I had read this email before the I tried to install the pump into the bucket. I have cracked the inlet to the bucket. How will this effect the operation of the pump? I can still feel the pump seat into the inlet when I place it into the bucket. It still has somewhat of a snug feel. I emailed Racetronix so I am waiting on a reply from them. This is my only car. Please chime in.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM

only way to get a fast response. i had to send my bucket in....this was 2 weeks ago and still waiting for it back...i was promised by friday and it is sunday now...

Last edited by TedH; 06-08-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ta4life
call them, i finally got there number. only way to get a fast response. i had to send my bucket in....this was 2 weeks ago and still waiting for it back...i was promised by friday and it is sunday now...
Were they going to fix the bucket? When you cracked your bucket, did your pump still fit snug? What happens if the inlet is cracked?

Last edited by TedH; 06-08-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:53 PM

it will suck unfiltered gas...so defeats purpose of a filter at all. and yes it fit snug
Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 PM

it will suck unfiltered gas...so defeats purpose of a filter at all. and yes it fit snug
I am trying to understand how? Since the bucket is sealed where would it get the unfiltered gas from?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:06 PM

the pump sucks from a HIGH pressure. the returned gas goes into the bucket and would suck it
Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 PM

the pump sucks from a HIGH pressure. the returned gas goes into the bucket and would suck it
Oh, I see. Are they going to replace your bucket?

Quick Reply: Racetronix Fuel Pump issues