General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

ABS, Brake and AIR BAG codes scanned. 23 faults!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:17 AM

ABS, Brake and AIR BAG codes scanned. 23 faults!

What a day.
Recently, I found out that 2 years after buying my car that the previous owner had pulled the bulbs to hide the warning lights. Ouch.

ABS INOP has been on steady.

Brake warning lamp "(?)(!)" comes on intermittently -the colder the weather the more chance it will come on after the car moves a little.

And the "AIR BAG" lamp comes on. I pulled the fuse because I heard it would disable the bag completely, and I'm OK with that, because now the kids can ride up front, and I no longer feel as worried that the bag might blow for no reason. Strangley enough, when I pull the fuse the lamp (mostly) stays off. I've seen it "flicker" on for about 4 seconds, one time. I could have sworn with the fuse pulled the lamp was supposed to illuminate.

So I went in to one of my favorite local service stations, ready to pay the $50 to have the ABS, brake and BAG codes pulled.

The guy comes back kind of nervous and says I have 21 ABS code stored and 2 BAG codes.

(For those keeping score at home, they were 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 26, 32, 33, 36, 37, 38, 41, 42, 57, 58, 62, 65, 86, and 87 -lots of different shorted to ground and shorted to positive type faults)

Gah.

He also says that with that many codes it's most likely not any of the codes at all, but rather an EBCM fault. They reset all codes, drove the car and scanned again.
In that short time codes 17 (ABS enable relay coil circuit shorted to ground), and 58 (Left front ABS motor circuit shorted to battery) returned.

He said there was little more they could do, and said I needed to head for a local dealership for troubleshooting. I thought before I did I would double check to see what else I could on my own to narrow the trouble down.

I've checked ground connections and wheel speed sensor connections, and all appear fine. Is it worth it to look at the connections on the ECBM itself, or would they be a non factor? Anything else should I look for?

Air Bag codes were 61 (Redundant SIR Indicator circuit?) and 62 (SIR Indicator circuit failure). I can read what these say, but have no idea what they may mean. Anyone know where to begin looking at this one?

On the bright side, the service station in question (a local one called Heartland Tire - in SE MN) said since they could not fix the problem, or even begin to troubleshoot it that they wouldn't feel good about charging me any fee. Outstanding! Not too many shops now-a-days that will spend 40+ minutes scanning, driving and rescanning a car and NOT charge you!
How's that for brutally fair? Incredible!

Any help, ideas, tips are welcome.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:19 PM

Re: ABS, Brake and AIR BAG codes scanned. 23 faults!

No one knows anything about the DERM or EBCM modules?