General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

AC Problem *NEED HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:46 PM

AC Problem *NEED HELP*

OK, so my ac is blowing hot air. there are no funny noises and no funny smells. I took it to a local place and they said that my pcm or something wasnt working. (???) Something about a bad electrical connection or something. anywho, a couple months before it went bad it was blowing COOL air and white-ish steam stuff. the steam was not condensation however and would occasionally go away and come back in like 10 minute intervals. Now after reading THIS post : http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...r+conditioning

now i pulled the pcm fuse but my radio stations are still there so im thinking that didnt do anything. AC still blows hot. you never really appreciate something until its gone.....
Old 07-14-2004, 01:08 PM

Old 07-14-2004, 01:54 PM

I'm no a/c expert, but pulling the PCM fuse has nothing to do with the radio.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:58 PM

so it DID reset the computer? i thought maybe resetting the PCM would result in losing the radio stations like when you disconnect the battery. guess not so the ac still blows hot......crap
Old 07-15-2004, 03:24 PM

well with freescan i cleared the codes (only one 02 code) thinking that would work but it didnt. still blowing hot. now what do i do?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:43 AM

ttt

Old 07-16-2004, 04:25 PM

Try jumping AC clutch relay to make sure it's working. Computer needs a signal from AC controls, correct voltages from R134 pressure sensor and evaporator temperature sensor. If all is ok, it will operate clutch relay. Do a search, there were like tutorials from HBHRacing there (helped me a lot )
Old 07-18-2004, 08:03 PM

Re: AC Problem *NEED HELP*

IF YOUR CAR IS BLOWING HOT AIR check to see if your compressor is turning on, if not then that is a clear sign that there is not enough r-134 in your system to turn on the compressor. i just went through it with mine, noting a recharge wont fix until the dye they install finds the hole
Old 07-18-2004, 08:24 PM

Yes. turn the AC on and see if the center part of teh compressor is spinning or not.. thats step one.

if it's not you could have a slew of issues to sort through. yes it is possible for the PCM to cause the compressor not to come on but I have only seen that happen once in my life.

start by telling me if the compessor is comeing on.. it would also be very helpful to find out how much pressure you have in the system. do you have any kind of gauge at all?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:33 PM
jtk

the place you took it to dident just open the hood and say replace your PCM did thay? I mean a bad PCM could cause the A/C not to work but is that realy the cause and what led them to that?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:01 PM

they would have had to do a good half hour of electrical diagnostics to think the PCm was bad. if the AC reqest signal was going into teh computer yet the clutch contorl ground was not then sure it;s the PCM asuming that all the other comonents where looked at as well..
Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 PM

ok so i cant get the compressor to turn on. and when i hook up the DIY recharge kit the pressure gauge reads 100psi. i know im supposed to connect the gauge to the "low side" or something but i dont know where that is. i was using the port on the ac line right by the PCM.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM

if the gauge fit the port then you got it right. the low side port IS the port on the larger of the 2 lines.

now if it's reading 100PSI with the ac not coming on then your system is full. thats good.

now it's a matter of electrical diagnostics. do you have a test light or multi meter and are your ok with testing the system if I walk you through some tests?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 AM

I dont have any testing equipment. someone was telling me about paperclipping the switch on the sensor right next to the port for the gauge to kick the compressor on. is this true? thanks for taking the time to help me by the way.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:04 AM

is it true? to a point. is it a good idea? no.

if you can go and buy a test light from autozone or get your hands on a multimeter I can tell you what to test

Quick Reply: AC Problem *NEED HELP*