General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Anyone ever replace the interior wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Anyone ever replace the interior wiring harness

I have my dash out of my 94Z and im upgrading it to the 97+. I just got a harness out of a 98Z. Im debating on whether I should just pull the entire harness or cut what I need and soder it in. Anyone that has done this what would you recommend? All I really needed was the cluster conector and the harness for the monsoon stereo system.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Re: Anyone ever replace the interior wiring harness

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/345879/3
Why not just reuse your 94 harness. I don't believe the 98 will work because the gauges are wired differently than 97's.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM

You can do this both ways. I swaped mine and changed the entire interior harness. I also had to change the forward interior harness (it runs from one door across the upper dash and into the other door) because the door lock circut was major different between the two years. If you do it this way, be warned. It's not easy and you will also need the airbag computer and BCM form the donor car. You can't just cut the harness going to the rear because they are big time different. PM me if you go this route.

The other way is to swap your existing harness into the new dash. All wires will reach and connect perfectly except the hatch release which you will have to lengthen the harness. For the gauges you will need the electrical plug from the new dash and swap all the pins from your old connector to the new connector. (pins are the same in both) This way is much easier.

Either way you go shoot me a PM or email if you have questions. Good luck, I love my new dash.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:15 PM

I decided gutting the interior harness is a waste of time. Im just going to cut the connector for the cluster and soder the correct wires in. The only problem I have now is wiring the monsoon system. Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 11:32 AM

If you are gonna follow the install on that page i linked you don't have to cut your old wires. You just use a paper clip and remove the wires from your old plug an then plug them into the appropriate spot on your new plug.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:03 PM

does this part number include the piece that holds the connecter to the dash so I can put the cluster in? GM part number 12065803.. I already have the pin connecter I just need the piece that keeps the harness in one place so I can install the cluster.

Thanks