General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Do I need to be talked out of an LS1? Please tell me LT1's are better

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:55 PM

Red face Do I need to be talked out of an LS1? Please tell me LT1's are better

Okay, I know it is whatever the person desires, but, here is what I am thinking.

LT1's are supposed to be much funner for cruising the streets due to thier torque down low. Then there are the LS1's that are a little sloppy down low and more fun up top. Hmmm, case closed, right?? WRONG! With thinking how the LS1's have so much more horses out of the box, I like that idea and I am having second thoughts about my LT1 projects, that and you all know about my *hard* clutch pedal whining, where as a LS1 would solve that issue. Am I leaning to the dark side and need to be pulled back or should I investigate this more? I really do like the idea of down low fun, but, I was pulled on, hard, by an LS1 and it really pissed me off too.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:01 PM

Re: Do I need to be talked out of an LS1? Please tell me LT1's are better

The LS1 comes with alot more power out of the box as you already know and mod for mod, it will be ahead of the LT1. I have had similar thoughts myself. Do I just sell my car and get an LS1? No, I invested too much time and money into it so far.
Should I transplant an LS1 motor in there? Thought about it, but I'm not crazy about the aluminum block and I'm guessing the cost and labor can quickly get excessive.
So now my current plan is to keep my LT1 and build up a forged, cam only shortblock with a blower. Along with the nitrous that is already on there, it should be fun to drive and hold its own to the competition.

But you never know, I may just say screw it, sell it, and buy a 98-02 f-body or 03/04 Cobra.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
The LS1 comes with alot more power out of the box as you already know and mod for mod, it will be ahead of the LT1. I have had similar thoughts myself. Do I just sell my car and get an LS1? No, I invested too much time and money into it so far.
Should I transplant an LS1 motor in there? Thought about it, but I'm not crazy about the aluminum block and I'm guessing the cost and labor can quickly get excessive.
So now my current plan is to keep my LT1 and build up a forged, cam only shortblock with a blower. Along with the nitrous that is already on there, it should be fun to drive and hold its own to the competition.

But you never know, I may just say screw it, sell it, and buy a 98-02 f-body or 03/04 Cobra.

I agree..with most of it. ive put too much time and money into my LT1 and also..in my opinion a 9-10second LT1 is much more bad-*** than a 9-10 second LS1..cuz they are harder to get there.Plus for me..I kinda have the best of both worlds..a turbo LT1 with a 98+ WS6 front end(more air for the intercooler)
Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Ehh, it does suck to start modding a car then switch projects. Finish this one up.

You cant go wrong with either. But you will go broke faster doing an LS build up.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:57 PM

I remember someone saying "A LS1 makes you cocky; A LT1 makes you confident." I thought it was funny becasue sometimes it is true, but whoever has more money goes faster
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 PM

I have drove both. A bone stock LS1 car, and my Camaro, as well as 1 or 2 other LT1 cars. To drive them, I would honestly say the LT1 is the funner car.

But, I would buy an LS1 any day if I could afford it. I have a LT1 so I stick with it. But in reality, a LS1 is lighter, just as reliable, and more reposinsive to mods. The down side, they look gayer, and dont feel as TQ'ey to drive around puttzing.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:38 PM

Stick with the underdog!!!! LT1 for life.
Steve
Old 09-01-2006, 08:42 PM

well the LS1 engine has something an LT1 doesn't have... piston slap
Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
Ehh, it does suck to start modding a car then switch projects. Finish this one up.

You cant go wrong with either. But you will go broke faster doing an LS build up.

Well, see, thats the catch, I really havnt started yet, per say, its all in the mind. I was thinkng going the cheaper route and getting a 98 up and going from there. Dont like the more money end of it, lol.

Goddamn I have to admit, I forgot just how much I missed my 97 SS
Old 09-01-2006, 11:20 PM

The LS1 is the better motor all around. Also consider the availability of aftermarket parts like blocks and killer heads. Feels like our motor are obselete.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:58 AM

Lt1 will always have more torque ls1 flows well heads flow a lot better. More ruggid you can spray the lt1 and it handles more abuse. Ls1 blocks are aluminum, nitrous and aluminum equalls no no.. after time the ls1 wears down. There are so many lt1s with high mileage that are stil are l running strong compared to ls1s ls2s.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:14 AM

Anyone can buy a fast car, you get more respect building one.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:13 AM

... I just posted this in LS1 tech, ill try and explain it on here though too.

YES, A LS1 DOES make more power across the board. But thats at WOT, on a dyno.

Get in a LT1 car, drive it. Then get in a LS1 car, drive it.

At normal part throttle driving, the LT1 feels significantly stronger. Its the old "My LT1 FEELS faster than your LS1" story. LT1's, for crusing around town, really do feel "torqueier" ... Drive both and you will understand what I mean. Ive driven both multiple times now. Different cars at different times. I'm not crazy.

Im sure at WOT a LS1 makes more though. Part of the reason they probably dont feel as responsive down low is in their heads. They flow better. Free-er flowing heads = Big Horsepower. Not tons of low end.

FWIW, I saw go LS1 only if you can affod something with low miles. If not, buy a LT1 and be happy that you can throw the extra money into a NX kit or something.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:54 AM

the ls1 is a better motor than the lt1, plain and simple. But, I like to joke with the camaro guys in my area how they might have a 400hp ls1 but so do 20 other people within a 5 mile radius.

I like my lt1 being that it's not supposed to be fast yet still isn't too shabby.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zeueses 97 RamAir
Lt1 will always have more torque ls1 flows well heads flow a lot better. More ruggid you can spray the lt1 and it handles more abuse. Ls1 blocks are aluminum, nitrous and aluminum equalls no no.. after time the ls1 wears down. There are so many lt1s with high mileage that are stil are l running strong compared to ls1s ls2s.
Dude, what is your basis for this?? Do you have dyno graphs to prove that LT1's will ALWAYS have more torque?? Have you got evidence of LSx engines failing prematurely?? Don't think so . And there's nothing wrong with spraying an LS1 ... typically a ~125 shot is the most that is "recommended" for a stock LS1 ... I don't know what is considered normal or "safe" for a stock LT1??

I am NOT going to "toot my own horn" so to speak. I love my LS1, but I've got lots of friends with LT1's, and I've been beaten at the track by LT1's. They ARE a great motor, but the LS1 does have some clear advantages over the LT1, but they're nothing that can't be over-come if you've got the money to put into your LT1.

Originally Posted by razor02097
well the LS1 engine has something an LT1 doesn't have... piston slap
And an LT1 has something an LS1 doesn't have ... Opti-spark!

Seriously though, the piston slap has not been proven to be detrimental to the engine ... it sounds worse than it really is, and it's due in large part to the aluminum block that you hear it so much. But as far as the "no torque" feel? I've never really felt my car is sluggish or "sloppy" as somebody put it, but it's nothing a lower gear ratio can't take care of . And once you get it cranked up, she's a beast!!

Quick Reply: Do I need to be talked out of an LS1? Please tell me LT1's are better