General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:18 PM

interior lights

My interior lights will not go off both rearview mirror and hatch lights. It is just all of a sudden thing. I manaaged to get the rearview lights off by putting the switches in the middle and pulled the bulb for the hatch. So any ideas or place to look first. Does scrapeing over a speed bump have anything to do to with it?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 AM

Re: interior lights

Did you check the dimmer to see if it was turned all the way up? When it is, it turns the lights on until you turn it down one notch.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:04 AM

yup I checked that. Also turned headlights off and interiors stayed on.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:39 AM

Sounds like your BCM is t!ts up. Try removing power from the BCM without removing the power to the lights. Pull the black 6 pin connector off the BCM and see if the lights go out. If they go out, that proves the BCM is turning them on.

That doesn't yet mean the BCM is bad. You have to confirm the BCM is not being commanded to turn them on. To do that, check the grey wire, the grey/black wire and the black/white wire going to the blue connector at the BCM for the presence of ground. If either one of those wires is grounded, the BCM will turn the interior lights on.

If so remove the ground from those pins and see if the lights go off. If so the BCM is ok and the problem is somewhere on the wires or the switch that the wire goes to.

The grey wire goes to the dimmer switch, the grey/white wire goes to left door switch and black/white wire goes to the right door switch.
You may want to look at the door switches to see if they are corroded or the wire is touching the frame at one of them.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the hatch has a switch that goes to the orange/black wire on the blue connector of the BCM as well and I think the switch can be moved up and down in the latch assy. You may want to be sure the switch hasn't moved down keeping the switch "on" position even though the hatch is closed.

Dave

Last edited by slopokrodrigez; 08-14-2005 at 09:44 AM.