General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Keyless entry, security question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:21 PM

Keyless entry, security question

When I bought my car it came with a Viper remote and it had a security system installed. Well it has never worked. The only thing on it that really has any effect on the car is a wire that goes to the battery that if disconnected won't let the car start. I was thinking of buying a replacement factory remote for keyless entry since I can't get this Viper system to do anything. So would a factory replacement remote work for my car? I'd rather have the Viper remote work but I don't see that happening cause I have no idea what to with checking the wiring and all of that.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 AM

Re: Keyless entry, security question

a factory remote will not control the viper alarm system.

now when the car does not start what are the symptoms? does it crank and no start or does it not crank at all?

most likely its just a starter kill and you can probably go into the dash and disable that by cutting it out of the circut and wiring up the starter wire back to "stock".

id reccoment taking the alarm system to a DEI alarm dealer (they make viper) and having it professionally looked at they can probably figure out what parts are missing and reccomend or replace from there. just a warning though you will most likely be told to purchase a new alarm from them if you want it to work.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:58 PM

Re: Keyless entry, security question

I don't really want to control the Viper system. It doesn't really work, so I was just wondering if I could buy a replacement factory remote for the keyless entry since my car came with it out of the factory.