General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

ok to start car in storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:40 PM

ok to start car in storage?

Is it ok to start a car thats been in storage and let it run at idle for a little while and then put it right back in storage? Or should I just not start it until i am ready to take it out of storage?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:26 PM

Re: ok to start car in storage?

won't hurt anything.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:40 PM

Hell, I'd suggest starting it every once in awhile... leaving a car sitting for an extended period of time isn't really good, unless you drain all the fluids out of it
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 PM

I always thought it would be best to start it as much as possible but I read somewhere that if you start it and just let it idle for 10 minutes then park it again for a month that it would build up condensation. I wonder if that's true?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:05 PM

its best to let it run for a while or drive it if at all possible. You have to get it warm enough so that it doesnt build up condensation and start rust
Old 12-14-2004, 10:06 PM

Yea I heard you should drive it if possible to get it nice and hot.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:21 PM

you also put more cold starts on it, which isn't a good thing

i personally just take out the battery and leave it all winter
no sense in having 30 cold starts compared to 1 in the spring
Old 12-14-2004, 10:24 PM

Well driving it is out of the question so how long should I let it idle so i wont build up condensation? 15 minutes enough?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
you also put more cold starts on it, which isn't a good thing

i personally just take out the battery and leave it all winter
no sense in having 30 cold starts compared to 1 in the spring
I would have to agree with that one. I've been doing this for years on my T/A and my dad's vette is the same way no problems what so ever.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:03 PM

Its best to start it at least once a month and let it idle till the temp gets up into the normal operating range. Starting it periodically will ensure that none of the seals or gaskets dry out and crack, unless all the fluids are drained then that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by PipesTA
I would have to agree with that one. I've been doing this for years on my T/A and my dad's vette is the same way no problems what so ever.

I agree completely. I dont understand how some people think it is "good" for the car to cold start it in the freezing winter. That is the worst time of year to start a car with the oil all cold and thick. I remove my battery and park it until spring. I then change the oil when I pull it out of storage.

If you only store it for 4-5 months like I do, you dont even really need sta-bil in the gas. Just keep the battery in a warm place and trickle charge it before reinstalling it in the car.

Starting the car every week is perhaps the worst thing you could do to it, IMO. Why would you do that? the seals are not going to dry out in a few months time. All you would be accomplishing is unecessary engine wear and build up of condensation that could cause rust.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by automike25
Its best to start it at least once a month and let it idle till the temp gets up into the normal operating range. Starting it periodically will ensure that none of the seals or gaskets dry out and crack, unless all the fluids are drained then that shouldn't be a problem.
Why would draining the fluids prevent the seals and gaskets from drying out and cracking? Think about how silly that sounds.

I would think that seals are more likely to dry out and crack if they are devoid of fluids(dry). I would also think that heat would dry them out. So, not running the car would preserve the seals because the heat of operation would not dry out the seals.

The argument can then be made that is is better for the seals and gaskets to not run the car, and leave the fluids in it.

If you are storing the car for 1-6 months, just park it and change the oil before you put it back in service.

If you are storing a car for an extended period... 1 year or more, you'd want to do more. Fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil, let in soak past the rings and it will prevent the rings from rusting to the cylinder walls. Put the car up on stands so the suspension does not sag and the tires dont flat spot. Cover the tires and other rubber with a coating of petrolium jelly to prevent it from dry-rotting. Add silica gell packets to the interior to absorb moisture. block the exhaust pipes so rodents dont get inside them and make nests. Ther eare tons of precautions you could take.. But storing a car for a short time, like a few months is not such a big deal.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:31 AM

If it's just over the winter, I perfer changing the oil, adding fuel stabalizer, and putting the battery on a battery tender to keep it strong. Starting it once in a while really does nothing to help, but if you want to. Warm the engine fully and drive it. Otherwise acids and condensation will build up because the engine didn't get hot enough to burn them off.

Just let it sit, it'll be waiting for you in the summer.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:37 PM

I always start my cars up in storage, take it around the block, or up to mcdonald's or something, and right back home. About 1-2 times a month should be fine.