General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Power seat question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005 | 07:38 PM

Question Power seat question

I just bought a 95 TransAm. Pretty much the only gripe I have is the lack of power driver's seat.

If I have understood it correctly, if you had leather seats in LT1's, it was not possible to get the electric adjustments, just the bolster/lumbar adjustments? At least I don't think I have seen them...

Is it possible to add power adjustment for such a seat? Sure, many things are possible if you have enough money/time/skills etc., but could that be achieved with reasonable amount of the aforementioned things?

Better yet, has anybody done this? Any experiences?

TS
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:30 PM

Re: Power seat question

I guess nobody has done this, eh...?
Old 12-16-2005 | 07:17 AM

I guess you could get the power base off another seat and attach it to the bottom of yours. That would take care of the seat.

As far as power to the seats, I'm not sure if there is already a harness under your seat for it. see if you can take the seat out (4 easy bolts) and check for the slit in the carpet. If there is a wiring harness under there somewhere it would be pretty easy.

If there isn't, then you'd have to talk to someone else about where to wire it to. All you probably need is a good source and a good connection, I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable in the area can help you out here.
Old 12-16-2005 | 08:17 AM

The power seat tracks will bolt in without any problems. The electrical connector should be under the carpet ready to go.
Old 12-16-2005 | 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
The power seat tracks will bolt in without any problems. The electrical connector should be under the carpet ready to go.
Hmmm... I just wonder if it would really be that easy...?

Bolting on the tracks is definetely the least worrysome issue here, hooking up the elctrical stuff is... Unless there really is a harness already down there.

I guess I'll have to do some digging under the seat this weekend to see what I can find.

In the meanwhile, though, keep any and all suggestions/experiences regarding this issue coming.
Old 12-17-2005 | 03:22 AM

The best plan for you would be to sell your seats on eBay or whatever, and buy a set of Trans Am seats with the AQ9 option, from a '98-'02 car.

I bought a set of '95 Trans Am seats (leather, power lumbar, manual adjustments) from a wrecker, and installed them in my old '87 IROC. Great seats.

Compared to the seats in my present car (1999 TA Firehawk), I prefer the 1995 versions of the same seats. Here's why:

-the 1995 seats allow you to adjust the bolster under your legs. On the 1999 seats, this panel is fixed in place, and does not move at all.

-the 1999 drivers seat (this is the only one fully powered, remember) is taller than the 1995 version, as it has to make room for the mechanism underneath it. As a result, you will have less headroom. A small consequence for many, perhaps, but I noticed it, being 6' 2".

My 2 cents: you dont need all the power adjustability on the drivers seat. Its more weight, cuts down on headroom, and in the end, IMO, the 1999 seat is less comfortable than the 1995 version, for that reason.
Old 12-17-2005 | 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Davies
you dont need all the power adjustability on the drivers seat.
True, I really don't need them, but my wife does. The rear of the seat is way too low for her to see properly over the dash. Or at least the way she wants...
Old 12-17-2005 | 11:38 AM

These cars weren't designed for short people, I hate to say it. My ex was 5'3, even with the power seat all the way up and as high as it goes she could still barely see over the dash. I had to drive everywhere... Depending on how short she is, power seats might not even help.
Old 12-17-2005 | 02:05 PM

She's been okay with the power controls on my previous Z28's, so I'd think TA power controls would be enough, too.

Just need to figure a way to do it... :blah:
Old 12-17-2005 | 11:42 PM

Good point guys, I've never considered what it would be like to drive our cars if you were short! I've always wanted more headroom, and more legroom too! For your wife's sake, then, I would swap out the manual seats for the fully powered '99-/02 model of the AQ9 seat. Your best bet is to sell your seats, and pick up a set of the ones you want from an auto wrecker (like I did, got the pair for $500) or off eBay. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2005 | 01:19 AM

i have a complete drivers side power assembly for sale if you want it.
Old 12-18-2005 | 01:56 AM

I'm pretty sure you will have to go with the LS1 style seats if you want power seat tracks and the air pump setup. If you try to add the power seat tracks off an early Camaro you would gain the power seat tracks but you'd lose your air pump/bolster setup.
Old 12-18-2005 | 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I'm pretty sure you will have to go with the LS1 style seats if you want power seat tracks and the air pump setup. If you try to add the power seat tracks off an early Camaro you would gain the power seat tracks but you'd lose your air pump/bolster setup.
He does not need to replace the entire seat. Just the track will bolt in.

OneSlowZ28's offer is perfect. Jump on it.
Old 12-18-2005 | 11:01 AM

OneSlowZ28: PM sent.

I really don't care about the bolster and lumbar adjustments, so if I have to lose them, it doesn't matter much.

Tried looking under the seat yesterday,but couldn't find any extra connectors anywhere, so hooking the controls up might be a hassle... :blah:
Old 12-18-2005 | 12:36 PM

My wife's 95 Z28 has a power seat for the driver and she has never complained to me about any problems. She is 4' 11".
She does have an asernal of shoes though, perhaps there is some purpose to her army of shoes.

Quick Reply: Power seat question