General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Power seat question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005 | 05:31 PM

Re: Power seat question

Originally Posted by TABAHR
He does not need to replace the entire seat. Just the track will bolt in.

OneSlowZ28's offer is perfect. Jump on it.
Well you at least need controls and wiring off a newer one that would allow you to have the air bag setup and the power seat controls. If not you'll probably have to butcher some wiring.
Old 12-18-2005 | 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Well you at least need controls and wiring off a newer one that would allow you to have the air bag setup and the power seat controls. If not you'll probably have to butcher some wiring.
The power tracks should include the wiring and controls along with the plastic trim piece that houses the controls. I've had my power drivers seat track out and that was all I saw that was different from the non-power passenger seat. Make sure the guy selling you the track includes all necessary parts for a complete installation.

When you looked under your seat for the wires did you look under that slit in the carpet? They should be under there, and you might have to remove the door sill plate to lift up the carpet and get a good look.
Old 12-18-2005 | 10:11 PM

The power tracks should include the wiring and controls along with the plastic trim piece that houses the controls. I've had my power drivers seat track out and that was all I saw that was different from the non-power passenger seat. Make sure the guy selling you the track includes all necessary parts for a complete installation.
I know but if he gets a set of tracks, wiring, and trim out of a Camaro or something its not gonna have the places to control the air bags as well.
Old 12-18-2005 | 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I know but if he gets a set of tracks, wiring, and trim out of a Camaro or something its not gonna have the places to control the air bags as well.
AAHH! Good point, I see what you are saying now. Did GM ever sell his seats with the power lumbar stuff and a power track? If they did, he could possibly find a power track with controls and trim from a similar wreck that would perfectly incorporate into his current setup? Maybe he could get just the trim piece from a dealer and make all the switches/controls fit properly?

Any f-body power seat track will bolt up, we are now just looking at the way it will need to be trimmed to look finished and contain all the electronic controls properly. You dont want it to look hacked on. You need the proper trim items.
Old 12-18-2005 | 10:27 PM

AAHH! Good point, I see what you are saying now. Did GM ever sell his seats with the power lumbar stuff and a power track? If they did, he could possibly find a power track with controls and trim from a similar wreck that would perfectly incorporate into his current setup? Maybe he could get just the trim piece from a dealer and make all the switches/controls fit properly?

Any f-body power seat track will bolt up, we are now just looking at the way it will need to be trimmed to look finished and contain all the electronic controls properly. You dont want it to look hacked on. You need the proper trim items.
Also its been a long time since i've had my TA seats out but i'd assume there isn't a place to mount the TA Air pump set up on the Camaro tracks either, i'm sure a mount could be made it just maybe more trouble than its worth. I'm a big big fan of having my stuff look and work factory, except for the drive train. So i believe it you get the LS1 TA tracks and setup you will have what you need because i believe they were like 10 way power seats and i think thats because they had power tracks and the air bag setup, but i could be wrong.
Old 12-18-2005 | 10:48 PM

Like I mentioned earlier, having the air pump stuff is not a high priority for me, but if there is a way for me to keep them, I'm all for it.

I guess I should be on the lookout for power seat tracks/panel/switches from an LS1, then?
Old 12-19-2005 | 11:34 AM

I'm just jumping in at the end here....but in my '95 Z the driver seat has a total of one 2-wire plug to operate the power driver seat. This plug has +12v, and ground. There is no provision to tie into the air bag or computer. I have an entire seat available (the seat back was broken in the accident) and I am sure we could get this to work for you. Let me know if I can help!
-Michael
Old 12-19-2005 | 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SilverStreek
I'm just jumping in at the end here....but in my '95 Z the driver seat has a total of one 2-wire plug to operate the power driver seat. This plug has +12v, and ground. There is no provision to tie into the air bag or computer. I have an entire seat available (the seat back was broken in the accident) and I am sure we could get this to work for you. Let me know if I can help!
-Michael
We know it is a 2 pin connector, the airbag we are talking about is the one in the seat for lumbar support, not the SIR system.
Old 12-19-2005 | 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TABHAR
When you looked under your seat for the wires did you look under that slit in the carpet? They should be under there, and you might have to remove the door sill plate to lift up the carpet and get a good look.
Yup. I tried feeling through the carpet first and then poked my finger through the slit, but it is such a small slit, that you can't really get too far. At least so far I did not find any extra connectors.

Originally Posted by SilverStreek
-Michael
Thanks for the offer, but based on the info in this thread, I think I'm trying to find the power tracks from a 98+ car since they have the lumbar/bolster adjustments already.

If I can't find any, then I'll have to consider the other options since the lumbar/bolster adjustments are not too important to me.
Old 03-06-2006 | 08:38 PM

Kinda bringing this back from the dead, but any luck with this? I just purchased some T/A seats off ebay, but have yet to see them in person and am unsure of what year they came off of. Im pretty sure they are from an LT1 and are leather, so going by the info in this thread, that means that they dont have power seat controls. My seats in my Camaro now are power, and I enjoy having the ability to raise them up slightly. Not a huge deal, but i like the front a lil higher than the rear. Anyways, any new info on this?
Old 03-06-2006 | 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Kinda bringing this back from the dead, but any luck with this? I just purchased some T/A seats off ebay, but have yet to see them in person and am unsure of what year they came off of. Im pretty sure they are from an LT1 and are leather, so going by the info in this thread, that means that they dont have power seat controls. My seats in my Camaro now are power, and I enjoy having the ability to raise them up slightly. Not a huge deal, but i like the front a lil higher than the rear. Anyways, any new info on this?
The manual seats will raise up in the front if you want them to. Are they the big headrest or the little head rest design?
Old 03-07-2006 | 03:43 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Thats the passenger seat, drivers is the same.
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:15 AM

I think thats the little head rest design, I guess I can just wait till I actually get the seats and see whats going on...
Old 03-08-2006 | 12:47 PM

Those are what i refer to as the little headrest design, but i believe those are from an LT1 car. Because the early LT1 TA cars had the optional leg support and those seats have them. I've never seen a later model 4th gen with those. My TA seats are out of a 93 and they are big headrest so who knows what the deal is.
Old 03-08-2006 | 03:30 PM

Hmmm...so youre saying that LT1 seats typically have the large headrest while LS1 seats typically would have the small headrest? Oh well, few more days till i get to sort all this out in person.

Quick Reply: Power seat question