General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Summit racing seats....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Summit racing seats....

I'm thinking of doing a lot of weight reduction. I would like to have some Corbeau Forzas, but since my TA is not a daily driver, I was thinking of going with something cheap...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Have any of you used these seats in your F-body?
Will I have any trouble mounting them?
I know they're not great looking, but are they that bad???

Any more feedback?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:37 AM

try the appearnce forum
Old 11-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Not for LT1/LT4 Engine Tech..... moving.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Not bad on the price.... Do they sell a bracket for the f-body?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM

I have 2 of them in my 96. Honestly they are very comfortable. You will have to make your own bracket. I just went to home depot and bought some 1-1/4" angle and fabed up some brackets with a small wire welder. I'll post some pics in a few min...
Old 11-03-2006, 03:49 PM

this is the only one I can find right now. I know I have 1 or 2 of the brackets I made up but I'll have to look for them. Driver side is mounted to all 4 factory studs in teh floor and also bolted to the cross bar. Just drilled a hole in the front of the seat and bolted them to a plate on the cross bar.

Last edited by Projectz28; 11-03-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:00 PM

found them:

Driver side rear seat/belt mounts

Driver side bottom bracket from rear

Driver side bottom bracket from front

If I had to do it again I would have tried to make them from aluminum. The brackets are just as heavy as the seats but I wanted to utilize all 6 bolt holes in each seat for safety. I had no way of welding aluminum in my garage... I just have a small wire welder. The driver side is set for me and me only... you might not find it comfortable but you can make them to fit you.

Last edited by Projectz28; 11-04-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks Brian, that helped a lot.

Are the seats rigid enough to go without back support? I don't have a cage right now, so I don't have a cross bar to mount to.

Also, do you know about how much they weigh?

I was thinking of going with a universal bracket kit like this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=SUM-G1153
I think I can probably fab something up to make these work.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:15 AM

The seat itself is only 6-7 lbs. With the cover its probably 10 lbs or so. My brackets are probably 5-7lb. Total they are under 20lbs easy... probably closer to only 15lbs total.

BTW, I edited the description of the pics. Those pics of the brackets are both of the driver seat. I cant find any of the passenger side.

I doubt those summit brackets will work. The problem is the car. F-body seats are extremely low. If you have more then 2-3 inches of bracket you will feel like your sitting in a truck. You might even have to pop a t-top to get you head to not hit the roof

The brackets from driver to passenger side are also completely different. The mounting points are different. Mainly because of the hump in the passenger side for the exhaust under the car. But they are aslo further forward if I remember correctly.

The seats are sturdy enough for no rear mount, but I would highly recommend one for safety. If this is a track car you would want to be in a wreck with the seat not properly held down. My passenger side seat has no mount for the seat back... you can tell the difference when sitting in the 2. the passenger side has some flex to the seatback while the driver side is solid as a rock. My passenger seat is mainly there for looks and to satisfy a 2 seat rule in some of the clases I run in. I have never had someone sit in it while driving the car.

Try the Summit brackets and see if you can make them work, but I doubt it. If you cant you can always return them to Summit. Just dont mess them up. You will probably have to make custom brackets. Really not that hard if you have access to a welder and have some free time. I am sure you could make a bracket that just bolts together but it would require more metal and make it heavier.

Basically I just cut some angle with a hack saw and drilled a couple holes and bolted them to the floor. Then I used blocks of wood to set the seat on and tried several different positions till I found what was comfortable to me. Then I use more angle to bolt to the seat. Again put blocks under seat to find that comfortable position, then tack welded it together. Remover them and welded them fully. Painted and reinstalled the seats. You will notice I had to slot the angle to mate the pieces together in the rear. If I had them on top of each other it was too high. For the front i notched the angle then bent the top piece over the angle on the floor. then welded.

My weldeing isnt the best but once its all in the car you almost cant see the seat brackets. I would have loved to make them from aluminum but this is all I had access to. Still saved a ton of weight over my stock full power leather

I did this with the carpet out of the car, then put it back in once I was done. I had both seats mounted in 1 Saturday afternoon of work.

Last edited by Projectz28; 11-04-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM

Thanks Brian. You've helped tremendously.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

The plastic seats or Kirkey aluminum seats are the way to go. My Corbeau Forza is about 15#, and the 4th Gen slider bracket they offer adds another 10# to that.... only about a 13# savings over the stock seat.

The brackets are the difficult part and Brian seems to have solved that. Make them out of aluminum and you could sell 'em as fast as you could make 'em. I'd be first in line for a set.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Will84
Thanks Brian. You've helped tremendously.
Your welcome.

I would love to make these out of aluminum. Honestly you will never get a slider on them also and still maintain a low stance and light weight. I opted to make em permenant and as strong as I could. I'm sure if anyone wanted a set out of aluminum we could work out a deal. I have a place I deal with for work that does custom fabrication, welding, milling and machine work. I could take my bracket up there and he could copy it in aluminum. The key would be to not have any holes drilled in it and you could drill your own.

It bet it would get expensive... probably be $100-$150 for 1 bracket. Thats alot considering I have a grand total of $12 into both of my brackets
Old 11-08-2006, 07:03 PM
WALLY1

I Have One Of Those Seats If You Are Interested. $40 With The Black Cover.