LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Annoying Squeaking from Rear Driver Side

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 07:00 PM

Angry Annoying Squeaking from Rear Driver Side

This just started doing this yesterday. The rear wheel on the driver sides squeaks alot. It's a pulsing squeak so probably something rubbing. When I apply the brakes, the squeaking gets louder but is still pulsing. More brakes and all squeaking is gone.

When I got home I felt the rotors and the sqeaky one was a lot hotter than the other rear one. I painted the calipers about a month ago. I'm definitly thinking a brake problem, but don't know what the exact cause is. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 08:53 PM

Arrow

Did you change your pads when you painted the calipers?

Sounds like you might just have worn pads or it can also be a sticking caliper which hangs the pads against the rotor all the time which in turn makes the rotor hot, which in turn will cause warping, hence the pulsation.

Gee... What a sentence...

Pull the wheel off and check your brakes. Easy and simple.

TS
Old 05-06-2003, 10:33 PM

I'm sure my pads are okay. They has about 3/8" left of stuff on them. I greased up the pins really well so I don't know why it wouldn't be sliding. Are you sure the rear rotors can warp?

When I touched the squeaky rotor it was so hot I couldn't hold my fingers on it for more than a couple seconds. I'm thinking this isn't hot enough to warp, but I don't know. I am going to take it apart sometime, and probably avoid driving it until then.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Ferocity02
Anyone else have any ideas?
Yep, after I ditched my car in a rainstorm the right rear had this funny littlel sqeal/squeak to it at times. Upon close inspection I noticed that the little sheet metal clip/spring thing that holds the pads was out of place and rubbing on the rotor. Put it back where it belongs and problem fixed.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:36 AM

Maybe a wheel bearing, just a thought.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:46 AM

I also have a sqeak coming from the drivers side rear end. My pads look to be pretty good and the sqeeler is not near touching. The only time my car squeels is at faster speeds over 60km and only on left hand turns. The harder I turn the louder it gets, a full out metal on metal sound but like I said my breaks are fine. When I turn right there is no squeels. Any ideas? My rotor looks pretty good.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:26 PM

Jeeze, you sure dug back far to find this thread!

I found out that my squeak is the parking brake shoe rubbing the inside of the rotor. I never fixed it but it has gotten better. When the squeaking starts, I pull up the e-brake a little and it goes away, so this is how I know. Something you might want to try...
Old 12-01-2003, 12:02 AM

Re: Annoying Squeaking from Rear Driver Side

Originally posted by Ferocity02
This just started doing this yesterday. The rear wheel on the driver sides squeaks alot. It's a pulsing squeak so probably something rubbing. When I apply the brakes, the squeaking gets louder but is still pulsing. More brakes and all squeaking is gone.

When I got home I felt the rotors and the sqeaky one was a lot hotter than the other rear one. I painted the calipers about a month ago. I'm definitly thinking a brake problem, but don't know what the exact cause is. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks
One of the caliper mounting bolts may be loose , sometimes one is not tight enough and will cause sqeakimg until you give it extra pressure "knowing form exp. " Rare but may have happened , just my2 cents , may want to check !