LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Anomaly Guaranteed to Stump All

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:29 PM

Angry Anomaly Guaranteed to Stump All

Ok people. I posted my problem awhile ago and tried some things to fix it but it's so damn confusing. So many months ago I drove the driver side through a mild pothole. Right then the rear driver side wheel (as far as I can tell) started squeaking. It was a pulsing squeak, every time the wheel turned over it would squeak. It's pretty random though, doesn't squeak sometimes, squeaks a lot others, but squeaks about 95% of the time. When the brakes are applied lightly, the squeaking gets louder, apply more, and it goes away.

First I thought it was my warped rotors, so I swapped those, and it still squeaked. Then I changed the brake pads. I took the ones from the passenger side and put them on the driver side, and vice versa. Same squeaking. So.... You would probably think the wheel bearing would be next right?

I attemped to change the wheel bearing myself but couldn't get the damn thing out. So I packed the bearing with grease and put it all back together. The squeaking stopped for about 20 miles, then came back. I then took it to Midas. They did a brake inspection first, then changed the wheel bearings. They thought the passenger side was squeaking too but I think that was BS. So, I picked it up from Midas today and the squeaking was still there.

The pieces of the puzzle just don't match. It has the symptoms of both a bad wheel bearing and bad brakes. I have no f-ing clue what to do next.

Here is the big clue!: After drving, the driverside rear rotor feels hotter than the passenger and both of the front ones. I can keep my hands on the others for about 7-8 seconds, then on the driver rear only for a couple seconds. It did this before and after the new rotors.

Me now thinky its a bad caliper. I did grease the pins. But that would make sense that it gets louder under braking. I was thinking that maybe the caliper is still kinda clamping the rotor even after letting off the brakes. But doesn't explain why it's pulsing Are there any other things I can do or check before I take it do a dealer?

Thanks for reading
Old 08-05-2003, 10:45 PM

I had this exact thing happen to me on a car. It was a Buick Lesable. Twice I got rotors that were out of round. Once I got a good rotor on there the noise went away. Same thing brake was getting hot, vibrated like that. I can't say that is your problem, but it has the same symptoms. I thought it was the CV joint at first, I'm guessing that isn't your problem... lol

Brian
Old 08-05-2003, 11:00 PM

Try slamming on the brakes a couple times from a 30-40mph roll and than come to a stop. I am thinking maybe the caliper is sticking on one side, This may fix the problem. Also, Does it pull to one side when you apply the brakes?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:45 PM

My brother's 93 TA has a pulsing squeek from the right rear too. His is a bent axle though. It's not bent bad enough to be a problem, just enough to make a noise from the caliper moving back and forth. Have someone follow you and see if the right rear is slightly wobbling.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:07 AM

Someone on the other board suggested that also. It seems like a very real possibility except wouldn't it vibrate the car at high speeds? I've gotten up to 80mph since this happened and the car felt normal. I'll look into that, not sure how to check though.

Post #500
Old 08-06-2003, 01:36 AM

Could your backing plate be loose, the 4 bolts that hold the brake backing plate to the rear axle?

What about the parking brake lever where it goes through the backing plate, is it rubbing anywhere?

Maybe the parking brake shoe is rubbing slightly causing the heat buildup.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:52 AM

I was thinking bent axle as well
Old 08-06-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by RedDevil
I was thinking bent axle as well
thats my guess also since it started after the pot hole and you hqave gone through the brakes
Old 08-06-2003, 11:56 AM

Your control arms might also be damaged... allowing the rear to be slightly off track.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:55 PM

i was thinking it might be the parking break as well. Mine had a similar noise, and the shoes were low, so i had it adjusted and the e-brake works great now and no noise.