LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Can I get enough traction with 9.5" rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 07:49 PM

Can I get enough traction with 9.5" rims?

Well, it's about time for me to pick out which rims I want to get. I've originally wanted to get 9.5" rims up front, but go 10.5" or 11" in the back(315 tires ). I can't find that many rims in my price range that are wide enough in back. So... if I do want to get 9.5" wide in back, with Nitto 555R rubber would I have enough 'tire' for traction? My car's close to stock right now, but I'll be doing some HEAVY modding soon, thinking of an ATI Procharger . What do you guys think?

Nate
Old 10-03-2002, 08:08 PM

I'm no expert by any means, but I've seen some pretty heavy duty cars running 17" 9.5's with 315's squeezed on them ... they didn't seem to have any traction troubles.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:22 AM
Eternal Member

Thumbs up

I am using stock IROC wheels and cutting 1.85 60 ft with BFG DR's. I have 304 RWHP. That is at the track that is prepped good. On my stock tires I will burn pass the 60 foot mark. So yes that is more than big enough.

I would go with the TT Icon. There are 4 LS1 guys in our club Motown Muscle that have them and all there cars are monsters.

Last edited by Chris Ja; 10-04-2002 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by rncotton
I'm no expert by any means, but I've seen some pretty heavy duty cars running 17" 9.5's with 315's squeezed on them ... they didn't seem to have any traction troubles.
It's actually possible to fit 315's on a 9.5" rim? I've never heard about this before. Anyone else know anything about it?

Nate
Old 10-07-2002, 04:57 PM

Anyone know? 9.5" tires....315 rubber....anyone?

Nate
Old 10-07-2002, 06:47 PM

doesn't sound like a good idea cause I thought most 315 tires minimum rim width is 11" On a 9.5" rim the tire would be probably mroe rounded, reducing the tire patch thats actualy hitting hte ground.... Then again, for drag racing, you might be able to get away with lowering the psi as long as the tire doesn't cup too much....
Old 10-07-2002, 07:21 PM

also, don't forget that not all 9.5"are created equal ... some run larger than others.

I wouldn't put 315's on my car no matter what size rim I have .... It's going to rub when cornering.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by rncotton
also, don't forget that not all 9.5"are created equal ... some run larger than others.

I wouldn't put 315's on my car no matter what size rim I have .... It's going to rub when cornering.
Yeah, I've heard stuff like that too. But people say it just takes a little TLC with a mallet/hammer in the rear wheel-well to keep from rubbing. I don't know how far I'd take violence, but 315 rubber would be nice. All I know is I want some great streetable traction when my ATI Procharger goes in. Yeah, it'll be a year down the road but still.

But no, I'm not sold on 9.5's. I'd love to get some 11" ZR1s, but everyone's got em. I'd love some TT2's, but everyone's got em- plus they're not even chrome. I'd like 18x10.5 Z06's but I'm finding it hard to find 305 or 315 rubber for them. Oh well, some good SHOULD come from all of this. All I know is time is counting down before I get my rims. Only a few more months, and I don't wanna make a last-minute decision. Grrrr.... decisions decisions decisions

Nate
Old 10-08-2002, 08:58 AM

why would anyone want sooo much rubber?
thats just insane..

Makes no sense..

The way I see it.. Get the most traction with the least amount of tire.. then you are at your fastest.. Bigger is not always better..

Case in point.. my LT1 (before heads and RRs) and my friends WS6.. We both raced a supercharged Integra.. (sad huh)..

Off the line.. with my 245's I was spinning and gave up the hole shot... but brought him down by 60-70mph..

WS6 lines up.. 315's on back... launch and have him by 1-2 off the line.. then at about 80mph the little bastard runs (<-- operative word) by him.. and takes him by about 4-6...

That was just sad IMO.. sure they are good for launching.. but too much friction just becomes more drag..

I would never go more than 275's... but seeing as how I mainly run at the track anyways.. I will be fine with 245's.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:16 AM

my buddy has a 93 z with the 00 ss rims on it and he just put some 315 on the rear of that thing and man does that thing look stout it doesnt really give him enough traction to make up for the fast the tires weigh like 20 lbs a piece he said he can definatly feel the weigh difference and it feels like it slowed him down.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:26 AM

Damn, I didn't think that the size difference would have such an impact on drag and friction. Seriously, I knew there might be a little bit of a difference, but not like that. But seriously, if that's true I guess I'll find myself going with 9.5's all the way around. I take it you can still get some awesome traction if you do some good suspension work? (LCA, reloc. brackets, torque arm, SFCs)

Nate
Old 10-08-2002, 12:58 PM

Forget it .... if you're putting on a procharger you will have a tough time getting anything resembling traction with nothing less than a full drag set up.

I've seen 4 of them out at our local track trying to run on DOTs and DRs and any given run can be anywhere between 11.5 and 13.5 - generally closer to the 13.5 - depending upon how they blow thier tires off.

The only one I've seen hook, is an LT1 running 28x15 slicks ... not DOT or DRs ... slicks. The car's is licensed and "streetable" but is always trailered in.

Good Luck
Old 10-08-2002, 06:44 PM

yup..if you are talking about the here and now.. dots or drs are good.. if you want to gear only for the procharger.. look at a real rear end and some slicks...

but remember it goes both ways.. I watched a 2001 when it was cool outside and the car was damn new (paper plates) run slicks (guy took them off his trailered 69 camaro) and he only turned a 13.5.. Too much traction after the launch.. left him with drag... That would be my guess.. He could drive and had another fast car.. just that this one had too much tire...

after researching.. i think I am going with the nittos.. The new version of the BF Goodrich DR's are only available in sizes I dont want.. I didnt like the tread pattern of the old style DRs.. Although they have a treadwear rating of 40 compared to nittos 100...
Old 10-08-2002, 11:23 PM

I have 275 nitto drag radials on 9.5" wide Z06 wheels and they rub on hard cornering, i have heard you can go with 315 wide nittos but then you have to think about the rear end, you would probably need a 12 bolt with that much power and traction. I have 410 gears with my nittos on my 96 camaro SS and they dont even scratch between 1st and 2nd.

good luck
matt
Old 10-09-2002, 12:20 AM

Ok if you are gonna run a street tire only the 275 or 315s are great...But if you are goin to run slicks or drag radials then you should leave your 16 inch wheels on...They will have a taller sidewall so that mean there is more sidewall flex which in drag racing equals traction..Lets think about it here...A 315/35/17...It has a 35 sidewall profile which is really short and very hard, so there wont be much flex if any at all so the tire will get less traction....If you have a 255/50/16 then you have a 50% aspect ration in stead, which means when your slicks are aired down you will have much more traction...Its a trade off for both...On the street I have friends with 315/40/17s on 17x11 ZR1 wheels and they dont rub unless you have 3 or more people in the car...So if you are going to street tires then 275-315 are great...But for DRs or slicks got like 245-255/50/16....If you are a hardcore drag racer then get 15s....

The name of this game is sidewall flex for the strip...For autox or road racing, then low sidewall flex is a must, like 17s with a 40% aspect, or a 30, or 35% aspect ratio...

Quick Reply: Can I get enough traction with 9.5" rims?