LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Engine air

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 11:19 PM

Engine air

As im sure you all know there are tons of air intake mods out there for our LS1s. In fact there is so much you can do I'm confused so I have come to seek your advice. There is the K&N FIPK kit, can that be used with a reg KN filter. Then there is a Whisper lid, do i use that or the KN. And how would this work with a cool air intake. I also bought a Mass Air flow sensor. I really have no idea what to do so if someone could let me know what would would be the best way about going about my Cold Air problem. Thanks. I appreciate the advice.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:30 PM

The lids yield all the same HP numbers, the are differences in looks and prices. I like the carbon fiber look personally and there are clear ones. On the filter most LS1's are going with the Holly Powershot, it fits the airbox better. Also when you do this mod, do the free ram air and TB bypass while you are at it.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:04 AM

Ditto on what KnightRider says, when I put the direct flow lid on my 98Z, I also did the FRA mod and the TBB mod. The increase in throttle response and performance was very noticable. The K&N filter and Holley Powershot filter both work great with this set up. Your filter will get dirtier quicker so keep an eye on it if you decide to do this mod. The FRA mod, and others, are explained at www.installuniversity.com Keep us updated on your progress. Check the direct flow lid out at www.ls1motorsports.com I bought both my cars lids from there.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:32 AM

Cool Air

Another vote here for www.ls1motorsports.com lid.
On the "Free Ram Air" mod I did not cut the plactic piece under the air box because it already had a couple of slits that shoves plenty of extra air to the filter. This also helps keep the filter from getting as dirty as if you cut the holes bigger. It just looked like you need a little more air and by cutting the bottom of the air box and exposing the slits from the factory did more than enough. I hope that made since I am just using the Fram paper filter, there are test out there that do not show much improvment with a K&N or Holly filter. The Fram is cheap and are supposed to flow a little better than the stock one. I'll just change it often. And you will have to watch the filter at the rear where the new cut is, I have pulled out plactic bags, large bugs, leaves, etc....The ram air will shove more than just air up there. I did get a SOTP feel after the lid, FRA and Throttle open to 90 deg. mod. Later>>>>>>>>