LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Ignition and Fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 12:20 PM

Post Ignition and Fuel issues

I just finished my head and cam install and tuned the car this last Monday. The tuning went well after we installed some 28# injectors. The car ran great all of Monday and Tuesday. Late Wednesday, almost as if a switch was turned on, the car began misfiring and dumping lots of extra fuel through cylinder 1.

So far I've swapped the plugs and wires from cylinder 3 to cylinder 1, with no change in results. I've also swapped injector 1 for injector 2, no change in results either. I'm sending the injectors out for cleaning and balancing right now.

From what I can tell on AutoTap is that the bank 1 and bank 2 injector pulse widths are different by a half to full millisecond when the misfires occur. The exhaust smells really rich.

When I drive it there is a significant loss of power, but not as much as if you were to leave a plug wire off. The car does get better and doesn't register any misfires, but it always is a bit rich. In some of the gears (like 4th) it sometimes doesn't have the pickup that I'm used to.

Basically at idle it's smooth for a little bit. As I get moving the car bogs down, as if someone was holding it down. When I give it fuel it just bogs down quite a bit and then it will start to burn it off and go. I think I hear a ticking at certain rpms that is not that same clicking as the valve springs.

Has anyone had similar issues?

Right now I have the injectors out for cleaning and balancing. I'm hoping that they are the culprits. I can put my 24# injectors back in and try it out again. I'm also wondering if it's a coil going dead?

Anyway, I can't really explain it any better. If anyone has had any similar experiences let me know where else I can look!

------------------
Grand Rapids, MI
2002 WS6
http://www.sigma-epsilon.org/steve
stevedertien@attbi.com
Whisper Lid, Grotyohann Headers and Y-pipe, Corsa Exhaust, BMR SFC's, McLeod Single Disk, Spohn Torque Arm, LCA and Panhard Rod and much more to come