LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 11:17 PM

Question Oil change question

Ok so I changed the oil in my car today for the first time (first time ME doing it I mean). Last time I got one of those minute lube places to do it, but this time I didn't really trust them, it's a good thing too, because when I went under the car I seen oil all around the filter, and when I went to take it off, it spun easily off with no resistance, so the bastards at the oil change place didnt tighten it enough

So I'm going to be doing it myself for now on I think. But the thing is, I could only find two of those grease points, up in behind the tires. Shouldn't there be more?? or are our cars the type that are permanantely sealed? I have also heard that some cars come with bolts in the grease points, that at about 10k you're supposed to remove the bolts and install grease nipples. Anyone? I have found bolts that look like they should be grease points...

I couldn't even put any grease in those two because the grease gun I bought has a stiff metal nozzle and it looks liek you need a flexible one to reach up in there.

Oh and I put in 4 litres, it came out on the dipstick right at the top of the operating range, so that seemed ok. But when I took it for a spin, the oil pressure needle was fluctuating quite a bit, between that 275 mark and the mark halfway between the 275 and the 550. it would just go back and forth, mostly when I applied the brake or gas. This is probably just it settling in right? Forgive my stupid questions, but i no really next to nothing about LS1's. I've worked on older cars a lot, but these new ones confuse me. I bet you'd never believe I was the oil change guy in a garage for three years but I found it's a bit different when you're jacking it up and crawling under there in your own driveway.

------------------
2001 Camaro SS #C095 RCS Secret Street #R675
Light Pewter Metallic
M6, T-Tops, Ebony Leather
Appearance: Alpena Pedals, 15% Tint (Side & Rear), SLP Car Cover.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:47 AM

Thumbs up

I think you are well advised to do your own oil changes - after working 2 summers @ a Jiffy Lube in the 80's & seeing the amount of non-mechanically inclined personnel they had employed ...

In any case, if you found even one grease fitting , you have done well ! My '99 has none - "lubed for life".

Um, yeah.

As far as the oil level - if you are in the operating range, you're set.

I do question your quantity, however - I see that 1 liter = 1.057 quarts.

So, 4 x 1.057 = 4.228 quarts - the LS1 needs 5.5 quarts ( 5.204 liters) of oil with a filter change.

Did you prefill the oil filter ? If not, you "lost" a 1/2 quart ( .473 liter ) right there.

I can't figure out your gauge readings - are they in Kilopascals ?

If so, 1 Kilopascal = 0.1450377 PSI , so
275 x .1450377 = 39.88 psi , which is awesome @ idle.

550 Kilopascal = 79 psi - no problem there, either.

Figure roughly that if the oil pressure gauge idles no lower than the first mark from the left (1/4), you are O.K. - and anything above that is gravy.

Best of Luck !!

Britt

------------------
'99 T/A
Best 13.071 @ 104.92
Now own '99 SS # 2073 !
12.969 @ 105.44
Old 08-14-2002, 08:15 AM

Talking

yeah it kindof jumps between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark. Sorry, I thought USA and Canada use the same pressure system

I thought it should have taken about 5 quarts too, but they had a 4 litre jug, so I bought that, and like I said, it went right to the top of the operating range, so even once the filter takes what it does, it should still be in the operating range I think. But I am going to check it this morning and if it's low I'll pick up another litre to top it off. Thanks for the help

But I'm still wondering about the grease, anyone else know anything about that?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:52 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aneurysm:
yeah it kindof jumps between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark. Sorry, I thought USA and Canada use the same pressure system </font>
No, unfortunately we have to be different than the rest of the world and use the crappy "english" measurement system that England doesn't even use!

Personally, I prefer the Metric system. Conversions are a breeze and can be done in your head by simply moving the decimal point. Unlike our retarded system .. 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, so how many inches in 10 yards? (12x3)x10=360 Geez ... how ignorant can they make this stuff? Metrics is the only way to go!

Sorry ... I got a bit off the subject ... my bad.

------------------
2001 TransAm WS6, M6 3.42
HPP, TBB, 160* t-stat, MTI Lid, Holley PowerShot, Flowmaster 80, Port/Polish MAF

www.BlackWS6.com

2001 Z28
-- R.I.P. - 06/25/02

[This message has been edited by rncotton (edited August 14, 2002).]
Old 08-14-2002, 03:21 PM

always fill the new filter with oil!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 05:50 PM

my two cents - jiffy lube did that to a friend of mine with an SS also. they are idiots. I am mechanically challenged but always change my own oil. by the way, this Z28 is really great to change the oil where the filter and plug are located compared to my previous cars, - monte carlo and lumina where nightmares to get at...
Old 08-14-2002, 09:33 PM

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cdmelcher:
by the way, this Z28 is really great to change the oil where the filter and plug are located compared to my previous cars, - monte carlo and lumina where nightmares to get at...</font>
I AGREE!!! I just performed the first oil change on my car last saturday (right around the 5000km mark) and was pleasantly surprised to find the drain plug and oil filter right there on the bottom of the motor in a place that's easy to catch with a drip pan!! The filter was not on its side, or on an angle, and it wasn't overtop of the exhaust or anything else either!! I did notice how the filter actually seals upto the oil pan vs to the block like older engines, and the oil pan actually forms a part of the engine that bolts to the bell-housing on the transmission (the LS1's sure have changed from an old SBC!!!).

I also only used 4 litres of oil, and it put the oil just below dead-center in the operating range, so I may buy an extra jug (of Mobil 1 ) the next time to use as "top-up" oil so I can keep the level a little closer to the top of the operating range (and to fill the oil filter --- I forgot this time , but will do so in future).

Oh yeah, and my pressure usually runs at 3/4 on the gauge (~400kPa / ~60psi) while I'm driving on the highway, and closer to 1/2 when in the city (~275kPa / ~40psi). Even at idle, it hardly drops below 1/2 --- a little, but not much at all.

------------------
2002 Z28 - A4, 2.73's, Blk/blk, leather, T-tops, sport appearance package - just bought on June 26, 2002! - Pics

1981 Z28 - 383, TH350 trans., 3.42 posi - sold August, 2000 - Pics

1973 Camaro - Dad's & my project in the works - to be built: 355 Chevy, 11.5:1 pop-ups, "camel hump" heads (w/2.02 valves), solid cam, 4-speed.....it should be quick! - Pics
Old 08-14-2002, 10:12 PM

HOw often should I change my oil? I'm not very hard on my car and I use synthetic. I usually change it every 6,000-8,000 miles.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:58 AM

I use a total of 6 litres and the dipstick level comes slightly above the full mark.I would not recommend only 4 litres of oil in an ls1 as the oil pump in these motors will move a lot of oil at high rpm's. I believe the exact amount is suppose to be 5.75 litres so I have always rounded to 6.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:11 PM

Question

I know it's not good to be low on oil (obviously?! ), as in, below the add mark (the bottom of the operating range), but is there nothing wrong with having too much oil?? If there's a specified operating range, wouldn't that be the best place to keep your oil? Not over or under? Does anyone know?
Old 08-15-2002, 04:31 PM

Yes there is a problem with over filling oil in a motor. Crank case pressure!! over filling your oil to much will make a higher Crankcase pressure. How much i dont know. With over filling oil you can blow out a gasket or a seal. will a half Qt. do it? I dont know. But i have seen this happen in Lots of GM 6.2L diesel.

------------------
"Mustang Killer"
Black 2002 Z28 M6 T tops
SLP LID
SLP BELLOW
K&N Fillter
FlowMaster