LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Please help me make my decision: GMMG or Corsa?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 03:40 PM

Question Please help me make my decision: GMMG or Corsa?

I originally was planning to buy a Corsa cat-back exhaust system for my car but I asked for info regarding the system and I got no replies. So I went over to www.LS1.com and over there I discovered a new exhaust system......the GMMG Chambered Exhaust System. Over there at LS1.com, GMMG seems to be the god of all exhaust systems.

So what gives???? I'm confused now. I was all hyped up to buy Corsa but now.....I can't make up my mind.

Just please help me make my decision.

I want quality. I know GMMG is louder but is the sound nicer than the Corsa?

I most importantly, want durability. I don't want to have to worry about my $700+ cat-back system acting up after only running it 6 months. I want it to sound nice stock, and modded.

Can you guys give me all the info you have about the GMMG system cause I went to their site and aside from some videos, there wasn't much info on it.

How much is the GMMG system with shipping and handling with the nice tips? Is there more than one GMMG system? Are there different sizes? How long would it take for them to ship me the GMMG system?

Pretend money isn't an issue....decide for me. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:21 PM

I personally love my Corsa. I love the sound at idle and at WOT. As for customer service. A big 2 thumbs up. I was at Carlisle, PA for the All GM and Camaros at Carlisle. Corsa was there. As I was polishing my muffler I noticed that there was a crack in the pipe/muffler. I tracked down the sales rep. he looked at it and was shocked that it did that. I went back to the booth, he took all my info and sent me one ASAP. They paid for the return shipping of the old muffler so they could examine it to make it better. There were no questions asked, just sent a new one.

As for GMMG I can't comment. I have heard it and it is loud. It's respectable.

I say go fro what you want. Remember it's YOUR car. Who cares what everyone else thinks. As long as you like it....That's all that counts. Sometimes people say go with your gut instinct...It's most of the time correct.

I'm sure what ever exhaust you choose you will like. Happy deciding.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:54 PM

Arrow GMMG or Corsa?

I just want to make sure that I make the right decision. After all, its not every day that I order a $750+ exhaust system.....
Old 10-16-2002, 06:31 PM

I've never heard a Corsa, but I get nothing but compliments about my GMMG system.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:53 PM

i spoke to the guy at www.sweet-thunder.com today..
If I were to get an exhaust.. I would put this pipe under the car around where the I-pipe is and then have a tail pipe dump under the car.. Thats what I am considering..

Hard to explain but after speaking with him and looking at exhausts.. thats what I would do..

Look into mufflex... GMMG is not worth it once you see the prices of sweet-thunder....

JMO..
Yes I have seen and heard a GMMG in person.. I was not as impressed as I was by the sound of the corsa on a C5 or by the Ferrari 550 Maranello exhaust note.. music.. sheer music..
Old 10-16-2002, 06:58 PM

The 550 Maranello exhaust's perfection needs no mention. It should be understood that a Ferrari is a breed apart. BTW, I only paid $150 for a take-off GMMG from a Blackbird. The customer that bought the car wanted a different exhaust.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:23 PM

If you don't mind driving out to Schaumburg(I'm only about 10 minutes away from Speed Inc) I'll let you hear the GMMG I have on my 2002 Z28 in person.

As for my honest opinion, Corsa sounds too exotic/high-pitched on LS1's. And I must be one of the few who doesn't like the way it looks on Camaro's. GMMG is deeper and more muscular sounding. Compared to stock, both exhaust are slightly louder at idle, somewhat louder during normal cruise, and a lot louder at WOT. It all depends on the looks and sound that you want.

BTW, I e-mailed you.

Mike

2002 M6 Z28

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 10-16-2002 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:20 PM

Mystery Z28 make the trip out to listen to 2000LS1Z28's GMMG. The best thing you can do is hear one in person of each system your thinking about getting. Everyone's likes and dislikes are different. I was about 95% sure I was going to get a GMMG and then when I heard one in person I knew there was no way I would get any other one. But that's me. I've had a few other people hear my system. Most people like but there have been a few that thought it was too loud or not for them. Take a trip and then you can decide for sure if it's for you. That's my .02 FWIW.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by 2000LS1Z28
As for my honest opinion, Corsa sounds too exotic/high-pitched on LS1's.
I totally agree.Our cars are not made to sound exotic.They are supposed to sound like old muscle cars where people hold their ears when you rev and shake you windows to your house when you pull in the driveway.When my buddy pulls up to my house my dog starts whining cuz its so loud.My car will mostlikely have the GMMG at some point.But for now I am gonna put on a cutout for the track. Speed is my main focus right now.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:12 AM

I was in the exact dilema not too long ago. Then I saw the Corsa on a Camaro and didn't care for the tips, as much I as did as online. Didn't get to hear it but I think I am going with the Louder GMMG, with the Oval tips to fit in the nice bumper cutouts on the Trans Am. Well, good luck on your decision.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Check out this video clip of us testing the ZL1 Camaro which has the GMMG exhaust (but also has FLP longtube headers as well).

https://www.camaroz28.com/articles/2...img/2002zl1.rm
Old 10-17-2002, 10:52 AM

Even though most of you have probably heard these sound clips of the GMMG, I thought I'd throw them out there one more time. They are from another very helpful board member's(cobraeater) website.

www.cobraeater.cz28.com/Exhaust

To those who think this exhaust is loud, it really isn't behind stock manifolds/cats/y-pipe. It only "really" gets LOUD at WOT.

As for the Corsa tips(even though they look nice), I personally just think that they look funny on a Camaro. Having two 3.5" dual tips on each side is too much(or too big) IMHO of the one's I've seen in person. However, they look much better on T/A's.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:41 PM

GMMG!!!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:56 AM

honestly if you like the corsa for being quiet I dont think the GMMG is what you are looking for..
Old 10-18-2002, 08:00 AM

I've made up my mind......

I'm going to go with the GMMG Chambered Cat-back exhaust system with the oval tips. Its going to cost me $850 and from what I'm hearing, $850 well worth it. I've been hearing of way too many people having to send their Corsas back because of some deffect or hole in the muffler. I don't need that headache after spending this kind of money. I know anything can happen with any system but it just so happens that this seems to be almost common with Corsa runners. Although I will say that those premiumCorsa tips are the best looking in the market from what I've seen, absolutely beautiful.

Thanks guys and gals.....

Quick Reply: Please help me make my decision: GMMG or Corsa?