LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Which SFC's to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 05:52 PM

Global West. http://www.globalwest.net/
Tuck in like they are supposed to. Can't even tell they're on the car unless you get under it. Strong enough to use as jack points.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by Drumhawk
I'm trying to decide which SFC's to buy for my 2002 firehawk with Bilstein suspension. Before this I had a 95 TA but you can't really compare the ride with the Bilsteins. It handles so good around curves I feel I really don't need SFC's but I'll be racing a bit at the track so which ones to get? I'll get a STB at the same time and I'm wondering how much heavier Kenny Brown's DD are to BMR tubulars? I'm lowered just under an inch with the Bilstein suspension so will boxed be a clearance issue on my car? Keep more post coming cause this isn't settled yet.
Drumhawk

The tubular bmr sfcs on my car still stick out slightly near the rear
I didn't think there'd be any clearance lost, but there's just a tiny bit. perhaps it would be a good idea to see someone with tubulars and boxed to see the difference. my car isn't lowered. but I have lost a bit of ground clearance
Old 05-13-2003, 10:14 AM

Sorry to beat a dead horse... but I can't find any SFCs that bolt-in on both ends. BMR, Global West etc. etc. bolt on one end and weld on the other end. Is there such a thing? I really don't like the idea of welding them on, and really really don't like the idea of having someone I don't know weld them on.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Y2kPewterSS
Sorry to beat a dead horse... but I can't find any SFCs that bolt-in on both ends. BMR, Global West etc. etc. bolt on one end and weld on the other end. Is there such a thing? I really don't like the idea of welding them on, and really really don't like the idea of having someone I don't know weld them on.

Thanks
As recommended by rncotton: http://www.spectaclesolutions.com
Old 05-13-2003, 11:12 AM

I have the Kenny Brown DD SFCs and I love them. (Shameless plug: $234.99 w/free s/h from Thunder Racing if you order online.) They are slightly visible from the side of the car, but I haven't noticed any problems with ground clearance. I can't give you a comparison to other brands since this is the only set I've purchased, but they have more than satisfied me.

As far as having someone you don't know weld in some SFCs (regardless of brand), check around for a local shop that is familiar with F-bodies. After calling about 5 or 6 shops, I decided to have mine installed at Arlington Motorsports and although I'd never dealt with those guys before, my mind was set at east once I saw the dozen or so other F-bodies in the shop. I've heard conflicting stories about catching carpet or fuel lines on fire when welding the SFCs in, but the guy who installed mine said there wasn't a problem.

One caveat: the KBDDs say they're zinc-plated to prevent rust, but the welds on mine were starting to corrode, so be sure to check the welds and repair them if necessary.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by brokenz
Global West. http://www.globalwest.net/
Tuck in like they are supposed to. Can't even tell they're on the car unless you get under it. Strong enough to use as jack points.
Have em and highly recommend them.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM

Still beating a dead horse here... My original question is if there are any SFC that are not dd style that are bolt-in. I can't find any. Does anyone know how much the spectacle solutions, KB, or SLP dd weigh? Also my car is lowered 1 1/2 but my SLP exhaust Y-pipe hangs down much further than any SFC I think. So why would I be considered about ground clearance to the SFC? Seems like I would rather the SFC hit than my exhaust.

Looks to me like the spectacle solutions SFC and STB aren't looking bad, except it looks heavy.

Brian
Old 05-13-2003, 03:03 PM

Well, they are light enough to let me run 12's with a lid/cutout/4.11
Old 05-13-2003, 03:40 PM

Does anyone know how much the spectacle solutions, KB, or SLP dd weigh?
Don't know about the Spectacle Solutions, but the KBs weighed between 25-30 lbs.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:10 PM

...My original question is if there are any SFC that are not dd style that are bolt-in. I can't find any. Does anyone know how much the spectacle solutions, KB, or SLP dd weigh? Also my car is lowered 1 1/2 but my SLP exhaust Y-pipe hangs down much further than any SFC I think. So why would I be considered about ground clearance to the SFC? Seems like I would rather the SFC hit than my exhaust.

Looks to me like the spectacle solutions SFC and STB aren't looking bad, except it looks heavy.
Brian
Some Pics of SLPs