LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Should I do front struts/springs/sway bar myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 03:00 PM

Question Should I do front struts/springs/sway bar myself?

I purchased the SLP Level 1 suspension, something this SS should have come with from the factory, but didn't. I got the back springs, shocks, panhard rod, and lower control arms on in a few hours, it was pretty easy. Hardest part was actually getting the carpet up!

However, I took the front wheel off to see how much of a job the front would be, and oh boy is it different from the ole 3rd gen! I'm not sure if I even understand what do do under there!

So my question is, for those that have done front suspension work, did you have someone else do it, and was it worth the money? Or did you do it yourself, and how much work was involved. I friend down the road has a couple spring compressors I can borrow, but that's about all the help I'm going to have on this project.

Thanks for the info!

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 25th Aniversary Edition, White, 3.1L MPFI V6, A4, catback exhaust with Flowmaster 80 Series, K&N with modded airbox, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs.

1999 Camaro SS #4224, Navy Blue Metallic, M6, Pro 5.0 shifter, whisper lid, and ported maf ends.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:19 PM

Exclamation

Be VERY careful doing the front.The springs can shoot off there and kill you or damage the car.I have never done this myself,but I have heard that some people remove the entire strut and take it to a shop and have the shop put the new spring on the strut.I wish I could help more,but please be careful.
Kevin

------------------
1998 Black Z28 A4
-------1/8-------
8.584 @ 83.64 MPH
Taylor 10.4mm wires,!EGR,!FRA,SLP Lid,MAF Ends,Manual Fan Switch,and Dynomax Cat-back

BMR STB and Sub-frame Connectors

Pics
Old 07-12-2002, 04:16 PM

The front springs and shocks aren't worth doing yourself. If I were you I would take it somewhere cuz you need a strut compressor to put them together or like the other guy said just take the whole spring and strut assembly off and take it to a shop. As for the front sway bar it is very simple took me about ten minutes, the only thing is on the drivers side there are extra brackets below the bolts that hold on the bushing and you need to remove that bracket completely and then put on the new sway bar and then put the bracket back on. A shop shouldn't charge you much for the shock/spring replacement service and its not worth it for you to do unless you are experienced.
I hope this helps, by the way how much did you pay for the suspension?
Old 07-12-2002, 07:40 PM

I actually got it through a group purchase started from this message board from Tbyrne motorsports (tbyrnemotorsports.com) for 599 WITH the reinforced control arms and panhard rod. It was 549 without the reinforced arms I believe. This was a very good deal, especially if you check what the prices direct from SLP are, and what Tbyrne and other places normally charge.

The only thing that sucked was the $75 for shipping! I think I may have gotten screwed on that, but they were two pretty heavy boxes.

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 25th Aniversary Edition, White, 3.1L MPFI V6, A4, catback exhaust with Flowmaster 80 Series, K&N with modded airbox, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs.

1999 Camaro SS #4224, Navy Blue Metallic, M6, Pro 5.0 shifter, whisper lid, and ported maf ends.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:59 PM

I've helped do the fronts and there a PITA, it's not removing the assembly from the car but removing the springs from the struts. Without the proper spring compressor (we tried two different kinds) there not worth doing yourself, I would recomend you remove the struts and have a shop install the springs. By doing most of the work yourself you'll saving some good money, my quess would be you could get a shop to swap the springs for $25/$30.