Old 07-14-2003, 08:54 PM

superchip's microtuner... BS?

saw this on their site:
Camaro 5.7L LS1 1999-2002 +32HP +17ft/lb

BS or Legit?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:07 PM

BS !!!!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:16 PM

They were displaying them on the Power Tour last month. They are still as expensive as the Predator but (from what they told me) they don't include a scanner like the Pred does.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:35 PM

maybe if you had an untuned h/c car with lt's. then tune it with that thing if you can do custom tuning, i can see it doing that. if its just like an hpp3 it is garbage and won't make any more power than what its worth.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:11 AM

I called 'em a couple of years ago .. if I remember correctly .. they hard code everything .. gears, shift points ... etc .. if you want to change anything you have to send it back for a new tune ... for a price
Old 07-15-2003, 01:56 AM

32 hp LOL.... ...maybe you'll see 5-10
Old 07-15-2003, 06:41 AM

I think both the Predator and Superchips programs are BS. They get you in the door with reduced cost handheld units, then say they can't do any more for you until you send your unit back in for mail-order programming. They can't do everything a custom-tuner (aka LS1-Edit, Steve Cole, Ed Wright, etc) can do. They will need A/F dyno graphs as well. To me, it doesn't add up.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:21 PM

Arrow

The Superchips programmers are basically identical to Hypertech programmers AFAIK, but I find that they're promoted more around my area, and I think it's because there's a local place that re-programs them, vs Hypertech's are re-programmed in the U.S. They do the same basic stuff (shift points / firmness, gear ratios, rev limiters, "power tuning") as Hypertech programmers, and I think they're roughly the same price.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by JimMueller
I think both the Predator and Superchips programs are BS. They get you in the door with reduced cost handheld units, then say they can't do any more for you until you send your unit back in for mail-order programming. They can't do everything a custom-tuner (aka LS1-Edit, Steve Cole, Ed Wright, etc) can do. They will need A/F dyno graphs as well. To me, it doesn't add up.
i thought you could get custom tunes with the predetor?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:55 PM

From what I understand, you send your handheld tuner back to the manufacturer, along with information gathered from a dyno for them to load a custom tune into the unit, then they return it to you. So, you don't lose the ability to drive your car since you're not actually sending them PCM.

There's a lot of things the Predator/SuperChips tuners (and needless to say HPP3) can't load into the custom program. Sounds like all they do in their custom tuning is fix the a/f ratio.

Kinda like sending in those mail-in rebates. They depend on people not wanting to take the time to return it due to their dissatisfaction, combined with a veiled effort to make good on their performance increases. They tell you you need to spend more money on the dyno to get the A/F ratio checked, then ship it back to them. We all know how well mail-order tuning works (with the exception of PCMSforLess...his seem excellent on the first try).
Old 07-16-2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by mr_muff
i thought you could get custom tunes with the predetor?
You can. Over the internet. I already did it and it's pretty simple. And you don't have to send your programmer back.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by JimMueller
From what I understand, you send your handheld tuner back to the manufacturer, along with information gathered from a dyno for them to load a custom tune into the unit, then they return it to you. So, you don't lose the ability to drive your car since you're not actually sending them PCM.

There's a lot of things the Predator/SuperChips tuners (and needless to say HPP3) can't load into the custom program. Sounds like all they do in their custom tuning is fix the a/f ratio.

Kinda like sending in those mail-in rebates. They depend on people not wanting to take the time to return it due to their dissatisfaction, combined with a veiled effort to make good on their performance increases. They tell you you need to spend more money on the dyno to get the A/F ratio checked, then ship it back to them. We all know how well mail-order tuning works (with the exception of PCMSforLess...his seem excellent on the first try).
You shouldn't state what you think you know. Mostly because almost everything that you have stated is wrong.
You don't have to send the programmer in.
You save the power program, down load it via a serial cable to your PC, then e-mail it to your dealer. (I suggest www.runninwiththedevil.com ie James) along with your dyno chart and wide band readings or your Autotap log files.
A few days later you get an e-mail with your new custom program and reverse the process.
And anything that can be changed with LS1 edit can be changed with a Predator and custom tuning.
I have no cats due to running a 2 step revlimiter. I had the rear O2s deleted and the COT protection turned off and he found a little bit of torque managment left and deleted it. Does that sound like effort to make good on their performance increases?
And this was done for FREE.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:29 AM

good news, i want one. i thought that is how the predetor worked. didn't know they did it for free though, that is a nice bonus
Old 07-16-2003, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by mr_muff
good news, i want one. i thought that is how the predetor worked. didn't know they did it for free though, that is a nice bonus
The for free is only up to a certain point. Usually anything that it takes to get it working right for your origional combo. When you totally change your combo, like ported heads and/or cam or blower as an example then you'll have to fork over for a custom tune. And don't ask how much. Rates have not been set yet.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:41 AM

Re: SuperChips, an employee posted this message here

BTW the new tuner is designed specifically for stock cars. That means it won't turn off p0300 codes and will not supply the additional tuning needed for long tubes,cams, etc. Let me talk to some of the engineers to see how difficult it would be to get a custom tune into the tuner for the guys that did volenteer. No promises however, if you've been to the track OR PLAN TO BE AT BLACKS FOR HP NUMBERS and you didn't do better than you have in the past(during similar temperatures) please let me know. Chances are you will need a tune a little more aggressive.
Re: Predator, RWTD (Predator reseller) posted this message here

The only time I will charge for a custom tune is if the vehicle has heads/cam/intake, or nitrous, or supercharger, or turbo. And, that is a one time fee only.

Any other modification to make the Predator tune work for your vehicle will not be charged.
Re: Predator, RWTD (Predator reseller) posted this message here

We are currently working on the O2 sensors and the EGR, AIR, COT, Multiple Cylinder Misfires, etc. The engineers are integrating the hex to templates in the Revolution software that DiabloSport is continually developing, and that they use to create files and tune all the GM vehicles in their application list, as well as all new '03 Cobras. Soon, Revolution will work with all Fords and all GM's from approx. '99 and up. DiabloSport will then work on the later years when they finish those model year codes.

Only dealers, who have some tuning experience, may flash custom tunes. Diablosport feels it is safer at this time, and allows them to better understand, by line of communication with the dealers, what is working best for a given combination, in a certain situation. This allows the customer to get what is going to work best for him and his vehicle.

In terms of the ability for the end-user to put a file on the Predator, whether it is a custom tune or just an update, that will come, when the time is right, and the R&D is done, but in terms of and end-user being able to log into a bbs and randomly pick and choose files, no. The end-user will always need to go through their dealer in order to effectively communicate which file they will need and receive from that dealer. I do not know of any company that allows anyone to access tunes, for download, with out any regard for if they understand what they really need.
I'm out of time right now, but I'd merely suggest using the search function to find the details. I'm not biased against any one of them (including LS1-Edit). Each has their own inadequacies. Just pick the solution whose problems will least effect you.

Quick Reply: superchip's microtuner... BS?