LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Thinking About An LT1 vs. LS1 Shootout For GMHTP

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:09 AM

Thinking About An LT1 vs. LS1 Shootout For GMHTP

After seeing how well our LT1 bolt-on shootout went this summer, I'm seriously thinking about doing an LT1 versus LS1 shootout.

This would be by invitation only (like the previous story) and would be conducted at Englishtown sometime in the spring or summer of 2003.

I think this would be a "center body mass" hit with GMHTP readers.

In order to maximize the relevance to our readers, it would be strictly for street cars. There would be few rules regarding modifications, but they would be strictly enforced, just as they were for the LT1 shootout. I expect this to be largely an 11-second and 10-second gathering, so don't be afraid to step up.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

We organize the groups in teams: Team LT1 and Team LS1. We select team members based on their best proven prior performance and their ability to travel to New Jersey for the shootout.

Any modification is allowed including stroker motors, nitrous, turbos, blowers, etc.

All cars must produce a current, valid insurance card for their particular vehicle. No "company insurance cards," no "dealer insurance cards", no "temporary" insurance cards. Only insurance cards for that stated vehicle.

All cars must be muffled. Rear exiting tailpipes only. No dump pipes or cutouts. (you can have them, just can't use them). Maximum decibel level in the burn-out is limited to 94 dB. No exceptions. Exceeding this results in immediate disqualification. This is a major limitation enforced by local ordinance and the track, so there is zero tolerance. "Street Legal" race cars need not apply.

All cars must be licensed and have a current vehicle registration in the owner's state of origin.

All vehicles must be driven by the owner. No sub drivers.

All vehicles must have all safety equipment required for their ET in accordance with NHRA rules. Driver credentials and chassis certification will be required below a 10-flat ET--no exceptions. Chances are, you won't pass the sound test anyway, but we're just covering ourselves. Note: you are responsible for knowing what your car requires, so find out in advance and get these things taken care of!

Any tire allowed. Any suspension/chassis modification allowed. Any '93 - present F-body allowed. If you've got some other GM body with an LT1 or LS1, we'll look at it on a case-by-case basis.

If you are interested, send a vehicle photo, tech sheet, contact info and time slip photo copy to: McMullen Argus Publishing, attn.: Johnny Hunkins, Dept. LT1 vs. LS1 Shootout, 299 Market St., Saddle Brook, NJ 07663.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:20 AM

That sounds like a great idea.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:05 PM

So does this basically mean as long as its Tagged and insured that it could qualify? Would there be classes for power adders and such? Strokers allowed? Any drivetrain combo of trans/rear? Thanks for some more detail.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:30 PM

Interesting...Should I let the beast loose? (rubs hands together)

Seth
Old 10-23-2002, 02:55 PM

Sounds good!
Old 10-23-2002, 06:33 PM

I would buy that issue.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:59 PM

When's the deadline? I have a pile of parts sitting in the garage for this winter, and I expect the car to be noticeably faster by spring. If I gave you the list now, it wouldn't be accurate in a few months(or weeks for that matter).

What's the word?
Old 10-24-2002, 10:23 AM

Johnny, don't forget to hit LS1Tech, the events forum, if you want the FASTEST LS1 big motor cars to turn out.

I am still running a 4L60E, and a locker not a spool, so I consider my car to be a true street car.

I just dynoed 471rwhp and 505rwtq so I expect to run quite a bit faster now.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:09 PM

Johnny, if the weather holds, I'll be there.

Mikey
Old 10-24-2002, 07:54 PM

Great idea Johnny and it sounds like a lot of fun. I'd definitely be interested in going to an event like this but 10-11 sec. F-Bodies are just a little out of my league.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:35 AM

For simplicity reasons, please refer to the same thread posted on the LT1 Tech forum. This will keep me from having to post the same responses in two places.

If anyone wants to spread the word at other boards, please have them come over to CZ28.com if interested.

Just offhand, I'd say the LT1 guys appear to be somewhat more interested in this type of thing. No?
Old 10-25-2002, 11:43 AM

Awesome....Vettes and F-bodies, trucks, too?

Why not try to schedule it for nice weather?
Old 10-25-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by tomslawsky
Awesome....Vettes and F-bodies, trucks, too?

Why not try to schedule it for nice weather?
Ask him in the LT1Tech forum so he doesnt have to post here too