LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Went to track for the 2nd time... beat a ZO6!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 01:07 PM

Red face Went to track for the 2nd time... beat a ZO6!

Well, I finally made it to the track again..
not a good night as there were hundreds of cars..

Air was ok but not great.. a little too humid but at least it was cool.

I got in 5 runs.. One bone stock and 4 with Nittos.. The nittos were brand new and the first two runs showed that... the last two still showed that I still dont know how to launch with them. heheh

I raced a Maxima, Acura, a highly modded S2000, and a Z06.
(gtech reading are in quotes)
Maxima, my first race, wasnt even a race.. hehe that was kewl as I was still hot from the hour drive.. 13.93/105.31(13.89/109.6)

Acura was next with my first run on Nittos.. I had them at 23psi
2.8 60' should help you with the mental on that one.. heheh sad isnt the word for it! hehe
I spun, and spun.. 3 rd gear finally got me some traction..
15.02/102.81(14.93/107.3) Whats sad is that I still won by a lot!

For my 3rd run of the night I went against an S2000 that has everything except and intercooler on it.. (so the owner claims)
He told me that I didnt want to race his car cause its faster than mine... After he told me about his 2 other engines that failed and how AEM was tuning his car I asked if he wanted to race me he said ok.. Here I decided to go down to 20psi.. where It stayed for the night.
2.1 60' time.. so I still was not using the nittos correctly.
13.57/105.36 and I left him far far back.. he was in the high 14's would be my guess.. He said that was his worst run of the night.. well it was my best run of the night..

4th run.. I had been talking to a couple with a ZO6.. they have the varioram(?) intake on it.. thats it.. both the husband and wife took turns driving it.. I asked the wife (was her turn) if she wanted to race.. we raced...
2.1 60' so i still have no clue with the tires..
13.45/106.04(13.54/108.9)
I won the race by crossing the lines first but the ZO6 ran a 13.3/110!

5th run. Grudge match.. the husband had to avenge his wifes defeat..
This time I even took the right lane as the guys wife was stating that she hit a slick spot..
2.0 60' - getting there but not even where I should be on these tires.
13.40/105.52(13.59/107.7) I lost.. hehe I was winning to the 60' mark.. and just as I hit 2nd I still had the lead.. but once he hit 2nd, he took off like a slingshot! He litterally jumped out like 2+ from 2-3 and kept pulling away.. That was very kewl to watch..
He ended up running a 12.6! damn fast cars.. he was on stock tires.. Just had the intake..

That was the end of my racing night.. Too many cars=not enough runs.. I will try again this sunday..

I need to learn how to burn out properly on the nittos.. So dont think just cause you got tire, that its all you need.. knowledge is very important. I am going to find a deserted road soon and practice on my nittos getting a decent burn.. My problem was too much brake then too little brake.. and not enough tire in the water box..
My ideal procedure would be to go around the water box, straighten out, pull back into the water box, ease forward out of the water then do a small burn of about 3-5 sec of smoke.. then line up and stage..

I still need to take more time as well since I have no idea what I was launching at.. was something like 2K+ but am not sure.

So there ya have it.. In one night I demostrated that tire alone is nada unless you know how to use it and that driver is key.. Cause thats how I beat a Z06! heheh

hope this info helps some of yall!
Old 03-08-2003, 01:17 PM

Were you at HRP last night?? If so what were you drivin? I was there in the silver WS6. I only got 4 runs in, best was a 12.688... with a nice 1.756 60 foot on the ET streets Did u see the guy wipe out at the finish line? That was freaky, hope he's ok. The air did suck though, especially closer to when the track was almost closed, it was foggy as hell! You couldn't even see the cars at the end of the track! I checked the humidity after I got home and it was 100% lol.

Z06 ran a 12.6 too eh? I coulda taken em

Last edited by GrdLockV6; 03-08-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:27 PM

Yeah, that drive home last night was freaky.. Hella foggy!
I was in a black Z28.. I was racing the Blue Z06.. I think I saw your car.. as I kept looking for F-bods to line up with.. but they were always in other lines..

I was in line waiting when I heard about the crash... Sad that it happens but rarely does anyone get hurt..

Just hope I can get out there Sunday.. I need some more runs.. heheh

email me sometime.. maybe we meet up there sometime.. I'll race ya.. I dont mind losing.. hehe just dont pich a fit when my slower time beat ya cause of driver error! hehehhehehhehhe j/k!
Old 03-08-2003, 01:31 PM

I was actually gonna try and make it up there Sunday as well to get more runs on the ET Streets before I hafta give em back to their owner I just gotta make sure I have someone else to come up there w/ me so I can put my tires in their car, wouldn't want someone jackin em. Most people there I doubt would do it, but hey, can't be too careful.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:57 PM

yeah, I had my father come up there.. he brought his truck..
no one messed with the tires.. I had 2 sets in the bed of his truck and a nice jack..
but I know what you mean...
I am looking for a station wagon since they can be all locked up easily in there...
hehe
Old 03-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Banned

sounds like afun night.....those were pretty cool runs, for just having nittos
Old 03-09-2003, 01:45 PM

You beat the Z06 and then the Z06 spanked you in return =)

lol... thats like me saying I beat a Viper... lol... And then the driver actually trying and spanking me =)

I bet it was still cool. I actuall have raced a Viper, it was dark, so I had no damn clue what kind/year/model - but out of six runs on the highway, I to that huge american engine... It was fun as hell, and I didnt think I'd have a chance, but as fast as I pull away from a weak *** Civic, he was doing that to me =)
Old 03-10-2003, 08:08 PM

Try this next time: When in the water box, spin the tires just for a split sec. to get them wet, then pull out and do at least 15 sec of burnout to get the tires really hot. I run those tires on my '69 Mustang and the hotter they are, the better they hook. Also, I rev my motor to the redline to get them spinning fast ( actually I shift into 2nd gear because I have an auto).
Good luck
Old 03-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Banned

im preetu sure this belongs in the TRACK KILL STORIES SECTION.....so will someone please move it there
Old 03-10-2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
im preetu sure this belongs in the TRACK KILL STORIES SECTION.....so will someone please move it there
actually its "Tire tech"... on an LS1 no less...
Old 03-10-2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by 69redmach1
Try this next time: When in the water box, spin the tires just for a split sec. to get them wet, then pull out and do at least 15 sec of burnout to get the tires really hot. I run those tires on my '69 Mustang and the hotter they are, the better they hook. Also, I rev my motor to the redline to get them spinning fast ( actually I shift into 2nd gear because I have an auto).
Good luck
Well, traction initially isnt the problem.. Its that I have to learn at what RPM to launch, what to do with the clutch (either let it out completly{dump}, or to let it out partially and ride it out{burn some}).. thats the dilemna...

I still havent really burned them as the car shoots forward.. Even tried the heel toe burn out and it still get too much traction or too much brake (makes the car go sideways)..

But the tires are sticky enough... Just have to see what will work best for a launch off the line.. and many people forget that its bone stock so it needs to be a high enough rpm that the car goes forward but not so high that it bogs after the clutch is out..

Still learning as I feel thats the only way to figure this out properly.. I may even get some water in a bucket and practice on a lonely strip of road some day...
Old 03-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Banned

2% tire tech section
98% track kill section