LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What to do with $300

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 04:55 PM

Post What to do with $300

I was thinking either 4.10 gears(probably not), eibach springs, or maybe a hyertech PP3... I already have a lid, and a magnaflow muffler, now a full cat back would be nice, but i cant decide on which one... Help!

Alen

------------------
2002 Red M6 T/A...
Stock except for the magnaflow muffler, but not for long!!!
Old 07-31-2002, 07:13 PM

After the lid, probably the cheapest significant horsepower booster on an LS1 might be an ASP crank pulley.

Then start saving for some long tube headers and a decent exaust. FLPs and TTS headers come highly recommended but are expensive. MACs are apparently great bargain headers from what I read. Corsa and Borla exuasts are also commonly recommended, but there are certainly cheaper ones out there as well as other alternatives.

If you don't want to go that route (headers), maybe look at an SLP or G2 Ypipe for the exaust.

Plus do all the free mods from over at www.installuniversity.com, especially the one where you sut out the vertical pillar from the MAF, and the one where you cut out the bottom of the tray under the filter (plus cut the plastic cover over the radiator/powersteering cooler, for the cheap free ram air mod). Those 3 mods together netted me a nice jump in power above 3000rpms, very very noticable.

have fun

------------------
'02 Z28 : MTI lid, TTS LTs, Corsa, ASP, Pro5.0 w/Lou's ShortStick, Koni & Bilstein, 35mm ST swaybar, SS wheels, SLP SFCs, disabled DRLs, *all* the free mods! :NEXT: ported TB?, NAAAAWZ?? 11"x17" rear wheels???
Old 07-31-2002, 07:18 PM

Another thing that will change the personality of your car, and improve your driving enjoyment, is a replacement shifter. The stock shifter leaves alot to be desired, and a new shifter is cheap insurance for the engine. Missed 3rd gear shifts can blow your engine!

I bought Pro5.0 and am extremely happy with it. Others go Hurst or B&M. I also went with a "short stick" (Lou's Short Stick) to shorten and lower the throws. I REALLY REALLY like the short stick, whatever shifter you buy, at least check out the short stick options for it, once you get one installed and drive it for a bit you will thank me!

------------------
'02 Z28 : MTI lid, TTS LTs, Corsa, ASP, Pro5.0 w/Lou's ShortStick, Koni & Bilstein, 35mm ST swaybar, SS wheels, SLP SFCs, disabled DRLs, *all* the free mods! :NEXT: ported TB?, NAAAAWZ?? 11"x17" rear wheels???
Old 07-31-2002, 07:20 PM

FYI - if you're looking into springs, check out our DMS springs. We have them on special for $155 + shipping. So far everyone loves them. Gone through 2-3 GPs already. Email if you want additional details

Stay away from the HPP3 unless your doing gears. Besides both gears and a Hypertech would put you over your $300 limit. I'd say go with SFCs. You'll want to tighten up your chasis..believe me!

------------------
Eric Cuaresma - CamaroZ28.com Sponsor!
President/Co-owner of Dynamic Motorsports, LLC (DMS)
"Leaving the competition behind..."

Email: eric@dynamicmotorsports.com

- A performance company by performance enthusiasts FOR performance enthusiasts!

WE WORK TOWARDS HELPING YOU, NOT TOWARDS MAKING MONEY!
Old 08-01-2002, 09:03 AM

Hooker catback (~275$ shipped) or subframe connectors & strut tower brace (<300$ for both)...
good luck!
Shane

------------------
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic WS6 T/A MN6-PICS-

Mods: Whisper Lid/Whisper MAF ends/MAFT(+10/-4)/FLP headers/Hooker catback/BMR STB
Looks: Custom polished ROH Snypers
Other: Redline/K&N filter/NGK TR55s/MSD wires/Potenza RE730s/Zaino
99 Pewter/Red 'Mecham' T/A MN6 - SOLD