LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is $1800 a good price for a complete rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 09:49 PM

is $1800 a good price for a complete rebuild?

need some advice please.....

the 1995 Z28 I purchased a few weeks ago needs a rebuild (rod knocking and generally poor maintenance)

I have a friend the races dirt track cars and has a place that does his racing motors for him. He is getting ready to send off 2 of his racing motors for a rebuild (they cost about 20-25 grand per rebuild) and asked them how much to rebuild HIS lt1 at the same time. So they are giving him a good deal (I think) of 1800 to completely rebuild my lt1. Top and bottom end with all new stuff. Everything mic'd and taken care of. I am not totally sure if that is a good price but sounds pretty good to me and the shop is very well known for their machine work and rebuilds around here. They think the lt1 is for one of his personal cars. He owns several Z28's. 2 first gen's and a 4th gen. So I am sure the price quoted would have been more if they knew the engine was mine. I am just wondering if this is a good deal or not? Total is gonna run me around 2500 but that includes pulling the engine, rebuild, complete flushing of radiator, servicing the tranny, new oxygen sensors, and reinstalling the engine into the car. Total turnaround will be about 10-14 days from the time the car is dropped off to the time I get it back. So far does this still sound reasonable? I have to move on this quickly because the racing engines have to be sent off by the end of the week for rebuild. Just wanted to be sure this was a decent deal or not. Thanks for any input.

Eddie
Old 10-19-2003, 10:09 PM

are they assembling it too or just doing the work and handing it back in boxes. If they are assembling it too i would question the quality of the parts involved for that price. I have 1800 in my short block and i had to assemble it.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:14 PM

It will all be quality parts. They think the engine belongs to the same guy with the racing shop. They have been doing business together for many years and he has rebuilt several for his personal cars before. My friend spends over 100 grand on engines every year with this guy. I am just totally new to this but it sounded like a good deal to me. Just wanted some input since this has to be done quick in order for my engine to be ready to ship when his racing engines are. To answer you questions about it being assembled......the 2500 is for everything. I can drop the car off and in a couple of weeks pick it up and drive it home. This is the price for everything.

Eddie