LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

$400 maybe a little more, WHAT TO GET FOR MOST HP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 02:35 AM

$400 maybe a little more, WHAT TO GET FOR MOST HP?

This Christmas I will probably be able to get some things for my car from the parents. I can spend in the neighborhood of $400, maybe more depending on what happens for my bday in January. What things should I get for my car that will get me the most HP increase? I was considering a CAI, and Electric Cutout. But I dont really know much about other items that may help me out more like a new catback exhaust system...but cutout would do me just fine for when I want to open it up right? I would probably go with the Hooker exhaust setup because one day when i get 515 bucks i'll get those Long Tube headers. If i could possibly talk them into just gettin me the headers, i am sure that after the bday i could get an electric cutout also....I don't know really what I should do. Any suggestions would be GREATLY apreciated.

Thanks!

-Ryan

P.S. Plus I think if i do those i'll do all the free mods I can do over break that we can do to these cars. Anyone know of a good link for the free mods please let me know.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:44 AM

4:10 gears for that M6
Old 11-18-2003, 02:49 AM

asdf

I am not positive on all the gears that the camaros have, but a guy who looked at my car, on the side sticker on the drivers door told me I have the good gears, 373's???? that came on these. He told me some new gears would be good though.

How much of a performance increase would that be, and how much would that cost for install/parts? I may be able to install it with a friend though, not sure.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:50 AM

Ok, first of all, welcome to the world of Fbodies.

Now, mods, i see that you have nothing but stero done on there.

The question is, who is going to be doing the installs?

sorry to burst your bubble, but long tube headers are not going to run $500, well, they could, but also you will need a y pipe fabed, um, gaskets, good header bolts. and what about install? so figure $800 to $1000.

You can get Shortie headers with y-pipe for under $500.

First mods shoudl be basics like CAI, and Catback. The CAI you can save money on and build it yourself, or buy used from the board, nice paying $100 instead of $200, or under $50 with filter if you build it yourself, plenty of write ups.

Catback, you can get a pretty good one, Hooker Catback, lots of people have them, very good price, $299 seems the be the going rate, can be found less at Jegs, but contact Tbyrne, a sponsor here and he can match prices, or so he says, if he can, great, buy from him and support a vendor from the board, and Tbyrne is great to deal with.

And then install, so ok.....

For around $400, buy the Hooker Catback, and build your own CAI.

a Quick easy .5 off your 1/4 mile time.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:52 AM

Fbodies stock came with 2.73 Auto, 3.42 manual. I dont think 3.73 were ever an option. 4.10's would be nice for your m6, but not as first mod, plus, figure in install price, and you are over budget.

But i guess another good mod, is to change all the fluids, filters, plugs, wires. since you dotn know this car.

Also, make sure nothing is there that needs to be fixed now on the car, before starting to mod it. Are you going to be doing the installs yourself or paying someone?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:56 AM

I have a buddy who can install the headers for me. He has the same one's and has done the install on 3 camaro's already, with these particular headers. So a CAI/Catback exhaust would be your suggestion. I do not want the shorty headers btw. Thats a lot of time in the 1/4 for it to take off. So i'd deffinitely be in the mid 13's with these mods. What about that 160* thermostat that I see everyone gets? How much for one of those, and what exactly would that do for me?

Aeromaks- All the fluids have been changed, and filters. I know that I havent changed plugs/wires yet though. Would that be a very important thing to do?

About the installs...if it doesnt need welded or anything, which most exhaust componets do...i'll have to go somewhere. But if it is just bolt on accessories I have a good buddy who can help me out with those installs...headers/cai/thermostat/wires...ect.

P.S. Here are the Hooker LT's for $510

http://www.fbodycentral.com/catalog/...roducts_id=174
Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 AM

I would say depends on the mileage, I would do it, along with everyone else here would.

As far as 1/4 mile time, depends on your driving. and weather conditions.

the 160 thermo is a little mod that most people do, makes fans come on a bit sooner, well, keeps coolant a bit cooler. its simple, so might as well do it. but yes, before headers, do cai, and catback.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:01 AM

correct, you found headers for $510, but still need the y-pipe made, or bought. btw, 02 sensor extendors, =) better gaskets, and header bolts.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:30 AM

Get a CAI, used is fine. ~$150 Then get a cutout. Even an electric cutout is cheaper than a catback, more fun too. ~$200 I'm happy with my setup.

Last edited by stevil; 11-18-2003 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:19 AM

well if you buy the headers, you dont actually just buy the headers. youll need:

the headers $510
exhaust manifold gaskets $30
collector gaskets $15
header bolts $20
o2 sensor extenders $20 or do yourself
8.5mm spark plug wires $80
new plugs $20
plug insulating tubes $30
3" y-pipe $300

so that brings your grand total to around $1000. i purchased a used set of hookers off of here with 3" mufflex y-pipe for $400 shipped if that gives you any idea what kind of money you can save by buying used.

start off with a CAI, then an SLP Loudmouth exhaust (and punch out your cat while youre down there), then get your headers, then get a 4.10 gear
Old 11-18-2003, 08:38 AM

I did my headers for $500. I ended up buying used SLP 1 3/4 shorties for $250, and the rest went into supporting stuff. Here is a list of everything I needed:

Headers $250.00 SLP Private sale
Oxygen Sensors (2) $38.16 (Dal Sabaugh)
Anti-sieze $2.99 Autozone
Ultra Copper $3.99 Autozone
Header gaskets $15.95 Felpro 1406 from Summit
Header Bolts $15.95 ARP-400-1101 from Summit
Wire looms/wires $99.99 Thunder Racing (OVC)
spark plugs (8) $1.59 Bosch Platinums from Advance Auto
PB Blaster $3.99 Autozone

Total = $504.87 (counting $22.97 tax/shipping for everything)
Old 11-18-2003, 09:11 AM

Like stevil said, if you go for CAI and catback, just skip the catback and get a cutout. The cutout will only cost around $50 total (with install), and you can get an electric switch for around $130. If I had to do it again, I would have saved the money I threw away on a catback and just got the cutout. But don't get me wrong, catbacks ARE good mods, but I never close the cutout, so having anything after the cutout is pointless anyways.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:15 AM

You sound like you got it right. A used CAI would be fine and a new electric cut-out. Definately a good choice!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:43 AM

Screw all that. Buy a Hot Cam kit (or even better a CC306 with Harlan Rockers, all about the same price), they go used for $400. Pick-up some used hardened pushrods (since it's an M6) for insurance. The kit comes with everything else you need (valve stem seals, springs, seats, etc...) except an LT4 Knock Module which can be picked up for $27.

It's over kill now, but later when you get a little money here and there for headers, TB, MSD-6A, etc... the gains you receive in power will be more than on a stock engine and all that more rewarding.

Do a cam while you have the money, you won't regret it. It was my best mod with the stall coming in a close second (which you don't need since it's an M6).
Old 11-18-2003, 10:51 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention you would want to upgrade your timing chain. This will add cost.

LT4/LT1 Heavy Duty is like over $200.

OR the better way is to get a Mezerie Electric Water Pump. Then you can run a heavy duty Cloyes chain that is only $80.

Quick Reply: $400 maybe a little more, WHAT TO GET FOR MOST HP?