LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

0 to 60????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM

0 to 60????

I have a 97z28 6-speed with 127,000 miles I was wondering if as the miles go up and the engine gets worn out if the performance such as 0 to 60 are affected? In other words will a used z28 with 127,000 miles still run a 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds or would it be slower?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 PM

Re: 0 to 60????

Originally Posted by dirtgar
I have a 97z28 6-speed with 127,000 miles I was wondering if as the miles go up and the engine gets worn out if the performance such as 0 to 60 are affected? In other words will a used z28 with 127,000 miles still run a 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds or would it be slower?
Usually the times go down after the car is nicely broken in. If the engine is actually worn and making less power it will, of course, be slower.

Want to get an idea of the health of your engine? Do a compression test....
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

bw_hunter is right. Most engines perform a bit better after the first 5k miles or so than when brand new. This is generally attributed to the rings seating. At 127k, your rings are probably a bit tired, which means you'll get some blowby -- that hurts performance, and a compression test will confirm it as the case.

Other things to check are the usual maintenance items: change the air filter, change the oil, change the spark plugs. Make sure the air intake and MAF screen aren't clogged with leaves/etc. Additionally, the fuel pump or injectors could be wearing out, as could the valve springs. If any of those things are particularly bad, the PCM should log a DTC and enable the Service Engine Soon light.

I see you're in Wyoming. Wikipedia says the elevation there is over 6000ft. Higher elevations have lower oxygen density in the air, and that makes cars slower as well. Given that, your car is almost certainly not capable of a 5.5 second 0-60 run, unless you drive somewhere closer to sea level. Of course, this has nothing to do with the age of or mileage on the car.

Finally, at 127k any number of sensors could be going bad. Knock sensor, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, IAT sensor, etc. Depending on exactly how they go bad, the sympoms vary. Usually these are accompanied by the SES light and a DTC to help figure it out.

Finally, after 127,000 miles, the car is certainly not running on the original tires. The replacement tires might be better or worse than the originals, and that will have some effect on 0-60 times, even if the engine is performing perfectly.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM

I can see how the variables are numerous, I wonder what would be a good way to test my 0 to 60, I know that for I phones there is an app that can track a cars o to 60 times. Thanks guys for the info!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Not sure of the accuracy of the iPhone app..it is pretty cheap and probably worth only what you pay for it.

A friend of mine had a GTech PRO SS in the Corvette that I ended up buying. It was accurate in the quarter mile to within .02s of the timing equipment at the track at both the 1/8th mile and the 1/4 mile. Of course, it's way more expensive that the iPhone app at $200 but it does way more than just 0 to 60time....including g-force, horsepower calculations, 1/4mile, etc. It's a cool toy.

Unfortuanately, he kept the GTech device to stick in his new car....a 2008 ZO6 with 598 rear wheel horsepower.

Either way, what does 0-60 mean anyway. It's not how quick you go..it's how bad you beat the other guy..chuckle
Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Doesn't any body use a Stop Watch anymore! http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...Category_Code=
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
Not sure of the accuracy of the iPhone app..it is pretty cheap and probably worth only what you pay for it.

A friend of mine had a GTech PRO SS in the Corvette that I ended up buying. It was accurate in the quarter mile to within .02s of the timing equipment at the track at both the 1/8th mile and the 1/4 mile. Of course, it's way more expensive that the iPhone app at $200 but it does way more than just 0 to 60time....including g-force, horsepower calculations, 1/4mile, etc. It's a cool toy.

Unfortuanately, he kept the GTech device to stick in his new car....a 2008 ZO6 with 598 rear wheel horsepower.

Either way, what does 0-60 mean anyway. It's not how quick you go..it's how bad you beat the other guy..chuckle
The cost of the GTech device is for hardware and software; it doesn't make sense to compare it to the software only on the iPhone side. Also, keep in mind that the iPhone app will sell many orders of magnitude more units than the GTech device, and is priced accordingly.

Using an iPhone app might not be quite as accurate as a GTech, but it's not going to be off by much.

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Doesn't any body use a Stop Watch anymore! http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...Category_Code=
That's about the least accurate way you could possibly do it.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The cost of the GTech device is for hardware and software; it doesn't make sense to compare it to the software only on the iPhone side. Also, keep in mind that the iPhone app will sell many orders of magnitude more units than the GTech device, and is priced accordingly.

Using an iPhone app might not be quite as accurate as a GTech, but it's not going to be off by much.

Have you ever owned a GTech?? I have. And I seriously doubt it's any better then a stop watch.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

I was simply stating that I knew only that the GTech was accurate and that I didn't know how accurate the iPhone app is. I was not comparing the technology of one Vs the other. However, "not going to be off by much" isn't much of a consolation on something that takes only 5 seconds to measure. What if it's off by a second?

I disagree with you on the stopwatch. They will measure elapsed time as accuratly as any other device. The shortfall is when you start and stop it...being manual it's subject to your reaction time.

just opinions...lol
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM

In 5.5s, a second is an awful lot. I was thinking more 10th or 100th of a second, off.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM

In 5.5s, a second is an awful lot. I was thinking more 10th or 100th of a second, off.
Sure, I understand...I just didn't know how accurate the iPhone app is....

I'm going to the track this weekend...I may download the app just to check it out.....
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Most smartphones (And I imagine the iphone), have an app that can connect to bluetooth OBD2 adapters. As long as your speedo is accurate it should be able to give you a very accurate 0-60 time and lots of other information at the same time. A cheap 30 dollar OBD2 from ebay usually works.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by LazyLemming
Most smartphones (And I imagine the iphone), have an app that can connect to bluetooth OBD2 adapters. As long as your speedo is accurate it should be able to give you a very accurate 0-60 time and lots of other information at the same time. A cheap 30 dollar OBD2 from ebay usually works.
Good point but the OP has a '94 which is OBD1....
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I disagree with you on the stopwatch. They will measure elapsed time as accuratly as any other device. The shortfall is when you start and stop it...being manual it's subject to your reaction time.
And that's why I said it's not accurate. It'll give you a perfect representation of the amount of time between when you pushed the buttons, but your button pushes will vary wildly from the actual start and finish time.

Yep, me too.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Good point but the OP has a '94 which is OBD1....
Oh damn. Wasn't paying attention to that when I posted.