LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1.7rr or headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 05:47 PM

1.7rr or headers?

I'm gonna be doing one or the other within the next month unless something else breaks on my car. The headers that i'm going with are the as&m headers and i'm gonna do a single cat conversion. I know the 1.7rr install will be cheaper and easier to do. It will probably show about the same amount of power to the wheels also. What do you think i should do first?
Old 10-29-2003, 06:09 PM

drewstealth NICE dyno numbers. Honestly, if I was in your shoes I would do all the basic bolt-ons to my car before attacking the internals. Besides, IF I am not mistaken you will get more power out of headers anyway, and the car will sound better. Just my .02, some people mite think diffrently then me Good luck.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:15 PM

The headers and 1.7's aren't directly comparable. You can't say each one will give you x hp/tq, so doing either get you what you're looking for. A valvetrain that wants to breath more will need the supporting roles of the induction and exhaust to be up to the task, right? So.. I'd say get the headers, then the valvetrain upgrades.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:19 PM

I'd say get the headers too if you have the money. I'm doing 1.7 RRs soon, but it's only because it provides a nice gain for less than headers + y pipe + all the other crap you need.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:08 PM

Well i wanted to save up and get headers. But for less money i can get the 1.7rr's and a cutout. But i guess your right about the breathing part. I will probably save up for the headers. NVetro your dyno #'s look good. But you have a lot more torque then i do. What do you think got you that? Did the tuneing seem to help any?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:35 PM

Do the headers first. It makes no sense to bring more air into the equation if you can't efficiently dispatch the gasses with the current setup.

Plus, with the headers, the rocker gain will be better.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:46 PM

We know that the stock exhaust manifolds are a restriction and that by going with tubes we can lessen that restriction and realize gains.

What I haven't seen to date is the benefit of going with 1.7RRs compared to 1.6RRs on the stock cam, so for those of you who have empirical evidence of the respective gains, please share with the rest of us.

Going with a particular ratio w/ a cam with a particular profile obviously changes the lift numbers as well as the amount of duration and I would assume that the resultant lifts and durations would be part of the planned performance. But just throwing on different ratio RRs with any cam might not prove to be worth the cost/effort and perhaps may even be impractical given the results.JMHO
Old 10-30-2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by BUBBA
We know that the stock exhaust manifolds are a restriction and that by going with tubes we can lessen that restriction and realize gains.

What I haven't seen to date is the benefit of going with 1.7RRs compared to 1.6RRs on the stock cam, so for those of you who have empirical evidence of the respective gains, please share with the rest of us.

Going with a particular ratio w/ a cam with a particular profile obviously changes the lift numbers as well as the amount of duration and I would assume that the resultant lifts and durations would be part of the planned performance. But just throwing on different ratio RRs with any cam might not prove to be worth the cost/effort and perhaps may even be impractical given the results.JMHO
Agreed. However, the popularity of the 1.7 rocker is so new, as is the rocker aparrently, that there's going to be VERY few people out there. Give it some time to work it's way around and for a few people (myself included) to try them out with any particular combo. Then we'll see about the more "conclusive" possibility of a recognized gain from the 1.7's.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:57 PM

dumb question, do the rr hit the stock valve covers?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:25 PM

Stockers don't, 1.6 or 1.7 require clearancing of the valve cover support braces on the inside in most cases.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:34 PM

yeah, i meant the 1.7:1 RR. thanks for the info
Old 10-31-2003, 10:34 PM

to everyone that posted in this thread. if you havent seen it, do a search and youll find my thread about my 1.7 rocker install including everything i used with part#'s. on a stock cam these will not make contact with the valve covers and...here is the proof of an increase of 15 rhp on a lt4 hot cam lt1 in a vette on a dyno......vette dyno results
Old 11-01-2003, 06:27 AM

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that was with ported heads too on the vette.

Also, for MattysTA, have you hit a dyno or been to a track yet?? I've got everything ordered but the rockers, just didn't have time yesterday to order them. Soon hopefully.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that was with ported heads too on the vette.

Also, for MattysTA, have you hit a dyno or been to a track yet?? I've got everything ordered but the rockers, just didn't have time yesterday to order them. Soon hopefully.
i havent hit a dyno or went to the track yet for 2 reasons. 1 i am at work more than im home. and 2. i wouldnt go anyways because with the trans now slipping as bad as it has become i dont think i would make it home without a flatbed.... what i did do was use my tazzo like i posted in my thread. it was on the same road with the same weather conditions and the trans was still slipping just not as bad at the time and shaved off 4 tenths before and after. a tenth of that would be due to the change from a 2.2 60ft to a 2.1 60ft. i know its hard to accept that it made a difference, just because i didnt go to the track doesnt mean anything. the only difference between the street and the track is timers and trackbite....... if it didnt do anything then how did sar2k manage to go a best of 11.9 with nothing but boltons and 1.7 rockers.......
Old 11-01-2003, 03:15 PM

What did you run with all your mods now? All i see is the 13.5 but that is before all your other mods.

Quick Reply: 1.7rr or headers?