LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1 more reason to keep the screen on your MAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM

1 more reason to keep the screen on your MAF

I had a few issues and have been working on them, the most recent was picking up knock and being down on power. So I took it out hooked up to my laptop and scanning software. A quick trip around the block recorded some knock, but it didn't make sense. I tried a few full throttle runs to see how much knock there was there, then all the sudden out of nowhere I got some power back, it planted me in my seat, and I lifted out of the throttle...

Here comes the problem, the car kept going full throttle.

I would like to point out I was on busy streets and accelerating quickly with no control, brakes were ineffective and I damn near $hit myself...

Without thinking and trying to slow down I threw it in neutral, and started laying on the brakes, but it then started bouncing off the rev limiter, it bounced off it 4 times before I thought to hit the kill switch. When I finally coasted to a stop, I was not thinking too
clearly and wanterd to see if the car was dead and attempted to start it again, luckily it didn't start. I popped the hood, and saw slack in the throttle cable yet the tb lever was still all the way up and jammed open. I pushed on it and it sprung shut.

I started the car and limped home without giving it much gas. I then manually opened the throttle blade, and slammed the gas petal down and it didn't stick open. I pulled the intake tube off the front of the tb, and the tb looked good.

I played with it for a little while, and came up with nothing so I decided to take it out again. The first time I went full throttle it got stuck again, this time heading for and intersection with traffic, again throwing it to neutral and killing everything, but it still hit the revlimiter 2 or 3 times before I it shutdown. I pushed it back home and didn't touch the tb lever, and started pulling the intake tube away from the front of the tb, and saw something stuck in there, WTF

It looks like the IAT sensor that I had relocated to the airfilter had made it's way up wrapped the wire up in the maf and got wedged into the tb, and it the wires weren't wrapped up in the MAF I would hate to have seen what could have happened

The wire going into the MAF to the left, was going down the blue tube to the filter.

Look what was in the tb

Hope the MAF is OK

I think the KR and loss of power was from the IAT sensor, sitting on the MAF and when I got the sudden burst was when it came off of it.

BTW, what would bouncing off the rev limiter like that possibly do? Could I have hurt something? I guess I need to make it more secure in the filter area next time. But it has been down in the filter for 3+ years and has never come up like that. I guess since the most recent mods the motor is now pulling in more air or something...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:10 PM

Re: 1 more reason to keep the screen on your MAF

Not purposefully to be off subject, but what kind of elbow is that? I like it.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

It COULD have hurt a bunch. Get it running right and drive it and keep a good ear out for any strange noises.
It may be OK, then again----....
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 3DFORMULA
Not purposefully to be off subject, but what kind of elbow is that? I like it.
Fernco 3" 90 plumbing fitting found and any lowes or home depot... BTW much cheeper then the 1LE or any other elbow out there
Old 07-30-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
It COULD have hurt a bunch. Get it running right and drive it and keep a good ear out for any strange noises.
It may be OK, then again----....
I have run it a few times not more then just idleing and a few throttle romps and have not heard anything out of the ordinary. On another board someone said it is possible to bend a valve if it bounces off the rev limiter like that, is that a possibility and would it be audible? I do have a mechanics stethascope (sp?) so I can try to listen for it...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Very possible.
If it is not missing ya don't have a bent valve.
NO NOISES is a good thing.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Lowes huh, I'll be having one tommorrow, thanks.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM

dude!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 PM

Think of it this way ... You can pedal a bike as hard and fast as you can without it hurting your knees.

But pedal as hard and fast as you can when the chain pops ...

Same concept. Its HARD on everything. If its not making any noises, its probably fine to drive. But you can bet your *** it definatly did some excess wear on bearings, valvtrain, etc.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
Think of it this way ... You can pedal a bike as hard and fast as you can without it hurting your knees.

But pedal as hard and fast as you can when the chain pops ...

Same concept. Its HARD on everything. If its not making any noises, its probably fine to drive. But you can bet your *** it definatly did some excess wear on bearings, valvtrain, etc.
Good points, I just hope it lasts through this season though...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
Fernco 3" 90 plumbing fitting found and any lowes or home depot... BTW much cheeper then the 1LE or any other elbow out there
Yeah, it's great if your relocated IAT and wiring does not get sucked into the engine.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Yeah, it's great if your relocated IAT and wiring does not get sucked into the engine.

I have had it that way for a lot of years now and this was the first time that happened... But this really can't be blamed on the elbow, unless you mean because I didn't drill it for the IAT, but I wanted it in the filter and moved it before I changed the elbow.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula

I have had it that way for a lot of years now and this was the first time that happened... But this really can't be blamed on the elbow, unless you mean because I didn't drill it for the IAT, but I wanted it in the filter and moved it before I changed the elbow.
Just being the devil's advocate. It's just a warning for people to be careful with what they do.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:05 AM

That's one of the dirtiest MAF's I've seen. Can't be responding correctly.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:58 AM

I've never understood the logic behind relocating the IAT sensor.
"It'll trick the PCM into thinking it's cooler, add more fuel. More fuel= more hp..."

Quick Reply: 1 more reason to keep the screen on your MAF