LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

10's w/Ai 355. Pump gas VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 PM

wow that sounds and runs great,get that launch worked out and you should be mid tens,congrats
Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM

Damn great running car. That thing has some of the most screamingly wicked acoustics I've ever heard too!

I'm working on doing an AI setup of my own here really soon.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it guys. It's nice to get down the track without destroying drivetrain. The car is running an F.A.S.T. Classic bank to bank EFI, and a stock vented opti spark. Race weight is 3320 and I am running a 4.10 gear. My 60's where in the 1.5's, but as you can see in the video it was bogging down pretty hard. I have to do some calculations and figure out a new rear end ratio and launch rpm. I've had the power for awhile with this engine to go mid 10's and high 120's, but have to get the setup dialed in.

Here are my dyno graphs:
SAE
and
STD

Here are my time slips:
timeslips

I got the weight down to 3320 by removing the interior. The car has to go in for a 10 or 12 point cage, and the chassis guy told me it would make his life easier if I brought him the car with no interior. I removed the seats, carpet, center console, door trim, and most of the cabin plastics. I left the seat belts (driver and pass) and installed a cheap summit racing seat. I mounted it by making my own seat bracket. Basically, I took out the easy stuff. I can reinstall the entire interior in about an hour.

It's my street car, so I can't remove a lot of the parts that will really help get the car to transfer weight & get down the track. It still has air bags, full & functioning AC/Heat, ABS, wipers, front & rear bumpers, power windows, all of the glass is stock, stock brakes, stock A-arms, and a stock gas tank. I am more than likely going to replace the upper and lower A-arms, and if I get new brakes I want the sweet road race ones, not the ultra light drag race brakes. I guess the final weight will be around 35-3600 or so after the chrome molly cage and the interior and sound system are reinstalled. I don't think it'll make much difference to add a little weight back. Once I keep it screaming from one end to the other (instead of semi bogging it for the first second or two) I think it'll end up going faster.

I am glad you guys like the sound! The tapes do it no justice, Ive never heard an LT1 like it. When I set up the engine I was using a stock ECU, so Ai set the cam to peak around 6900-7000 (it does). However, the springs are set up to handle more rpm (originally for safety margin). So when I installed the F.A.S.T. I started shifting higher & higher, and the
multiple hits on the rev limiter were 8,000 RPM!! It was only down 20hp (480) at 7500, so I've been trying to shift there. The exhaust is a set of pace setter 1 3/4" headers with my own custom X-pipe exhaust. It has awesome ground clearance, but may be too loud for street use. For the past year I've just used band clamps to quickly swap back to my SLP 2OTL for long distance cruises. It works pretty good, I can swap exhausts in 10 mins or so.

When I started working on this engine I didn't care how long it lasted. It was just something to play with while I got the big engine together. I used some budget components: balanced factory crank, manley sportsman ibeams, decent pistons & rings (Mahle power pack), stock oil system, and a compromise rocker system (comp promags w/stud girdle b/c I already owned the 1.6's). This engine turned out so well with a nice torque curve & drivability that there's rumors it will be built & sold with nicer valvetrain, crank, rods, oiling etc. this year.

The original video I did when I first put it in the car, before sorting
out the tuning issues is still up on street fire:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c...7c00207164.htm

Javier97Z28 & speed_demon24: I am sure we could work something out. I am going back to the Concord area to do some more work in a few weeks. Maby we can meet some where and get you guys tuned up. Send me PM's with your particular set up (CID, Fuel system, vacuum at idle, and the tuning software you are using). If I can help I will.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM

Sound sweeeeeeeet! what a mean machine. Congrats!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 526 SS 96
Javier97Z28 & speed_demon24: I am sure we could work something out. I am going back to the Concord area to do some more work in a few weeks. Maby we can meet some where and get you guys tuned up. Send me PM's with your particular set up (CID, Fuel system, vacuum at idle, and the tuning software you are using). If I can help I will.

Thanks guys!
Sounds great dude, I'll pm you later today or when I get back in from out of town this weekend. Since speed_demon and I live relatively close maybe we can arrange something.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Wow 7500rpms! I want to turn my Lt1 that high so maybe I'll start looking for a Fast setup. I heard those bank to bank systems were easy to tune? I also like the 3,300lb raceweight but you are planning on going lower than 4.10's out back?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by T/A lt1
I heard those bank to bank systems were easy to tune?
It's easy when you know how.

F.A.S.T. is a good system. It's not the best, but for the money it works well. Having the ability to make real time adjustments is a major benefit over the stock ECU. When you are paying hourly for dyno time, the importance of real time adjustment is more to the front of your mind.

There is nothing wrong with a stock ECU. Once it's properly tuned it's reliable and capable of giving you the performance you want, within its limits of course (7K RPM or less, No boost).

I don't know what gear/ tire I am going to run yet. I have to do some calculations, but I am too busy with other projects to really mess with it now. The tracks open in April at the earliest in Ohio, so I have some time before I can get back out.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 PM

Sweet times, congrats!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Would the F.A.S.T. system be safe on an untouched shortblock with some miles on it though? I plan on replacing all the bearings and hopefully don't have to balence the crank but I planned on leaving the stock bottom untouched otherwise. I'm not sure if I trust the stock bottom end spinning at those RPM's.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mtxz453
Would the F.A.S.T. system be safe on an untouched shortblock with some miles on it though? I plan on replacing all the bearings and hopefully don't have to balence the crank but I planned on leaving the stock bottom untouched otherwise. I'm not sure if I trust the stock bottom end spinning at those RPM's.
The stock pistons a HEAVY and will likely cause a rod to fail if you tried to rev high enough to take advantage of FAST. I have seen at least one LT1 piston start cracking around the wrist pin which I think was overrev damage, came out of a M6 car.

Stock crank will take it but use say some Mahle pistons and upgraded rods at least a Scat capscrew rod or better yet Compstar. A 6" rod allows for a lighter piston. The tension on rods at high rpms is pretty wild, lighter is easier on everything.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:56 PM

thats what i figured and i don't have the budget at the molment to get those as well. I'll leave the F.A.S.T. upgrade for the future..
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM

An aftermarket ECU will not change the way a car performs, it only changes the method of communication.
Here is an example of F.A.S.T. Vs. my stock ecu.

My top end (cam, heads, springs, intake) makes it possible, and reasonable, to turn more RPM. The F.A.S.T. lets me operate in this range, so that is the advantage my particular application has over a stock ECU.

I have to admit that I am pretty surprised with the stock opti spark and coil. It will be interesting to see how many times it can see over 7,000 RPM before it fails.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 PM

Have you modified the rotor in the opti? Mine flew apart, now we pop rivet them so the rotor stays together.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM

I was talking to a Stock Eliminator guy yesterday at the track and OEM optis are all he uses. He actually talked bad about the MSD.

He was turning it 7000 and running 6.40s, so I guess it's doing ok!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ken95Z28
Have you modified the rotor in the opti? Mine flew apart, now we pop rivet them so the rotor stays together.

I'de be worried about throwing off the ballance doing that. My msd cap/rotor kit uses a screw though.

Quick Reply: 10's w/Ai 355. Pump gas VIDEO