LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

149$ ebay opti review/teardown with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 PM

I am running a CSR with the hole plugged on the bottom of the pump.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 AM

opti

Well ive been watching this post for awhile. I bought my opti a while ago and went ahead and left positive feedback cause I didnt get to install it right away and it looked nice.

I made it probably a couple hundred miles if that got a loud backfire and started cutting out then died. Well the rotor button had fallen off. Put the rotor back on with locktite put everything back together. Well the car has spark knock now when it shifts into overdrive bad. So I'm down to whether this is the new double roller timing set i installed which checked perfect when degreeing it, or if the opti is causing it. No other changes were made.

Even if the opti isnt causing the spark knock the rotor falling off was a big enough pain in the butt to spend twice the money for a good opti. My buddy put a true delco on his that comes fully assembled and its still running fine with not rotor button mishaps
Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 AM

Just wanted to throw another log on the fire...
Bought an AC Delco opti from thepartsladi...so far, 1000 trouble and code free miles.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:41 AM

I bought my opti off of ebay last summer...I guess I'll see who the seller was but I got it for a good price and it came in a AC Delco box and has the brown front..been working well so far. I'll see who the seller was.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 AM

Installed the opti and waterpump. My old opti was in pretty bad shape, makes some loud clunking noises when I spin it by hand. Also looks like my 5 years old (50K+ mile) waterpump was slowly leaking a little (which would explain why my car has been running a little hotter recently). New water pump, new opti in...car idles nice and smooth again finally, and no stalls or studders...car doesnt get any hotter than 170* like it used to...im so thrilled right now.

Cory
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM

well, what do you think, another bad part form "all ignition" seller on ebay...

it was advertised as an "original GM part 1104032", but did not come in a GM box... I compared it to my original GM distributor, and there were slight, but noticeable differences... They did indeed change the cap to match the color of the GM cap a bit closer, but the original GM one is just a bit transparent, while this one is solid and grainy... the metal casing of the distributor is full of casting **** ups and imperfections... the terminals are brass, wile GM ones are silver... and most importantly, when I spin it by hand, it makes a grinding noise in one spot...

I am sending it back on my lunch break tomorrow and filing a claim with PayPal... cuz this is BS...
Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 PM

Mine is being sent back as well...mine kept throwing a SES light...car would stall/be hard to start sometimes after about 90 trouble free miles.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM

I am glad I did not install it yet, and had to go through changing the damn thing again...

This thread should become a STICKY!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ILYA
They did indeed change the cap to match the color of the GM cap a bit closer, but the original GM one is just a bit transparent, while this one is solid and grainy...
I guess the sorry SOB had the manufacturer change the color to more closely match..it used to be black and I had to threaten turning it over to my buddy at GM for them to persue his azz since he was selling them as GM Delco originals and they obviously were not..had to do that to get my $$ back, otherwise he refused, saying he could only send a replacement.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2QUIK6
I guess the sorry SOB had the manufacturer change the color to more closely match..it used to be black and I had to threaten turning it over to my buddy at GM for them to persue his azz since he was selling them as GM Delco originals and they obviously were not..had to do that to get my $$ back, otherwise he refused, saying he could only send a replacement.
Seems like thats the dagger right there, the guy know these are fakes.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
Seems like thats the dagger right there, the guy know these are fakes.
no freakin doubt !!! check this:

his listing says : "THIS IS ORIGINAL OEM! NOT PANAMA COPIES LIKE THE OTHERS" and "FYI:Only original Optispark Distributors come with SILVER TERMINALS, dont be fooled by inferior copies with brass terminals, We are the lowest price Optispark seller on ebay and our units are original OEM with the silver terminals"... check that tvvat out: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZallQ5fignition

what you get is most definitely a FAKE, that lasts somemhere betweeen 90 and 300 miles, sounds like, from the reports above... and mine makes a grinding noise in one spot even before being used... oh, and another difference I noticed - the numbers are printed in different locations and in different font face... and that's besides the fact that the unit obviously looks cheap when you hold it in your hand, you know...
Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 PM

Things are rubbish. Installed mine and got about 300 miles before it died.. Sadly no one has any optis in stock in Hawaii so got to wait for another one.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 AM
lt1loudmouth07

all ignition Opti's

I have been through 3 opti's with this place the first one well didnt work at all the second i got a code 36 the optical sensor was bad and the 3rd i replaced my front seals on my timing cover and took the opti off and turned the dial and now i can hear screeching inside like crazy i will never buy something like this again off ebay i would of rather went to autozone and bought one.... atleast its down the street and has a LT Warrenty lol. has anyone ever used the autozone one's

Old 04-13-2008, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by lt1loudmouth07
has anyone ever used the autozone one's
It's a crapshoot.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by always faster
There is a number stamp on inside the casing its:10478000
The cap has brass contact instead of standard metal contact.
Everyhing was assembled thight,no slack in the bearing.
[snipped]
The key word here is "brass". On their site, they even say that their
units have silver terminals, which is in contradiction with what people
are saying they are getting in the box. It's obvious they're copycats.
Anyone can stamp numbers into metal - I doubt seriously that would
violate any trademark or copyright.

Once again, the old saying, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is",
holds up.

Quick Reply: 149$ ebay opti review/teardown with pics