LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

149$ ebay opti review/teardown with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JasonK94Z
Not the same ebay id but that ad is identical almost to the all_ignitiona ads. compare to this add ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...QQcmdZViewItem

Appears they're trying to fool people now... or someone selling equally as crappy optis & stole the ad format.. who knows.

Last edited by sabre81; 01-14-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM

I just noticed the ad says "black cap and rotor". So its junk too I'm assuming.

Edit: Damn! That is practically the same ad! Run!!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I'm sorry I ever directed anyone to check out those optis. Someone claimed they were authentic AC/Delco, but I questioned the black cap and, fortunately, never bought one.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
I'm sorry I ever directed anyone to check out those optis. Someone claimed they were authentic AC/Delco, but I questioned the black cap and, fortunately, never bought one.
Don't sweat it.

To everyone - if you come across what appear to be good deals for stuff for our cars, don't let this one situation discourage you from posting them. I can decide for myself and am willing to accept the outcome good or bad.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 PM

I sell the similar cap and rotor kits, and trust me they are good parts. I have sold several hundred without a return. The failures in the optispark on the sensor side. I am working with some companies to hopefully produce a better cheaper opti. When I saw people having mass failures I stayed away from the optis. It looks like there is about a 20-30% failure rate on them. And THEN I saw this fool selling them as Delcos. I called Delco and they didn't seem to care. It's really disheartening. So honest sellers that look after their customs like me get screwed by these asshats and there is nothing we can do besides come to the dark side. Which I won't do.

92-93 Delco = Yellow Bottom
93-97 Delco = Brown Bottom

I know there are alot of arm chair parts sellers here, but trust me.. the cap and rotors and actually good parts. I mean your not talking about an overly complex manufacturing process It's just injection molded. Producing a distributor is alot more complex. We all have to source from eachother to make it happen. Either way... this is a post from someone who has been trying to warn you the whole time. Cap and rotors are ok, the optis are not. So if your freshinging up your opti, grab a cap and rotor kit. If your opti is bad, you gotta buy a GM.

So if anyone ends up on the short end of the stick, please send me your dead opti. Because I want to bring a cheaper opti to everyone, but I can't seem to get enough dead samples to make it happen. The only way I can do it is by selling ****ty parts, which I don't know if I can do.

Last edited by Nickerz; 01-14-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:49 PM

Has anyone looked to see if the All Ignition Opti's use the same optical sensor module as the Delcos? It should be a Mitsubishi device. If it's the same module, I can't see why the reliability would be any worse.

Warren
Old 01-14-2008, 02:52 PM

I'd like to know where the optical sensor is coming from. My 2 yr old opti sh*t the bed and all it needs is a new sensor. Sure would be nice to be able to replace the sensor and save the money.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Warren_Seale
Has anyone looked to see if the All Ignition Opti's use the same optical sensor module as the Delcos? It should be a Mitsubishi device. If it's the same module, I can't see why the reliability would be any worse.

Warren
They don't. I ripped mine apart after I pulled it out of the car. I noticed that no-one was getting anywhere with the all-ignition jackwad so I tore my opti apart to see what was inside. There were NO manufacturing stamps/markings on the sensor. The sensors did not appear to be Mitsubishi and the opti drive is not GM. Matter fact the whole opti looks like an Accel part.

You also have to consider the connection between the optical sensor and the harness plug on the outside of the opti. If the connections are trashy then the results will be the same.

Mine didn't work right from the start, so I'm thing assembly/manufacturing issue.

Last edited by ricehammer; 01-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by KeithO
I ordered one of these a while back and with all of the posts here I got spooked and purchased another one from Thepartsladi.

I don't believe that allignition will accept an unused one for a refund. It seems to me that I could:
1) Try to sell the one I have and be honest - maybe someone is feeling lucky?
2) Replace the rotor and cap but I at that point, I would have psend what I paid Thepartladi anyway
3) Make a wall hanging for my garage

I'm just bummed that I bought this and have no confidence that I will install it and it will work.

For those of you that haven't installed your yet, what are you guys doing with your allignition unit?
1) Don't rip anyone off .
2) The issue is not in the rotor or cap.
3) This is what I did with mine .

And I hate to say it, but mine didn't work from the start. My Z pitched codes (see earlier post) and it felt like it had dropped a TON of power. I swapped in a GM unit, cleared the codes, and the problem was solved.

Last edited by ricehammer; 01-14-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ricehammer
They don't. I ripped mine apart after I pulled it out of the car. I noticed that no-one was getting anywhere with the all-ignition jackwad so I tore my opti apart to see what was inside. There were NO manufacturing stamps/markings on the sensor. The sensors are not Mitsubishi and the opti drive is not GM. Matter fact the whole opti looks like an Accel part.

You also have to consider the connection between the optical sensor and the harness plug on the outside of the opti. If the connections are trashy then the results will be the same.

Mine didn't work right from the start, so I'm thing assembly/manufacturing issue.
Would you send it to me if I paid shipping? Im seriously trying to get a hold of the dead ones to see where all the failures are. The sensors are one thing, but I need to really see where everything is failing before I can have one made properly.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 PM

Great. So I missed this thread apparently, and got a NON-vented OPTI from all-ignition on ebay for $200. Communication was good, shipping was about a week on the dot, packaging was nice...The unit looks like a solid unit and has the brownish/yellowish color on the one side rather than black. I wonder if this is gonna go well or not...It even has the part number etched along the side of the unit. Is there anyway to tell if I have bad unit before installing? What about if I spin the spline a little...

Cory

Last edited by CamaroZBoy; 03-03-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroZBoy
Great. So I missed this thread apparently, and got a NON-vented OPTI from all-ignition on ebay for $200. Communication was good, shipping was about a week on the dot, packaging was nice...The unit looks like a solid unit and has the brownish/yellowish color on the one side rather than black. I wonder if this is gonna go well or not...It even has the part number etched along the side of the unit. Is there anyway to tell if I have bad unit before installing? What about if I spin the spline a little...

Cory
No way to tell. Mine seemed perfect. You'll have to install to find out.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM

I guess that it is brownish/yellowish on the one cover side is a good start though right? From reading the thread, it seemed as though many had issues with the OPTI's that this guy sold that had the black cover.

Cory
Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Mine had the black cover and I have run mine for a year now, no issues and spin her to 7k all the time.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by LALT1
Mine had the black cover and I have run mine for a year now, no issues and spin her to 7k all the time.
Perhaps its just hit or miss....he's got really good feedback on ebay from buyers. I dont know. Does everyone change their water pump when they put the new opti on...maybe that brand new opti is getting showered on by a leaky waterpump!

Cory

Quick Reply: 149$ ebay opti review/teardown with pics