LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1995 350 LT1 Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks For Answering

Originally Posted by Dtimekw
For what it's worth, I just did a set of heads/intake on mine. It is time consuming BUT if you take your time, pay attention to how things come off, you'll be fine. There wasn't anything that was a real pain in the a$$ except the headers. If you decide to do the headgasket job, ask questions on here as you go. Also do searchs for things like sealing head bolts, torque specs/patterns etc..... Personally, I'd put a budget rebuild in the car. There are supporting vendors on here that can build a long block for you but again, that is up to you. I am glad to hear you love the car, I think alot of us on here cuss at our cars but wouldn't give 'em up!! Good luck!
That's good insight you have for me. When I found this site I had a feeling that everyone was going to be helpful. I'm definately going to ask alot of questions as I get deeper and deeper into having this car fixed. My Z28 was really a good car at one time and I'd definately like to keep it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM

Thats Good Advice

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
My bf goodrich g-force sports were less than $500 (maybe even less than $450) shipped, mounted, and balanced.

As for your rebuild, just shop around really. And take my advice here: PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD. That way if the shop ****s you, you can dispute the charges. I wish I did this with my gear install (I do all my own work except stuff like that).
I definately will pay with a credit card.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Just curious, Where are you located? Maybe someone who can help is close to you .
Kory
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM

My Location

Originally Posted by Kory 88 Iroc Lt-1
Just curious, Where are you located? Maybe someone who can help is close to you .
Kory
I'm located in Perryopolis, Pennsylvania which is 40 miles south of Pittsburgh. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Your best bet would be to search a local f body message board for someone who does their own work/ side work. Try to find someone who you could work with. If you were in Wisconsin I could help you. This route is usually alot cheaper than a shop, providing the person doing the work knows what they are doing.
Good luck
Kory
Old 01-24-2008, 05:32 PM

I Have A Question

Your best bet would be to search a local f body message board for someone who does their own work/ side work. Try to find someone who you could work with. If you were in Wisconsin I could help you. This route is usually alot cheaper than a shop, providing the person doing the work knows what they are doing.
Good luck
Kory
I have no idea on how to begin to find a local f body message board. Can you explain this to me? I don't even know how to begin.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Start out looking in the regional section of this message board. Scroll down to the bottom of the main page. Then choose the section for your area. Post in that forum looking for someone who does side work.
That should get you started.
Hope this helps.
Kory
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 PM

local help...

If you lived near Springfield Mo i'd help!
I did this exact thing for Critter on here (do a search for critter!)when he lived here going to college, and everything turned out great! He calles me (he lives in Texas now!) once in a while to let me know how its going! Sorry Pennsylvainia is a bit too far.
This is why I think it's best to be at least somewhat competent with fixing cars. That way you can get help, while at the same time doing a lot of the work and learning a lot yourself.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:12 PM

Thanks For The Insight

Start out looking in the regional section of this message board. Scroll down to the bottom of the main page. Then choose the section for your area. Post in that forum looking for someone who does side work.
That should get you started.
Hope this helps.
Kory
This is a help. I appreciate your guidance. I'm going to post tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 PM

I Agree

This is why I think it's best to be at least somewhat competent with fixing cars. That way you can get help, while at the same time doing a lot of the work and learning a lot yourself.
I've worked on my other cars that I owned but there is something about this one that scares me. I don't even change my own oil with this car.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by hosspwr94
If you lived near Springfield Mo i'd help!
I did this exact thing for Critter on here (do a search for critter!)when he lived here going to college, and everything turned out great! He calles me (he lives in Texas now!) once in a while to let me know how its going! Sorry Pennsylvainia is a bit too far.
That's really nice of you. Too bad I live so far north.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 PM

very first thing is to head over to http://shbox.com/page/index.html
lots of info there. Its been a great refresher for me having been away from the lt1 for about 5 yrs now.
The cars are easy to work on, just be patient w/ it and use the right tool for the job.
definitely check out discount tires site. sometimes they run a deal for $100 off on a set.
Just call around to some engine shops or find a car show and ask people who they use.
Figure on $1000-1800 for machine work and stock quality rebuild parts if you can remove the engine and take it into the shop depending on the damage thats done and what can be reused.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 AM

Don't be afraid to work on it yourself. It is no different than any other car. It does however take some special tricks/tactics to do some things. For example, the factor recomends dropping the engine out the bottom. MANY people on this board, myself included, have yanked the motor out the top. Fix what breaks (ebay is your friend on some things) and keep it, and enjoy it. That is why I still have mine.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks For The Link

Originally Posted by BigBadBlack93Z
very first thing is to head over to http://shbox.com/page/index.html
lots of info there. Its been a great refresher for me having been away from the lt1 for about 5 yrs now.
The cars are easy to work on, just be patient w/ it and use the right tool for the job.
definitely check out discount tires site. sometimes they run a deal for $100 off on a set.
Just call around to some engine shops or find a car show and ask people who they use.
Figure on $1000-1800 for machine work and stock quality rebuild parts if you can remove the engine and take it into the shop depending on the damage thats done and what can be reused.
Thanks for the link to the site. I found it useful. Sorry it took so long to respond. I forgot my user name and password.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM

Thank You

Originally Posted by NovaTodd
Don't be afraid to work on it yourself. It is no different than any other car. It does however take some special tricks/tactics to do some things. For example, the factor recomends dropping the engine out the bottom. MANY people on this board, myself included, have yanked the motor out the top. Fix what breaks (ebay is your friend on some things) and keep it, and enjoy it. That is why I still have mine.
Sorry it took so long to respond. I forgot my user name and password. I heard that people pulled the motors out of the top too. I agree e-bay is really good. I like looking at the drive train components.

Quick Reply: 1995 350 LT1 Blown Head Gasket