LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1997 LT1 Stumble/Surge/High RPM Miss SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 09:31 AM

I agree, the 97 I just bought had a high end miss and acted like it was hitting the rev limiter around 5500. A few F-bod freinds locally were all optispark optispark optispark. Since I didnt know the history of the car I went ahead and replaced the plugs and the coil wire and all but one plug was missing the little puck on the electrode, the gap on those plugs measure .090 !!!! car runs fine now.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:08 AM

Re: 1997 LT1 Stumble/Surge/High RPM Miss SOLVED!

Originally posted by CCRJon

If you guys have the means and the money (this little upgrade cost me $275 for the install, $72 for the wires, and $48 for the plugs), I highly recommend replacing your plugs and wires ASAP!

Adios!

CCRJon
Hey if you need the plugs changed again I'll do em for you for 1/2 that much, I'm about 20 minutes from you
Old 03-05-2003, 10:16 AM

Well I'm glad the simple upgrade of plugs and wires work for you. You got a good break. Now let me give you a bad break story. A buddy of mine has a 95 Z28 and ofcourse when he first got it he wanted to go ahead and upgrade all the minor stuff including plugs and wireds. Well 2 days after the new plugs he got a real bad hesitation. When I say bad, I mean I wouldn't of pulled up beside a stock 95 GT that is usually a walk in the park. Well since the plugs were just changed that was the last thought considered and he decided it was his opti junk . Ofcourse $400 or so later he had the new opti-junk on and there was no change in the car. Come to find out the other dumb*** who put the plugs in twisted off on one of them and cracked a plug. Two days later it had completely snapped and there was your problem. He still has the plug and if anyone wants it. It will cost you a little over $400. That's what it cost him atleast. So count your blessings , it could of been alot worse.

John
Old 03-05-2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by stylingxtremed
Well I'm glad the simple upgrade of plugs and wires work for you. You got a good break. Now let me give you a bad break story. A buddy of mine has a 95 Z28 and ofcourse when he first got it he wanted to go ahead and upgrade all the minor stuff including plugs and wireds. Well 2 days after the new plugs he got a real bad hesitation. When I say bad, I mean I wouldn't of pulled up beside a stock 95 GT that is usually a walk in the park. Well since the plugs were just changed that was the last thought considered and he decided it was his opti junk . Ofcourse $400 or so later he had the new opti-junk on and there was no change in the car. Come to find out the other dumb*** who put the plugs in twisted off on one of them and cracked a plug. Two days later it had completely snapped and there was your problem. He still has the plug and if anyone wants it. It will cost you a little over $400. That's what it cost him atleast. So count your blessings , it could of been alot worse.

John
It could be a lot worse & was a lot worse for me to figure out my same issues. I was living at home & put new plugs & wires in & it still didn't help my cars miss. So I decieded to take it in the but & bring it to the dealer. Well they told me the opti is gone so I told them to replace it. $980 parts & labor to do the opti. I am driving the car home & tada!!! It was missing again. I turned right around & took the dealer for a ride & there was no miss. Then I went home & once again on the way home it missed. I was furious & vowed never to deal with a dealer again. I moved out & once I had my own garage I decieded to check the wires & that is when I found 2 rather new Accel wires cracked. Changed them along with the plugs again & like magic my car has never missed again. I got raped by the dealer & when I told them of my findings they said the diagnostics don't lie. I really wish I knew then what I know now. I would have made the dealer look like an idiot but still accomplished nothing. I still get a sick feeling & feel like going over there to tell them off. Especially when I can use the $980 for my mortgage.... And this was 3 years ago!!