LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1997 Project Continued

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 09:10 AM

Re: 1997 Project Continued

Weird your TB elbow didn't clear the EWP...mine does. I did cut off the part that sticks down on the elbow. IDK what would be different in that regard between my LT1 in B-body vs F-body...but you are there and can see what I can't so whatever you gotta do

IDK the pin #, name but understand what you intend by using the air pump circuit to run the EWP. EFI Connections may have the pins you seek. I suspect there is a write-up somewhere on converting the air pump circuit for EWP. I did mine 20 years ago but just wired in a outboard relay/fuse

Your build is looking very good Drew. Is the red split loom you are using heat resistant??
Normally you would use "grey stripe" (heat resistant) split loom rated for underhold use but IDK if it comes in colors. I buy that & blue stripe (fire resistant) in 100' rolls on internet and the $ is very low.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Check the factory service manual electrical section. It has end diagrams of the various connectors, and indicates the type of connector - e.g. metripack, micropack, etc.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:06 PM

Thanks Fred, I will take a look.

I am not sure about the loom, this was all Taylor stuff that I bought way back when. I am actually moving to the painless loom that you have to cut with a heat knife because it is so much easier to work with. For the red stuff, outside my original electrical issue where the crank sensor wire ran right next to the header, I have not had any melting issues.

Ill take a pic of the original elbow. I also removed the resonance tube and put in an aluminum plug, but it still hung too low. I could have cut the tub, and cut down the plug, but I was not feeling very hacky.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:09 PM

Here is the original elbow. I would say I had at least 1/2” of interference with the EWP.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:46 PM

IDK but when I bought my F-body elbow it had that part sticking out/down and I just cut it off. It did not have a hole "in" to the elbow itself. Back then it was for a F-body, IDK. Would have to dig through receipts to find a part #. It was purchased from a guy named Dal who at the time supported the B-body community with "at cost" parts he worked at a dealership

I bought the elbow because I eliminated what was referred to as "home base" which was the plastic resonator that sat on top of the b-body LT1but there was a 3" hole in top of those elbows that resonator went in so you needed to plug that hole when removing "home base"...many used a Hockey puc to do that. I just bought the F-body elbow instead

Your solid one will work. Yeah it would present more heat soak than a rubber one but IDK to what extent that would affect your HP if any
Old 04-04-2020, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chimera96
IDK but when I bought my F-body elbow it had that part sticking out/down and I just cut it off. It did not have a hole "in" to the elbow itself. Back then it was for a F-body, IDK. Would have to dig through receipts to find a part #. It was purchased from a guy named Dal who at the time supported the B-body community with "at cost" parts he worked at a dealership

I bought the elbow because I eliminated what was referred to as "home base" which was the plastic resonator that sat on top of the b-body LT1but there was a 3" hole in top of those elbows that resonator went in so you needed to plug that hole when removing "home base"...many used a Hockey puc to do that. I just bought the F-body elbow instead

Your solid one will work. Yeah it would present more heat soak than a rubber one but IDK to what extent that would affect your HP if any
Sounds like you had a 1LE (low production option) intake elbow. It had the projection for the silencer, but there was no opening inside. The non-1LE elbow (meaning almost all of the F-Body’s) had an opening for the silencer.

http://shbox.com/1/elbow_bottom.jpg
Old 04-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Administrator

From Shoebox:

1993-1994 1LE intake elbow
(no vent hole for opti) 25147210

1995-1997 1LE intake elbow
(for vented opti) 25147187

Old 04-04-2020, 04:13 PM

From what I understand he 1LE rubber elbow has the a small part that hangs down, but does not penetrate into elbow itself; that is likely what you have. This ends up being cleaner since the opti vent hole needed to be deleted which I had just plugged with black rtv.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:32 AM

Yes I have the 1LE elbow. Thanks for "refreshing" my memory. IDK if they are still available to buy. It has the port for the blue vac nipple of opti vent harness
Old 04-05-2020, 09:10 AM

They had the 1LE at Hawks, but I didn’t feel like spending an extra $40 on a 20 year old part.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM

I was able to pop out the fuse terminal today using really small allen wrenches after identifying the terminal style GM Con-III series terminal and what held them in the box.

Before I start changing any wiring, the fuse for the air pump is already switched power with a 12 gauge feed wire powering the air pump, abs and fan/accy. Since there is already a fused, switched connection, that already had a 20 amp load, I should just need to wire the pump to the cold side of the air pump fuse, right? I thought it was strange that this fuse still had power with the air pump relay removed.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:23 PM

I started digging into the service manual, and what I am seeing doesn't make any sense to me.

The description says that the orange wire coming from the fuse is hot at all times. Does that mean hot when the car is on? Battery connected, key off, I get no voltage at this point. Key on, 12V. Any ideas? I could just rewire the relay, but if fuse 7 is already a switch power feed, I would rather not reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 PM
Administrator

“Hot at all times” means it comes directly from the battery, and does not pass through the ignition switch. Typically, there is a fusible link in the wire that supplies that power, at the red “+” box near the battery. Look for the “power distribution” diagram to confirm. The PCM supplies the ground to the control side of the relay, and that can only happen when the PCM has switched power.

When measuring the voltage at pin E1 or E5, what are you using as a ground?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:44 PM
Administrator

The 95 diagram would appear to match yours Except for wire color, plus shows the fusible link.

http://shbox.com/1/1995_pcm4.jpg

Note also in 96 diagram, fuse 7 is not shown in the array of fuses supplied with switched power:

http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic96.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 04-06-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
“Hot at all times” means it comes directly from the battery, and does not pass through the ignition switch. Typically, there is a fusible link in the wire that supplies that power, at the red “+” box near the battery. Look for the “power distribution” diagram to confirm. The PCM supplies the ground to the control side of the relay, and that can only happen when the PCM has switched power.

When measuring the voltage at pin E1 or E5, what are you using as a ground?
Reading over some of the other diagrams I figured hot meant always connected. I had not yet tested at the relay, I was testing at the air pump fuse. With the fuse in, I measured across the fuse contacts key on and key off. I also verified the feed side by testing the pin to the radiator support ground.

I must be missing something with how this circuit it working.

Quick Reply: 1997 Project Continued