LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1st post, need info on first mods or any advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:49 PM

Re: 1st post, need info on first mods or any advice.

Originally Posted by keng
Wow, man this is weired, the Z28 has everyting th emustnag is'nt, but the few things th stand has the camaro does not. Like a strong rear end or ans weak ignition.

aso for the ignition, do need to change a cap or rotor every tune up how does that work?
I'd say change the plugs and wires if they need it, otherwise dont bother the opti, and hope the opti doesn't bother you. As long as you keep your ignition stock, no msd stuff, no accel stuff etc and aren't making over 400hp the opti is a good ignition. And when left alone people seem to have a lot less problems. My dad had 150k on one of his LT1 cars when he died, and no opti problems at all, and he had another 80k on his other car. Once again no problems.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by IrocManiac
I'd say change the plugs and wires if they need it, otherwise dont bother the opti, and hope the opti doesn't bother you. As long as you keep your ignition stock, no msd stuff, no accel stuff etc and aren't making over 400hp the opti is a good ignition. And when left alone people seem to have a lot less problems. My dad had 150k on one of his LT1 cars when he died, and no opti problems at all, and he had another 80k on his other car. Once again no problems.

Dude, thanks for the warning, I have an msd and was gonna put it on, but may think twice now.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by disco192
No, but the distributor is a VERY poor design and can crap out on you at any moment. Alot of people convert to coil packs.
How do you convert to coil packs?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by keng
Dude, thanks for the warning, I have an msd and was gonna put it on, but may think twice now.
I'd not recommend that. On 100% healthy car it may be ok, but I remember specifically within three days of us putting it on two cars the opti crapping out. On a couple others it was fine for a while, but after a lot of research and talking with my friend who's a mechanic who had similar experiences I'd say stay away from it.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:03 PM

One mod I would do is getting the computer tuned. For $125 you can get MadWolf to tune your PCM. On stock cars I've seen about 10 or so rwhp gain. Also get a CAI, and a complete exhaust, headers, ORY-Pipe, and a catback. I wouldn't do any mods that didn't give me HP/TQ in the beginning. Later on you can do the stuff like shifter, gears, suspension, etc. to help control the HP you gain in the beginning.

Ant
Old 02-22-2005, 10:22 PM

There are two ways of going. 1) Ltcc, it uses the coil packs off of LSx cars and trucks. 2) Delteq, it uses coil packs form Northstar Caddies. Both work great! IMO, the delteq is a better system form the stand point it is much easier to install and buying parts. Although, I am Bias towards the Delteq. I have had this system for almost 2 yrs now. Love it!

http://www.elitesparkplugs.com/

or

http://www.delteq.com/products.htm

here is some info on LTCC http://web.camaross.com/forums/searc...earchid=381637
Old 02-23-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
ebay is a good place for used (and new) parts. just watch out. there are alot of "generic" parts that won't gain you anything. particularly in the CAI stuff. stick with one of the name brands.

97 is an obd2 computer, meaning it has rear o2 sensors to monitor the cats. if you remeove them you need to either have o2 simulators to fool the computer or have them programmed out. although not doing this and just living with the SES light for a while will be fine. the code for the rear o2 sensors has NO AFFECT on the running of the engine.

throttle body bypass re-routes coolant lines. hot coolant is plumbed through the TB in order to help warm the car up faster. once hot all this does is keep the TB very warm, increasing the temp of th incoming air...in turn dropping hp. i've seen dyno sheets show 5-6hp from this mod. it's not really "gained" hp...more like "regaining lost hp"

as for codes, you need some kind of scanner to read them. call around your local auto parts stores, some scan for free. i know AutoZone use to.
throttle body bypass re-routes coolant lines

where can I find info on this mod?