LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

2-3 Shift Solenoid Problem. Help Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 04:04 PM

2-3 Shift Solenoid Problem. Help Needed.

Looks like i've got a P0758 error code, which is a 2-3 Shift Solenoid.

I am hoping I can just pop in a new one and by done, but I'm sure it's not going to be that easy. It never is.

Anyone have any experience with that problem? If it is the 2-3 Shift Solenoid, Does anyone know if that's something that simply goes out on it's own, of is it something that goes out because something else is wrong? I know it might be impossible to tell without looking, but are there any opinions? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:14 PM

It's not that hard of a thing to do. Very messy though. Drop the pan, unplug the solenoid, pull the retaining clip and slide it out. Reverse the procedure and you are done.

As for what caused it. All I can do is speculate. On my car it think it was the arcing of bad plug wires. High voltage leaks can cause havoc on the electrical parts.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:51 PM

AhHA! High voltage leaks. When this happened, I actually made a hard stop. When I did that, My battery slid forward a little bit, when I opened the hood, the positive lead was making intermitant contact with the battery terminal. I just had a new batt installed at a costco and those idiots not only forgot to tighten the battery down, but also stripped my battery stud and it popped out.

That is precisely when the ses light cam on. I am also getting a whining noise from the speakers even with the stereo off, so I am hoping the bad solenoid is causing that noise. Anyone else agree or disagree? I would like to add that my car stereo has a trunk mounted 1 farad cap that leads right to the battery.

I have no problem with the solenoid replacement, but what I could use help on is what the cause was and anything else that might have got fugged up.